TJ Audio Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > TJ Audio Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
nitwit527

TJ Audio Build

Just finished my system in my 2002 TJ. Check it out! question or comments
Too lazy to write a in depth write up. Just general summary. I have no professional knowledge of audio installation, i used the jf and the web to self educate myself. This is my first build hope you enjoy

My Setup:

2002 Jeep Wrangler Solar Yellow

Speakers:

Kenwood eXcelon XR-S17P – 6 ¾ Oversized Components

Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X1300 - 5 ¼ Speakers
Diamond Audio D310D4 – 10 Inch Dual Voice coil Subs

Amps:

Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X4R – “1200watt Max” 4 Channel amp
Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X1R – “2400watt Max” Mono Block

Power/Wiring:

Kicker PKD1 – 0/1 Gauge Amp Wiring Kit
Optima Yellow Top Battery

Head Unit:

Kenwood DNX7120 – Double Din 6.95 Navigation System with Bluetooth and iPod Adapter

Build:

1. Subs

Saw sirgcal's inseat stealth sub box,and i practically "j*zzed... in my pants!" Downloaded his plans from his helpful website. Began the build, realized my subs were really big, change the plans around, hacked at the seat, turned out amazing.

2. Speakers

My gf bought me a 6 speaker sound bar for xmas last year, after blowing those speakers I changed the 6 speakers out for the component kenwoods, then changed the fronts as well.

3. Head Unit

After a day or two of measuring, i decided to go ahead and try and fit the double din nav of my dreams into my truck. After hacking at my dash carefully and customizing the bezel a little it fit! Installed bluetooth adapter by fuse box, ipod in the glove box, and ran the gps receiver under the roll bar padding.

4. Amps and Amp Rack

After having one of my original amps get shorted by some rain i decided to completely redesign my original half a$$ed amp rack. Before i say anything may I add i hate fiber glass. I was adventurous and fabbed up a amp rack using mdf, then covered it with fiber glass, after a can of body filler and a few days of filling and sanding it was ready for paint. Using some sweet spray paint (factory matched solar yellow) painted it to match my truck. Covered with 3/4 inch think plexiglass and finished it off with some molding pieces. Wired up my speakers and sub.

the end.....sounds AMAZING!

will have pics up in a minute

Last edited by nitwit527; 02-01-2009 at 07:58 PM..
nitwit527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
nitwit527

Nav

Subs

Unread 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
nitwit527

My jeep

Battery

Speakers

Amps/Amp Rack

Unread 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks awesome man, I PMd you
2003X is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice setup, how do you like those d3's?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Those dash speakers must sound really bad. You need to isolate the front of the speaker from the back as much as possible. At the very leasy dynomat all around the front of them. Next get a foam enclosure that goes behind them. Should wake them right up. Otherwise looks great,
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Sh4dowRac3r
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nice writeup, sweet system
wait a minute... thats my driveway!

2001 Flame Red Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5Spd
Red Jeep Club Member 531
Sh4dowRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
nitwit527

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Nice setup, how do you like those d3's?

lI LOVE THEM!! They hit very nice, i have a remote for the bass amp so i can adjust the bass on the fly, from nice and subtle to massaging chair.

as far as the front speaker sounding like crap, imo including anyone that has ever been in my truck, they sound amazing. Im planning on putting the same components i have in the sound bar in front and putting the tweeter up by the ac vent on top of the dash (similar to JKs) but that's not a necessity right now
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

how well do the d3s clear excursion wise? looks pretty close and if i remember correctly they go out pretty far. maybe its just the angle but that would be the only thing i would be concerned with. looks pretty nice though!!!! gotta love diamond. real nice stuff
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
SirGCal

Nice setup. Great craftsmanship. I'm glad the plans came in helpful for you! WOW on the amp rack. I miss working on projects like that. Nice use of bracing in the box too. I'll bet those Diamonds didn't lose too much SQ even in a tight box, those subs are pretty respectable and I've done a few smaller than ideal boxes with them myself.

All I will add, is that you might want to consider a little extra bracing for the side braces for the seat. With that much weight on them, it will bend them out over time. I've welded in some bracing perpendicular to them on the outside using some 1/8" steel we had laying around and it solved that problem. Sort-of like a truss or gusset. Guess it might be easier to draw up a diagram if you can't follow my poor explanation. Basically thought it gives lateral support to the bracket.

And I'm not a Kenwood fan at all, but kudos on the very clean install. I'd be proud to ride around in that.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a nice setup. Love the amp rack you made. Where did you choose to run the power wire through the firewall?
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hope my amp rack comes out that good...looks sweet...btw if you have the "brain" for that stereo behind the glove box you may want to consider switching to a tuffy to protect it and stored the ipod.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
RUNIT
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Love to see the double-din in the TJ! What total internal enclosure volume did you end up with?
RUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
GCool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking good!
Thanks to the new sponsor Sundown Audio!
GCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
nitwit527

to answer above questions....

excursion wise, they don't bottom out or hit my floor even on the heaviest songs, before I installed the box in the seat i did a little trail and error with box angles untill they didn't hit.

0/1 gauge power wire is ran from battery through the existing grommet on driver side. It was the easiest to get to, plus didn't have to drill ...ill post pictures if you need them.

As far as the tuffy console or box for the dash im not worried. Yes I live in jersey, my town is 10 min from Newark. So it was thief was an issue, but if they really want it, they'll rip the whole truck apart. I have a viper alarm with door,truck,hood and motion sensors and ignition kill. and for an additional 120$ a year my insurance will cover my installed audio equipment all 1700$ of it =) only thing that would suck if they stole everything is that i would have to refab everything, but hey im running out of jeep projects anyways. side note. The kenwood 7120 is all internal, the gps is built in, there is no seperate "brain" or anything like that, just for the bluetooth add on.

i dont remember exactly but i think i ended up with around .5 or .6 cubic feet, stuffed with poly fill. they dont sound like they need anymore room, but never had them in a bigger box.

thanks all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.