Tuffy Center Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tuffy Center Console

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
kash34
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tuffy Center Console

So my second aftermarket deck was just pried out of my dash the other night. This time they took a 9 and box combo from the back as well. Looking into buying a Tuffy Center Console with the compartment for mounting a deck.

Was hoping that someone can clear up for me whether or not the retractable lid for the separate compartment actually locks?
All the reviews say that the main compartment is 2.5x bigger and locks, but doesn't specify if you just flip open the other side and yank out the deck.

Also, if you have this installed, what do you do with the gaping hole in your dash? Any other advice/tips would also be appreciated.

*2006 Automatic LJ

kash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
BearinNM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Kash,

Not sure which Tuffy you are looking at but my unit, from 20 so years ago has the main compartment and up front one for the headunit. On mine there is a seperate lid for the front, which swings to the front of the entire console. When it is closed, its lip fall under the main lid, and is also locked down tight. I cannot imagine that this would have changed, otherwise it would not be advertised as security for a stereo.

Not sure on the gaping holes on an LJ, but in my YJ it was a great place to mount a power inverter. I run a lesser wattage one there that was not expensive at all so if it is stolen no big. I keep my big one stashed under the hood. Could also be a good spot for just a tray to catch possibles, perhaps for the cell phone, lots of possible uses. Heck you could even create a flat "cover" and use it for aux. switches for other gear.

Craig
BearinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i vote aux switches!

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash34 View Post
So my second aftermarket deck was just pried out of my dash the other night. This time they took a 9 and box combo from the back as well. Looking into buying a Tuffy Center Console with the compartment for mounting a deck.

Was hoping that someone can clear up for me whether or not the retractable lid for the separate compartment actually locks?
All the reviews say that the main compartment is 2.5x bigger and locks, but doesn't specify if you just flip open the other side and yank out the deck.

Also, if you have this installed, what do you do with the gaping hole in your dash? Any other advice/tips would also be appreciated.

*2006 Automatic LJ
The stereo lid will actually lock under the main, larger lid, so they're both secured with one lock. This way, you can have the main lid closed while you're driving (to use the armrest) and have the stereo lid open so you can access your tunes.
Tuffy makes a couple different products to address the radio dash hole - a tray that fits in the space for a bit more storage, or a blank-out plate that can be used for switches, etc...check out our dealers for a good deal!
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-196-1...tout-tray.aspx
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-197-1...out-cover.aspx
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
kash34
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
kash34
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you get just the rear console, is there a way to modify it so that your deck can be hooked up inside the main storage?
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
bdheaton
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

*2006 Automatic LJ
You can close it off with a plate and mount some switches. If you don't feel like cutting the plate, Quadratec has a block-off plate with backing frame.
bdheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
If you get just the rear console, is there a way to modify it so that your deck can be hooked up inside the main storage?
You probably could - it just wouldn't be as clean an install as if you used a stereo console. Attach it to the inside wall of the console and put a surround around it and you'll still have a good amount of space for storage, I think.
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , console , deck , stolen , tuffy products

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.