TJ Sound System for $300 or Less - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ Sound System for $300 or Less

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 06-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Sound System for $300 or Less

I've got a $300 gift card to burn at Best Buy. I want to add speakers and maybe an amp to my TJ without spending any $$$ out of pocket. Sound quality is still a factor.

I already have an old Pioneer DEH-6900UB in the deck, so that's covered. I'm not buying another head unit...this is just about speaker/amp setup I can get for $300 at Best Buy...they have to be in store or online. Not interested in a woofer.

Here are my deck's specs:

RMS Power Output - 22 watts
Peak Output - 50 watts
RMS Power Bandwidth - 50-15kHz

I've been looking at Alpine's SPS-510's for the front (requires a bracket?) and SPS-610's for the soundbar...so that at least gets me going. I haven't built a system in years and am pretty clueless on specs.

SPS-510: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...specifications
SPS-610: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...specifications

That speaker combo already puts me at $190.

So what do you guys think?

Unread 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You'll need to get the dash bracket, check with nalinmfg.com he's a member here and has them on eBay too.

Alpine makes a good speaker, those would be a good choice but they run the Polk line buy one get one half off all the time.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
You'll need to get the dash bracket, check with nalinmfg.com he's a member here and has them on eBay too.

Alpine makes a good speaker, those would be a good choice but they run the Polk line buy one get one half off all the time.
This Polk 6.5 speaker seems to be better spec'd than the SPS-610 Alpines...better RMS wattage, better freq response, and better sensitivity.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....c=abcat0300000

Same with the 5.25" version...Polk vs. SPS-510 Alpine, the Polk appears to have better specs. I'm not a sound engineer, am I missing something here?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....c=abcat0300000
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You should listen to the speakers everyone likes something different.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
You should listen to the speakers everyone likes something different.
Good advice but it will sound different in your vehicle. I have about $60.00 in my jeeps mids and highs right now. It sounds pretty good but my deck and amp has a ton of tuning options and I have a pretty good idea how to use them. I would guess your not an audiophile? I think you should be able to do allright at Best Buy on 3 bills. Make sure you go to your local store and check the dump table. Might be able pick up some nice returns for cheap. I picked up some garbage Rockfords components for cheap a few years ago from Best Buy. I replaced them with some cheap MTX 2 ways after the tweeters and crossovers went "splody" about a week after I bought them but hey... They where a great deal for some supposedly kick *** speakers.
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
Good advice but it will sound different in your vehicle. I have about $60.00 in my jeeps mids and highs right now. It sounds pretty good but my deck and amp has a ton of tuning options and I have a pretty good idea how to use them. I would guess your not an audiophile? I think you should be able to do allright at Best Buy on 3 bills. Make sure you go to your local store and check the dump table. Might be able pick up some nice returns for cheap. I picked up some garbage Rockfords components for cheap a few years ago from Best Buy. I replaced them with some cheap MTX 2 ways after the tweeters and crossovers went "splody" about a week after I bought them but hey... They where a great deal for some supposedly kick *** speakers.
It isn't that I'm not an audiophile, but I understand and accept the inherent limitations of the TJ for sonic quality, so I'll polish the turd to a certain point and call it good.

I really like what I'm seeing for those Polks. Any reason those 6.5" speakers wouldn't fit the soundbar? They're 2-5/16" deep.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk-Aud...=1218205765007
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk-Aud...=1218207314797

Anyone have thoughts on an amp? I understand there's a small 4-channel power pack that can be mounted behind the stereo deck?
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
MLH34

my vote goes to the polkaudio also. I have the 6.5 inmy soundbar and like them. They are also marine certified so they function well in a trail jeep. If you look for deals they go on sale all thetime at best buy,a few weeks ago youcould get the 6.5 for 39.99 you can run 5.25 in the front without a plate by getting creative with mounting, many use 2 screws and zipties goodluck
MLH34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is the power pack amp I referenced...anyone have thoughts for this unit driving the Alpines or Polks I linked?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=4769803

