TJ Speaker Placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ Speaker Placement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Speaker Placement

OK, here's my plan but not too sure how it will sound. 2000 TJ Since I hate the overhead speakers high notes in my ears, and you can't hear the dash speakers, I was planning on modifieng the overhead sound bar to fit two 6" mids and then putting the tweeters near the kick panels. I also will have an 8" sub in the consul. Thoughts on how this might sounds, and sugestions on speaker brand and an amp to run everything? Thanks for the input.

duhamel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhamel17 View Post
OK, here's my plan but not too sure how it will sound. 2000 TJ Since I hate the overhead speakers high notes in my ears, and you can't hear the dash speakers, I was planning on modifieng the overhead sound bar to fit two 6" mids and then putting the tweeters near the kick panels. I also will have an 8" sub in the consul. Thoughts on how this might sounds, and sugestions on speaker brand and an amp to run everything? Thanks for the input.
You say you can't hear the dash speakers. Are they still good? Are you able to adjust the balance/fade? Factory 4"x6" I assume?

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dash speakers have been replaced with 5 1/4's and I have a small 30 watt amp powering them, they just don't seem to put out any power. I am planning on building fiberglass enclosures for the mids in the sound bar.
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heres what I did

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/PV...?sort=2&page=1

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701 View Post
Those rear speakers look insane. What did you use for your setup in that system?
Jacob02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Head unit Eclipse cd 8443, 8 volt rca output deck.
Front speakers Dash: Sony Xplod 5.25 with Baffels and polyfill. Front speakers firewall: Sony xpold 5.25 in mod pods with polyfill. Powered by Rockford Fosgate 400a4 amp running all four 5.25 speakers.
Consul sub: Kicker comp RT 6 3/4 sub in stock encloser with polyfill and Powered by stock jeeps sub amp.
Roll bar pods: Sony Xplod 6.5 with polyfill, using front channels of a Rockfors Fosgate 600a4 amp
Rear 6x9's: Eclipse Source point 6x9's in boxs with polyfill Using the rear Channels of a Rockford Fosgate 600a4
Rear subs: Two 10" Eclipse subs in a box made for Wanglers with polyfill and Powered by Rockford Fosgate 360a2 Bridged
Capacitor forget brand 2 farad.

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Ryanmccartney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anything sounds better then stock

I can't tell you how it will sound everyone likes a different sound

I will tell you what's in my TJ and I think it sounds awesome

Alpine media unit 50x4 powering 4x6 kickers in the dash and 6" kickers in the speaker bar

One 10" competition sub behind back seat and 700watt mono amp under back seat powering sub
The amp came with a epicentre to help dial in the sound you want

Around here people like to steal stereos and jeeps make it easy

With the sub box bolted down and gate locked you can't remove box or flip seat to access amp

Hope this helps

Rye
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701 View Post
Head unit Eclipse cd 8443, 8 volt rca output deck.
Front speakers Dash: Sony Xplod 5.25 with Baffels and polyfill. Front speakers firewall: Sony xpold 5.25 in mod pods with polyfill. Powered by Rockford Fosgate 400a4 amp running all four 5.25 speakers.
Consul sub: Kicker comp RT 6 3/4 sub in stock encloser with polyfill and Powered by stock jeeps sub amp.
Roll bar pods: Sony Xplod 6.5 with polyfill, using front channels of a Rockfors Fosgate 600a4 amp
Rear 6x9's: Eclipse Source point 6x9's in boxs with polyfill Using the rear Channels of a Rockford Fosgate 600a4
Rear subs: Two 10" Eclipse subs in a box made for Wanglers with polyfill and Powered by Rockford Fosgate 360a2 Bridged
Capacitor forget brand 2 farad.
Jacob02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll tell you the system that I'm currently running. No high ear damaging notes due to balance between high, low, and mid.

Front: Amazon 5 1/4 speaker adapters with Boston Acoustics 35W RMS speakers.

Soundbar: Same Boston Acoustics 35W RMS 5 1/4 speakers.

Rear (trunk): Alpine Type R 10" Subwoofer, 500W RMS in custom-made box.

Amplifier to speakers (pushing front and soundbar): Alpine MRP-500 500W amplifier.

Amplifier to subwoofer: Alpine 500W (RMS) monoblock.

The subwoofer balanced out the sound and allowed me to lower the treble and balance more towards mid, which is a real ear-saver.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With a quality set of neutral speakers it should be fine to have the speakers in your ears (don't go with anything bright). I don't recommend separating the tweeters from the woofers like that if they are a pair. If powered correctly you should have a balanced sound coming from the front to match the rear speakers. Replace the front speakers and match them with what you put in the pods above your head. What are you powering the subwoofer with? Personally I like Focal and run an Alpine SWRT10 subwoofer in my center console. Here are a some pictures of what I did (and do for a hobby business).

