Trouble Code Reading Without Scantool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Trouble Code Reading Without Scantool

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-23-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
MechMan422
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Trouble Code Reading Without Scantool

I wanted if anyone knew how to read a trouble code on my OBDII equipped 2000 jeep cherokee sport. I know on an OBDI system you could cycle the key on/off and the check engine light would flash the code, but is there something similar i can do to an OBDII system, like jumpering some connectors, or cycling the key on/off a certain number of times? i know you can use a scan tool to read the codes real easily but i want to know if there is any other way to view them?

Thanks in Advance!

[url]http://www.mtscolorado.com[/url]
MechMan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

absolutely! it's actually pretty fun...

put key in ignition, push and hold the odometer/trip mileage button (the little black one that comes out of the gauge cluster). turn the key to the "ON" position (where all the electronics turn on) while still holding the odometer/trip mileage button..do not start the Jeep! just turn it to "ON," the release the button.

the gauges will start their "dance:" calibrating themsleves, and the digital odometer readout will countdown (or does it count up? )...AFTER it's done calibrating, the digital odo readout will display any error codes.

haven't had to check any error codes, but it's fun to watch

hope this helps
~J

oh BTW, this works on my '99 TJ Sport..pretty sure it's the same for a '00
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

the key on-off-on-off-on method is not just for OBDI vehicles...I've had it work on some OBDII as well, just either of my TJs...

FYI...AutoZone reads/clears them for free...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
RWB214

There is no way to do it without a scan tool on any 98+ XJ. It is possible on TJ's but not Cherokees (I've tried every possible method on mine). Doing the above trick will test and calibrate all the guages but won't read out any codes.

Mabye if you swapped a TJ instrument cluster into an XJ... are they compatable?
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
MechMan422
1991 XJ Cherokee 

yea they are compatable but that wouldnt affect the opperation of the gauges. youd have to swap the PCM's for that to work and i dont think you could do that sucessfully.
[url]http://www.mtscolorado.com[/url]
MechMan422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.