Height - 1-1/2"
Width - 2-5/8"
Depth - 1-1/2"
Weight - 3.3 pounds

Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) RMS - 45 x 4
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) RMS - 45 x 4
Continuous Watts Bridged - 90
Peak Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) - 45 x 4
Peak Power Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) - 45 x 4
Max Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms Bridged) - 90
Number of Channels - 4
1 Ohm Stable No
Amplifier Class and Type - Class D
Tri-Mode No
High-Pass Filter Yes
Low-Pass Filter No
Line-Level Input Yes
Speaker-Level Input Yes
Passthrough - No
Signal-to-Noise Ratio - 80dB
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not to bash ya man but $60 isn't all that much for mids/highs, I thnk an xplod comp set cost more than that now. I'm running CDT comps backed by 100 atts rms on each side and that's just to get warmed up. For the average listener as the OP seems to be, a decent set of aftermarket speakers, backed by clean power and a reliable source signal is going to sound light years beyond the worn oem set-up. *2 cents*

The power pack is a great little amp, easy to stash in the dash. Some people have complained it doesn't seem to give rated power but all Alpine Amps are compliant (tested to do rated power). The PP will only give the polks you linked half power so you may want to go with the Alpines.

I would probably steer clear of the return table at bestbuy, most of it is returns from the install bay and some things can be seriously wrong with amps and speakers from there.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Yeah. I didn't even think about it when I posted but I bought my rear fill speakers about 6 years ago on sale. My whole stereo other than my amp for the highs was less than $800.00 for everything but I was able to get some stuff at cost and other stuff on a pretty deep discount. I also bought almost all of it at least 6 years ago. Either way you should be able to get some good sound for $300.00. Good audio does not have to cost a lot.

Sammich, those polks look good to me too. For an amp do you want the adjustabilty of a 4 channel amp (fade front to rear) or just a 2 channel amp?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
9859limited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
This is the power pack amp I referenced...anyone have thoughts for this unit driving the Alpines or Polks I linked?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=4769803

Height - 1-1/2"
Width - 2-5/8"
Depth - 1-1/2"
Weight - 3.3 pounds

Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) RMS - 45 x 4
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) RMS - 45 x 4
Continuous Watts Bridged - 90
Peak Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) - 45 x 4
Peak Power Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) - 45 x 4
Max Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms Bridged) - 90
Number of Channels - 4
1 Ohm Stable No
Amplifier Class and Type - Class D
Tri-Mode No
High-Pass Filter Yes
Low-Pass Filter No
Line-Level Input Yes
Speaker-Level Input Yes
Passthrough - No
Signal-to-Noise Ratio - 80dB
I'm powering two pairs of Kenwood kfc-709ps component speakers with it and it works awesome.
9859limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah. I didn't even think about it when I posted but I bought my rear fill speakers about 6 years ago on sale. My whole stereo other than my amp for the highs was less than $800.00 for everything but I was able to get some stuff at cost and other stuff on a pretty deep discount. I also bought almost all of it at least 6 years ago. Either way you should be able to get some good sound for $300.00. Good audio does not have to cost a lot.

Sammich, those polks look good to me too. For an amp do you want the adjustabilty of a 4 channel amp (fade front to rear) or just a 2 channel amp?
I don't think I'm worried about that (lol). I really just want to be able to push the right levels to the speakers that they need to function appropriately. I had a inexpensive 4-channel amp under the back seat of my 98 TJ and never touched the settings again once I placed them where I felt was right.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not to bash ya man but $60 isn't all that much for mids/highs, I thnk an xplod comp set cost more than that now. I'm running CDT comps backed by 100 atts rms on each side and that's just to get warmed up. For the average listener as the OP seems to be, a decent set of aftermarket speakers, backed by clean power and a reliable source signal is going to sound light years beyond the worn oem set-up. *2 cents*
I was never really a fan of the CDTs I ran, to me they never sounded right. These were what I ran http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4630-ef-...5-tweeter.aspx
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The CDTs need to have a lot of power behind them, they're greedy, and a proper tweeter location. I struggled with mine for the longest time until nalinmfg.com made his tweeter braket, it's the perfect location.
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
sammich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The power pack is a great little amp, easy to stash in the dash. Some people have complained it doesn't seem to give rated power but all Alpine Amps are compliant (tested to do rated power). The PP will only give the polks you linked half power so you may want to go with the Alpines.
Any recommendations on another small amp that would provide the Polks the right level of power?

I tend to take the back seat out from time to time, so I'm trying to find an amp that is stashable elsewhere in the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.