TJ wont start, makes one tick noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ wont start, makes one tick noise

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ wont start, makes one tick noise

So my jeep has sat all weekend and i go to start it today and it just makes one tick noise when i try to start it. Didnt have time to diagnose much or jump it but all the lights light up, it still powers my winch fine and bumps the sub and speakers so i dont think its a bad battery, any ideas?

04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remove both battery cables and then wire brush the battery posts and inside of the battery connectors... such a problem is normally from just a bad battery connection. Then replace them and tighten the connectors tight enough that you can't rotate/move the connectors around when you try to twist them with your hands. They have to be on the battery posts tight.

If that doesn't help, turn your headlights on and have someone watch them while you turn the key to Start. If the headlights dim/go out when the key is in the Start position and you've cleaned & tightened both battery connections, odds are very good your battery either needs to be recharged or it has gone bad like with a dead cell. Having the battery load tested by a good battery store is the only way to know your battery's true health.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had lots of problems with corrosive terminals in the past but these terminals and battery are only a few months old. But ill try that. It did this to me a few days ago at a gas station but i tried to start it again and it started right up.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Loosened the terminals and just turned them back and forth a few times and works fine now.
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That was a good short-term fix.

Unread 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What can i do to prevent that from happening? It happened alot on my older battery and terminals.
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
What can i do to prevent that from happening? It happened alot on my older battery and terminals.
Other than what was suggested already in the first paragraph of post #2 above?

Unread 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
A longer term fix is what was suggested already in the first paragraph of post #2 above.

That problem is mostly confined to flooded cell (conventional) batteries leaking sulphuric acid fumes from the vent caps or crack in the case. Going to better quality sealed AGM battery pretty much eliminates the problem. Plus you can spray an anti-corrosive spray from an auto parts store over the connectors to slow the accumulation of corrosion down.

Unread 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a sealed no maintenance "flush top" battery from AAA so ill just get some anticorrosive stuff and put it on the terminals.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.