TJ CD Player Replacement Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ CD Player Replacement Suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Cartman98
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ CD Player Replacement Suggestions

The awesome CD player in my '04 TJ went out and I am looking for suggestions for a replacement. I would like to spend around $200 and would like the ability to run a axillary in to play Pandora off my Android. I have read several reviews of Alpine and others, but most don't mention how well they stand up to water. Things don't get wet often but I do have a problem with water leaks in the doors and end up with puddles on the floor when it pours. The other problem with many threads is that they are years old and you can't purchase the models being reviewed. Thanks for your help!

Cartman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman98 View Post
The awesome CD player in my '04 TJ went out and I am looking for suggestions for a replacement. I would like to spend around $200 and would like the ability to run a axillary in to play Pandora off my Android. I have read several reviews of Alpine and others, but most don't mention how well they stand up to water. Things don't get wet often but I do have a problem with water leaks in the doors and end up with puddles on the floor when it pours. The other problem with many threads is that they are years old and you can't purchase the models being reviewed. Thanks for your help!
I have a Pioneer DEHP-9400 in my '04. It is also Satellite ready, and easy to wire up if you want that route. It has two rear USB inputs, so you can run an 10 foot extension to anywhere that you want to have a USB input. I run my iPhone off of it, and you can stream Pandora, and the unit will actually control it. All you do is hook it up, switch your source on the unit to Pandora, start the app, and you can control your stations and song skips right on the Pioneer.

As far as waterproofing, you could re-run the wiring to the sound pods underneath the roll bar padding. I can't remember if those are ran under the carpet or already under the padding, but either way getting them off of the floor if they are there would be pretty easy.

Also, Kenwood, Sony, and a few others make Marine rated CD players.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same puddles on my floor, but I don't worry about it with my stereo. I run a pioneer as well, the AVX-7500BT, and it has a 7inch screen.

If you're worried about water, as Bhamshooter said, marine grade would be your best bet.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've used pioneer and alpine in light mist situations without issues. I just put my top up for the first time since May, I just run a bikini even in rain. I always carry some sham wow type towels in the map pocket if I think there's going to be a splash.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quadratec has Sony Plug N Play kits with dash adapter, custom interface harness, and a selection of Sony radios with various features. Makes it really easy to swap from factory.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
absentiabanish

Check out bluetooth models from several companies. I have JVC model that will connect to Android phone via bluetooth and will launch Pandora and allow you to thumbs up and down from radio. I think it was like $150.
absentiabanish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Cartman98
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your replies! I got a Kenwood which have come down in price a whole lot since I last was into car audio! So I swapped everything and soldered connections, did the install and now every warning on the dash is displayed and says "NO BUS". Anyone figure out what that problem is caused by?
Oh, by the way, the radio works great now! lol
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Cartman98
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I now know the reason the "NO BUS" indicator comes on and all the gauges and warning lights freak out. When wiring up the new harness, DO NOT connect the mute (brown wire) if your radio has it. It is apparently not supported on TJs, and lights the dash up like a Christmas tree. This only took me about two hours of reading threads on this and other forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.