Is there a way to DISABLE the factory DVD (in Park) restriction? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Is there a way to DISABLE the factory DVD (in Park) restriction?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is there a way to DISABLE the factory DVD (in Park) restriction?

I have a '14 Rubicon on order and have been doing some research on the 430 Nav radio I ordered it with. I have seen it will only play DVD's when in PARK (not sure how it is wired with a 6spd manual as I will have).

I want my passengers to be able to watch movies on road trips, how do I make this work while driving

Unread 08-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

After remembering how most aftermarket units are designed, I bet it is looking for the parking break application, not transmission selection.

Someone must have re-wired or tricked the DVD player somehow...

EDIT- GOOGLE search was more helpful....
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups...ing-fix-60388/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...iving-1300733/
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/byp...ve-157165.html
http://www.**********.org/f50/making...ing-17712.html
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

I've seen them wired to the parking brake, so when it's engaged a wire grounds out so the DVD player works, it's just a matter of grounding out that wire to trick the player
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

We always just cut the wire that was supposed to go to the parking brake an wired in a toggle switch an grounded it to something, the toggle switch being in case you get pulled over you can flip it an it won't work, "supposedly" you can get a ticket or it's illegal or something to watch a DVD while driving from the front cd/DVD player, how true that is I don't full know we just wired it that way just in case they wanted to check or whatnot
96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, after further research, these newer cars are way smarter than that. Supposedly they share data on the CAN bus (kind of an internal Internet of shared info for the car).

Lockpick is the electronic interface that makes it work, along with a whole bunch more options that should work from the factory... Nav input, iPhone album art, iPhone video, etc...

But it's pricey and currently on back order. $350!
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Indy

For $200 get a new dvd player,ground the wire and life is good.
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
StaticFX

its like $290.. but its called Lockpick. Removes all speed control disabled functions

http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I know Iím not going to be very popular with you guys but enabling movies to play in the front is just plain dangerous for all involved. The potential for the driver to look over at it while driving is a real threat. You could end up with serious injuries or even fatalities from a head-on or rear ending a vehicle.

Install some headrest units instead. As far as the passenger goes, well they would be out of luck. Another option for everyone would be to get a few of those hand held cd players, probably a lot cheaper too.

Ok you can start throwing rocks now; Iíve got my helmet on.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.