Sierra Mountain Enterprises' Slim line Subwoofer Console

Alpine 9855 Receiver

Sierra Mountain Enterprises JeePods housing a pair of Focal PC165 speakers

I Removed the stock speakers from the dash pods and replaced with a set of Focal Polyglass CVX 100 speakers (4"). I had to cut a hole out of the back for them to fit but they sound great. If your model doesn't have pods you can find a set on Ebay fairly easy.

All powered by an Alpine PDX 5 (75 watts RMS x4 plus 300 watts RMS mono) located in my glove box. I recommend sticking with Coaxial speakers in a TJ, makes things easy and the sound can be positioned/properly directional (the tweeter centered in the speaker is the best location for most applications). Alpine makes a reasonably priced power pack that is small and will fit in your glove box or behind your dash, puts out 45 watts RMS and really all you need (something to consider). Hope this helps, you can check more out on my website if you like.

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really liking those pods for the sound bar. That is kind of what I was going for my modifying the factory sound bar. Never knew the front pods existed but think I would want 51/4"'s at least up there. have no idea what to use for an amp but would like a 5 channel to run both sets of speakers and the sub. Also needs to be small enough to go in the dash/glovebox since I whell this thing and it sometimes gets cought in the rain without the top.
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm really liking those pods for the sound bar. That is kind of what I was going for my modifying the factory sound bar. Never knew the front pods existed but think I would want 51/4"'s at least up there. have no idea what to use for an amp but would like a 5 channel to run both sets of speakers and the sub. Also needs to be small enough to go in the dash/glovebox since I whell this thing and it sometimes gets cought in the rain without the top.

Yeah hopefully I'll have some JeePods available this summer but they are pricey. Only problem with 5-1/4 speakers in the dash is that you will need to build some sort of pods (otherwise I would much rather have a strong set of 4" speakers in a set of stock pods) so the sound doesn't get lost back in the dash. There are a number of amplifiers out there now that are 5 channel and will fit in the glove box no problem. The PDX amps from Alpine fit as well as a number of JL, Focal and other popular brands. The glove box does lock but in the fall of 2004 someone broke in my ride and broke the lock and stole my JL amp out of the glove box so my lock no longer works (something to keep in mind).

My Rig

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
Yeah hopefully I'll have some JeePods available this summer but they are pricey. Only problem with 5-1/4 speakers in the dash is that you will need to build some sort of pods (otherwise I would much rather have a strong set of 4" speakers in a set of stock pods) so the sound doesn't get lost back in the dash. There are a number of amplifiers out there now that are 5 channel and will fit in the glove box no problem. The PDX amps from Alpine fit as well as a number of JL, Focal and other popular brands. The glove box does lock but in the fall of 2004 someone broke in my ride and broke the lock and stole my JL amp out of the glove box so my lock no longer works (something to keep in mind).
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FcyhOgod5x4ATQ

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post

With all due respect those are not speaker pods. They serve a function but pods allow the speakers to actually have some air space and in best case scenarios room for some poly fill. I probably wouldn't waste my money on speaker baffles or rear covers but that's just me (unless I'm putting the speakers somewhere like the doors where they need to be protected from the elements and even then I'll build some speaker pods or find a way to protect the speakers and use the natural air space in the door for mid bass). Many four inch speakers fit nicely in the stock TJ pods but really those pods could use a little more air space, even four inch speakers are capable of putting out some decent mid bass when properly enclosed.

My Rig

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
With all due respect those are not speaker pods. They serve a function but pods allow the speakers to actually have some air space and in best case scenarios room for some poly fill. I probably wouldn't waste my money on speaker baffles or rear covers but that's just me (unless I'm putting the speakers somewhere like the doors where they need to be protected from the elements and even then I'll build some speaker pods or find a way to protect the speakers and use the natural air space in the door for mid bass). Many four inch speakers fit nicely in the stock TJ pods but really those pods could use a little more air space, even four inch speakers are capable of putting out some decent mid bass when properly enclosed.
Those aren't mine so no worries! I guess I'm just not following your train of thought though. You prefer the stock plastic enclosed 4" ones, but say that they could use more air space -- you would stay away from 5.25" ones with the same type of plastic enclosure(except designed for a 5.25") because it needs more air space?

Are you not in the same boat, but with a smaller speaker?

I just packed polyfil in my dash so I'm not exactly on either side of the fence.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.