TJ Factory Sub Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ Factory Sub Replacement

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

TJ Factory Sub Replacement

Okay guys,

Let me start this thread by saying that I know there is "No" direct replacement for the factory sub. I have read multiple threads on this issue, and have appreciated all the guidence and info I have recieved.

With that being said, I felt I had to try this. I found a 6 1/2" Pryamid speaker on Partsexpress.com for $9.45 + shipping, which was about $9 more. I thought for under $20 buck I have to try it.

Here's a link and a pic.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-270

I did have to modify the factory box for clearance, but less than 1/2".

I tried different wiring combinations with each set of wires, and even tried both sets at the same time. I didn't see any noticable difference in performance with the different wiring combinations. I used the Gray + / Brown -. I drilled new holes and reused the factory screws, and then seal everything with silicone.

I would like to say that I had realistic expectaions for the sound. After all it's a $10 speaker. I think it sounds great. My sub was blown when I bought my TJ so I don't know what it sounded like not blown. I just unplugged it after about 2 days of horrible noise.

This little speaker puts out a nice respectable amount of bass. I'm very happy with this product. Now, lets see how long the amp will hold out with a 4ohm speaker.

GCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
george318i
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this thread. I just ordered the same woofer today. Hope it sounds ok still.
george318i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by george318i View Post
Thanks for this thread. I just ordered the same woofer today. Hope it sounds ok still.

A week later, so far so good . Please post back with your opinion after you install.
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an interesting one I found by Kicker, shallow mount 6.5" sub, still 4 ohm though:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...8C65VT4&tp=111

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
george318i
2001 TJ Wrangler 

crash - that sub is out of stock. also, it's over 100.00. i just want something cheap.

gc - i'll let you know. if my amp craps out, i've got an old jensen I can run it off of.
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
george318i
2001 TJ Wrangler 

GC - i'm impressed. sounds pretty damn good. i listen mostly to classic rock so it's not like i need a 15" sub.

thanks for the tip and the link.
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by george318i View Post
GC - i'm impressed. sounds pretty damn good. i listen mostly to classic rock so it's not like i need a 15" sub.

thanks for the tip and the link.
Like I said... Not to shabby for less than $20 bucks!!
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well after seeing that you guys had decent success out of that sub. i ordered a 8" myself. after seeing some pics from another JF member "Dippert" i am going to turn my stock 98 console into a subwoofer console.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/stock-amp-aftermarket-subwoofer-459476/ scroll down a little and you'll see the pics.

i had finally made my mind up to order the Tuffy sub console and one of the new Pioneer 8" shallow mount subs.......until i did my taxes and now i am going to have to pay this year!

I will do pretty the same thing as Dippert but i may use the spray sound deadner and do the inside and outside , also i will definetly use some polyfill. I am hoping w/ that and running a clean 200 watts to it, it may sound decent. if it sounds half way decent, i will uprade the sub to the Pioneer or a JL (after i get the taxes payed) and after i get some seat covers.

actually the Pioneer is a new shallow mount 8" to add to the line up of shallow mounts. according to Pioneer, it can work in a sealed box as small as .15 cu ft. the other shallow mounts from Pioneer get really good reviews.

i don't know how it will sound , but it only cost $12 so i figured what the hey! i do have a very good amp so..........we'll see.

05 WK Laredo
4.7, 4wd......exhaust and gps coming soon!
NCJEEPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
SirGCal

You're not going to have a problem with the amp at 4-ohms, but the problem is it's not putting out the power the sub needs. But if you keep it distortion free, you should be fine. The problems with the amps come when you underdraw them or run them at a lower impedance than designed. Since the stock amp is setup to run at 1-ohm, though very low power, the impedance shouldn't be an issue with a 4-ohm sub, just much less power effectively.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
You're not going to have a problem with the amp at 4-ohms, but the problem is it's not putting out the power the sub needs. But if you keep it distortion free, you should be fine. The problems with the amps come when you underdraw them or run them at a lower impedance than designed. Since the stock amp is setup to run at 1-ohm, though very low power, the impedance shouldn't be an issue with a 4-ohm sub, just much less power effectively.
That's good to know. I'm happy with this as a cheap solution for some decent mid bass sound. I know not to expect too much. After all, it's a $9 speaker and a 75w amp. Thanks for all the audio resources SirGCal .
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCJoe View Post
That's good to know. I'm happy with this as a cheap solution for some decent mid bass sound. I know not to expect too much. After all, it's a $9 speaker and a 75w amp. Thanks for all the audio resources SirGCal .
75W in the best of days. I've tested some that only put out 35W... But still, even if 75W is what yours did, running such a high impedance, it could be still only putting out 18-20W. But it sounds like that sub is working OK on such low power. Again, keep it from distorting (clipping) and you'll be fine.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
george318i
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't heard any clipping yet sirgcal. Maybe it's the type of music I listen to (classic rock) or the fact that I don't turn it up too loud (18 month old daughter) but I am more than satisfied so far.
Unread 02-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
75W in the best of days. I've tested some that only put out 35W... But still, even if 75W is what yours did, running such a high impedance, it could be still only putting out 18-20W. But it sounds like that sub is working OK on such low power. Again, keep it from distorting (clipping) and you'll be fine.

Poor choice of words on the "75w" amp. I don't know what mine is pushing. I guess I should have said "POS Factory Amp". I'm like george318i, I have small kids, so I don't turn the music up too loud, & I mostly listen to rock & country.
Unread 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i got my power house of a sub today (the $12 pyramid). i took out the console and cut out for the sub, then i pulled out the liner and lined it with Dynamat. i also used some cardboard to use as a template for a piece of particle board to fill in the top. tomorrow night i will cut out the top plate and put it in and seal it up as best i can. then hopefully get everything back together.

i plan to use this sub as a test and see if its any where near decent. i mean the entire setup not just the sub. if it sounds any good , i will upgrade to the Pioneer shallow mount this summer. if it sounds like crap, i will be back to ordering the Tuffy sub console later this summer.

05 WK Laredo
4.7, 4wd......exhaust and gps coming soon!
NCJEEPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #15
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJEEPFAN View Post
well i got my power house of a sub today (the $12 pyramid). i took out the console and cut out for the sub, then i pulled out the liner and lined it with Dynamat. i also used some cardboard to use as a template for a piece of particle board to fill in the top. tomorrow night i will cut out the top plate and put it in and seal it up as best i can. then hopefully get everything back together.

i plan to use this sub as a test and see if its any where near decent. i mean the entire setup not just the sub. if it sounds any good , i will upgrade to the Pioneer shallow mount this summer. if it sounds like crap, i will be back to ordering the Tuffy sub console later this summer.
Post Pics....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.