post #1 of Old 02-14-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
cg42

Touch Screen Problem with the 730N

The touch screen on my 730N has stopped responding. The screen is still on and the side button controls still work. Basically when you press an on-screen control it either doesn't recognize the touch or it recognizes it as 5 or more touches of the same control.

Has anyone else experienced this?

post #2 of Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Avbates
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have just purchased today a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited and the radio (730N) has the same problem, any suggestion. I am taking it back to the dealer but wonder if it could be a user problem?
post #3 of Old 04-27-2015, 01:11 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avbates View Post
I have just purchased today a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited and the radio (730N) has the same problem, any suggestion. I am taking it back to the dealer but wonder if it could be a user problem?
Hey Avbates,
Try removing and re-adding your UConnect access account on the UConnect system, there may have been an issue with pairing your phone. I’ve included the instructions below. However, I recommend taking the vehicle into the dealer if the concern persists.
Attached Thumbnails
RTN Instructions.PNG  
post #4 of Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Avbates
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got the phone paired using the voice controls. My problem is the touch screen doesnt work so any "soft buttons" cannot be pressed
post #5 of Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avbates View Post
I got the phone paired using the voice controls. My problem is the touch screen doesnt work so any "soft buttons" cannot be pressed
Avbates,

Please private message me your VIN and dealer so I can look into your concern further.

Thank you,
post #6 of Old 05-07-2015, 04:00 PM
amtmann

I am also experiencing this problem on my 2009 Rubicon. Soft keys work SOMETIMES but not most of the time. When they do recognize that I'm pressing them, it usually ends up changing my preset rather than just changing the radio station. Has anyone found a solution?
post #7 of Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM
mech_rules

Same here...2012 JKU 730N Touchscreen Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Avbates,

Please private message me your VIN and dealer so I can look into your concern further.

Thank you,
I'm on my second 730N. The first one and now it's replacement have had their touchscreens become completely unresponsive. All functionality with respect to SAT and radio remain and all hard keys work but with the dead screen it is nearly useless. Both units started with random episodes where the 730N would magically begin changing settings, presets, channels, volume, etc. This then lead to a less responsive unit and the an unresponsive touchscreen. The first one was replaced under warranty but alas this one crapped out on me in month 38 of a 36 month warranty. The dealer offered another replacement of the same model for nearly $1000. Fool me once, twice, but seriously-who would pay $1000 for the same faulty unit.

Any suggestions at all as to how one may move forward? I love the functionality with the steering wheel controls and favourites programming and that's why I'm hesitant to go after market.
Thanks a bunch in advance.
post #8 of Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 AM
BBBBZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Were there any fixes for this problem or do you just have to buy a new unit? Are there any decent aftermarket models that don't cost $1,000?
post #9 of Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech_rules View Post
I'm on my second 730N. The first one and now it's replacement have had their touchscreens become completely unresponsive. All functionality with respect to SAT and radio remain and all hard keys work but with the dead screen it is nearly useless. Both units started with random episodes where the 730N would magically begin changing settings, presets, channels, volume, etc. This then lead to a less responsive unit and the an unresponsive touchscreen. The first one was replaced under warranty but alas this one crapped out on me in month 38 of a 36 month warranty. The dealer offered another replacement of the same model for nearly $1000. Fool me once, twice, but seriously-who would pay $1000 for the same faulty unit.

Any suggestions at all as to how one may move forward? I love the functionality with the steering wheel controls and favourites programming and that's why I'm hesitant to go after market.
Hey mech rules,

I am sorry to hear about your continued concerns with your vehicle’s radio system. I was unable to locate any TSBs that related to your vehicle. If you would like me to look further into this for you, please private message me your VIN and servicing dealer.
post #10 of Old 10-21-2015, 07:57 AM
OkcPuckfan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It seems to me that I read in one of the forums, that it is possible to shrink the "touch" area of the screen down to something like an 1/8" in one corner of the screen area. The fix is to locate that area and expand it. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it. I am old and male so the memory can be somewhat selective (according to my wife anyway!)

Good luck with this.

'Puckfan
post #11 of Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 AM
rob2
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I have the problem of the radio touchscreen going crazy similar to above " magically begin changing settings, presets, channels, volume, etc."

I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.. and the radio started acting up last year, dealer said not under warranty.

In my case, it seems limited to just acting like I'm touching the screen randomly: presets / channels, if in navigation as if I'm touching the nav screen. Then this stops happening for a while.

Other problem is that every few months all presets are wiped clear, radio goes back to defaults for all presets, Sat and Radio.

Dealer also told me I'd need a new radio. Forget that, if I'm replacing it it will be with some other aftermarket radio combo.
post #12 of Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just had the same thing happen to my 730N RER. I just replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-X2700BS. A 730N that works with a bad touch screen is worth between $100 and $200 on ebay. I sold mine to help fund my new stereo. Plugged it in last night to check electrical and sounds great. I still have to pull the rear bracket. Finish that on Friday.
post #13 of Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 AM
mech_rules

Has if died yet? THat's what happened with both of mine prior to permanently being touch-disabled. Great fun with pre-teens in the car and Howard pops on the SAT.
post #14 of Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 AM
mech_rules

I'll have a look at the Pioneer deck...thanks for the suggestion on selling the POS 730.
post #15 of Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Has if died yet? THat's what happened with both of mine prior to permanently being touch-disabled. Great fun with pre-teens in the car and Howard pops on the SAT.
Everything else,worked fine.