TJ center console Subwoofer question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ center console Subwoofer question

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-31-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ center console Subwoofer question

I have seen in a few mags center console replacements that have a subwoofer built in.

Anybody using one of these & how do you like it?...

How does it sound to you compared to other Jeep subwoofer options you have heard?

Was a THE "FACTORY" center console subwoofer EVER standard in TJ's, or was it always offered as an option?

examples

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14129_104_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14010_30.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14129_001_07.htm

thanks!

+GRAVES+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the others but the factory sub was never standard. It was always an option.
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
sycotik
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just ordered the Tuffy center console. I am gonna put an aftermarket 8in sub in there so I will report back when I get it done. Of course that wont be for another month. Stuck in Afghanistan

2005 Jeep Unlimited Silver 6-speed, ARB Bull Bar w/Warn Winch, PSC Ricochet Rockers, 3in BDS Lift, 33x10.50 BFG MT
sycotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefire702
I don't know about the others but the factory sub was never standard. It was always an option.
thanks for the info.... do you have a factory sub in your Jeep? and if so, how do you like it?
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
jknolan4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have it and it is really weird having it there. Not only does it not sound very good (not horrible either, but not great.....) but it gives your right leg a buzzing feeling having it right next to it when the bass hits.

I thought about getting something like the aftermarket ones available for the rear from quadratec too....but at the end of the day, I didn't want to give up the room in the back that I use for storing stuff just to have a sub that I might have trouble hearing in the first place if it is placed that far back. Don't know if that's true, but I don't regret having it set up the way I have it now.

Also, I wasn't sure how it would work with my aftermarket radio and speakers, but it was installed seamlessly and seems to not have any problems.

-John
jknolan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have one in mine. I couldn't imagine the system without, but with that said it still sucks!!!

I added one of these:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312101

Huge improvement for the size. Way better than stock, but not a pounder by any means. Do some searching online and you can get it new for $115 to $150. I got it here for $109, but it took a while to get it.
http://www.electronicgiant.com/catal...oducts_id=9001

Tyler
35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33'sUnlimited
I have one in mine. I couldn't imagine the system without, but with that said it still sucks!!!

I added one of these:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312101

Huge improvement for the size. Way better than stock, but not a pounder by any means. Do some searching online and you can get it new for $115 to $150. I got it here for $109, but it took a while to get it.
http://www.electronicgiant.com/catal...oducts_id=9001

Tyler
that looks pretty slick. I leave my seat in, but regularly fold it up to use the back. with this i could move the speaker if needed.

You guys with the console subs- you have a power amp bolted in somewhere too, right?

thx
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVESTONE
that looks pretty slick. I leave my seat in, but regularly fold it up to use the back. with this i could move the speaker if needed.

You guys with the console subs- you have a power amp bolted in somewhere too, right?

thx
I just have the factory one. I kinda like the fact that it is right by your leg. That way on the highway with no top or doors, you still kinda feel a little bass cause you cant hear it. Some guys on the ROF have swapped 8" subs into the factory sub enclosure for some improvement. It did involve cutting and modifying the stock enclosure. The factory sub amp in under the console.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have seen in a few mags center console replacements that have a subwoofer built in.

Anybody using one of these & how do you like it?...

How does it sound to you compared to other Jeep subwoofer options you have heard?

Was a THE "FACTORY" center console subwoofer EVER standard in TJ's, or was it always offered as an option?

examples

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14129_104_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14010_30.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14129_001_07.htm

thanks!
Got the Tuffy rear console half for under $200 shipped to my door. Great security product. I am trying to find out where I got it for you. PM me to remind me later and I will find out for sure. Quadratec is a great place to look for new ideas for stuff you want but you can almost always find it cheaper from vendors on this forum or one of the recommended sites.
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
I just have the factory one. I kinda like the fact that it is right by your leg. That way on the highway with no top or doors, you still kinda feel a little bass cause you cant hear it. Some guys on the ROF have swapped 8" subs into the factory sub enclosure for some improvement. It did involve cutting and modifying the stock enclosure. The factory sub amp in under the console.
Thanks

So you guys that are adding the aftermarket subs are also adding an amp, which "should" fit under the conole?
Unread 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks

So you guys that are adding the aftermarket subs are also adding an amp, which "should" fit under the conole?
I just went and poked around on the ROF. The stock amp is 2ohm, most car stereo stuff is 4 ohm. Most seem to hunt down a 2 ohm sub (such as the JL 8W3V2 2 ohm sub) and use the facotry amp. If you use a 4 ohm sub on a 2 ohm amp you will loose 1/2 the power.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
I just went and poked around on the ROF. The stock amp is 2ohm, most car stereo stuff is 4 ohm. Most seem to hunt down a 2 ohm sub (such as the JL 8W3V2 2 ohm sub) and use the facotry amp. If you use a 4 ohm sub on a 2 ohm amp you will loose 1/2 the power.
Awesome! This needs to be put into the FAQ.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #13
Signalsoldier

Great thread thanks for sharing....I have been looking for a viable solution to my music problem..

SS
Signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also any 4 ohm sub with dual voice coils can be wired to 2ohm. I'm ordering the tuffy stereo thing. Hopefully i can fit an 8" sub in it and run it off the factory amp.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

jgorm, Check this thread out. I'm sure SirGCal will reply in no time, and all of our questions will be answered.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/stock-amp-aftermarket-subwoofer-459476/
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.