TrailRock - Best Speakers for Stock TJ Head Unit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TrailRock - Best Speakers for Stock TJ Head Unit?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

TrailRock - Best Speakers for Stock TJ Head Unit?

I have an '05 TJ. It was an X, so it's only got the two overhead speaker pods and the two dash speakers. I am looking for the best speakers to give decent sound with the stock head unit.

I know I will need to get or make brackets so I can put some 5.25" in the dash, and I am prepared for that. I do not want amps, subs, or any of that because with the tools and recovery gear I bring wheeling with me, I just don't have room for all of that stuff. I'm willing to spend $ on four great speakers and the brackets I mentioned above, but that's it - I'm just looking get the most out of that upgrade.

I appreciate the advice...

JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony...anything you can find with the lowest RMS rating possible. You might also want to check out the Kickers that Quadratec carries that plug right in to the factory harness.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2X1_PG.htm

I'd go listen to some 5 1/4" Kicker speakers before ordering those, of course. Don't buy anything you can't hear first.
Unread 04-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is the RMS rating? What does it mean, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, sorry. The RMS is the wattage the speaker is built to handle continuously. Your factory HU puts out very low wattage, so you'll get the best results with a speaker that's also built to handle low wattage. This is not to be confused with "max" or "peak" power, which is a meaningless number, for all intents and purposes. Some companies refer to RMS wattage as "continuous power" or something of the sort. Look for speakers that are rated 30 watts RMS or lower. On the link I posted above, if you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that the RMS power rating on those speakers is 6-35 watts. Your stock head unit probably puts out somewhere around 10 watts per channel.
Unread 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
SirGCal

Yup, if you're dead set on no amp, keep the rated RMS of the new speakers as low as possible so the head unit can maintain the most control over them. Even after market radios that say 50Wx4 don't really do that. Most of them are 18-22W of usable power. RMS is all that matters. Don't let salesmen tell you differently as unfortunately, most of them really have no idea what they're doing.

However, you could also add a small amp to the mix and still keep the stock head unit and such if you want to get more volume out of the combination. Still, go listen to speakers before buying anything.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't suppose I could convince you to get a new head unit? It's not as good as an amp, but it would REALLY help and not take up any extra space. Could even let you run USB, ipod and other non-skip medias for trail riding.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Don't suppose I could convince you to get a new head unit? It's not as good as an amp, but it would REALLY help and not take up any extra space. Could even let you run USB, ipod and other non-skip medias for trail riding.
I suppose I could consider a new head unit. It would be nice to have direct plug-in capability for my iPod, instead of the FM transmitter that I use now. Do you have a specific brand/model in mind?
Unread 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the advice everyone. Does anyone else have specific recommendations for the brand/model of speakers?
Unread 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
txfiremn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use Memphis Audio without an amp and the stock head unit. I like the sound I get from them.
txfiremn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony...anything you can find with the lowest RMS rating possible. You might also want to check out the Kickers that Quadratec carries that plug right in to the factory harness.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2X1_PG.htm

I'd go listen to some 5 1/4" Kicker speakers before ordering those, of course. Don't buy anything you can't hear first.
I went with the kicker coaxials (before they became the catalog drop-ins) and they were great off the factory headunit. I still have a set for rear-fill in my soundbar. They're also really durable, mine have been through many rainstorms, a tornado (yes in CT), and just having the top down may-sept.

You can also check out infinity speakers or mb quart since both are known to get loud off minimal power.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2964

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=987
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #11
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWood05TJ View Post
I suppose I could consider a new head unit. It would be nice to have direct plug-in capability for my iPod, instead of the FM transmitter that I use now. Do you have a specific brand/model in mind?
Quote:
I appreciate the advice everyone. Does anyone else have specific recommendations for the brand/model of speakers?
Alpine. I love my unit. Look at the CDA models. I have the 9886. Pricey, but I can listen to nearly any format out there besides DVDs.

But if you have an Ipod, you probably don't need a USB port unless you want one.

I'd suggest the CDA 9885. The biolite display is VERY nice and very easy to read.

Here's a pic of my unit:

The face pops off too. Sound quality is much better, even with the stock speakers. I ran with just the headunit on the stock system and it was much better, much sharper of a sound.

As for speakers, I went with Focal. Best sounding speakers I came across. And the ones in the pods have a surprising amount of bass.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got the Alpine head unit that bman suggested and also the Infinity Reference 5.25s front and rear. Sounds much better now. I also ordered the Alpine KTP-445 amp, which goes on the back of the head unit and won't take up any of my tool/recovery gear space. 4 X 45W

Thanks for the help on this.
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
Knocky
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pix Bman, I have been looking at the Alpine brands and it looks sweet in the dash.

Now I need to consider the best way to turn all the dash lights blue to match it.
Knocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I got the Alpine head unit that bman suggested and also the Infinity Reference 5.25s front and rear. Sounds much better now. I also ordered the Alpine KTP-445 amp, which goes on the back of the head unit and won't take up any of my tool/recovery gear space. 4 X 45W

Thanks for the help on this.
when you get that amp, post up some pics. It's a very interesting idea, and perfect for jeeps and what little space we have, so I'm interested to see what it really looks like.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Thanks for the pix Bman, I have been looking at the Alpine brands and it looks sweet in the dash.

Now I need to consider the best way to turn all the dash lights blue to match it.
Here's a good thread about it. I've thought about doing the same. Blue LEDs look good, and would match the stereo really well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/dash-cluster-makover-heres-pics-370486/

† Christian Jeep Club †

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.