TJ brights not working? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ brights not working?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
mjw22
1999 WJ 

TJ brights not working?

I have a 97 Sahara and the brights haven't worked since I bought it and they didn't work for the previous owner either. Turn signals, headlights, reverse lights and driving lights all work, but no brights. It's not so bad except for when I forget and I go to turn the brights on and everything else turns off and then the road disappears haha

Apart from the obvious with the bulbs being spent, what else should I check?

♦ Lady Jeeper ♦
1999 4.7L WJ Limited || 1997 4.0L TJ Sahara || 1998 2.5L TJ SE || 1994 5.2L ZJ || 1989 2.5L YJ
mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Itsjustme2see

It's more likely the multifunction switch is at fault.Fuse #12 is the circuit that runs the headlamps.
Itsjustme2see is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In the '97 service manual, Fuse #10 (30A) in the underhood fuse box (Power Distribution Center) powers the headlamps but if your low beams work then that is not your problem. The RED/ORANGE wire out of the multi-function switch (turn signal switch assembly) feeds the headlamp high beams. The multi-function switch in many cases is the cause of the problem. Check all the "cheap" stuff (fuse, wires, bulb, connectors, connections, etc.) first before buying a new switch.
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
mjw22
1999 WJ 

Thanks fellas, I'll check on that tonight!
♦ Lady Jeeper ♦
1999 4.7L WJ Limited || 1997 4.0L TJ Sahara || 1998 2.5L TJ SE || 1994 5.2L ZJ || 1989 2.5L YJ
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the switch, they do go bad. My '97 TJ is on its second turn-signal switch that also controls the high-beams.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Moose4052
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interested to see the results. i have followed the schematic back to the multifunction switch as well. though just need a reassurance this is the issue.
Moose4052 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
mjw22
1999 WJ 

Found out it was a rotted wire on the back of the driver's side headlight. I'm amazed the lights were working at all! Dug out the rotted wire and reconnected the freshly stripped wire and they worked!
♦ Lady Jeeper ♦

Last edited by mjw22; 07-02-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.