Are there any people on here that are ACTUALLY into systems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Are there any people on here that are ACTUALLY into systems?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Are there any people on here that are ACTUALLY into systems?

It seems that every link I click on everybody is a novice when the speak of car audio. I'd like to actually see nice/quality equipment that some of you have installed in your rigs. And another thing, where's the BASS? Nobody seems to have a sub over 400w rms on here.

BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Used to be hardcore into car audio, with a kenwood/orion system, 17years ago. Reality set in, lost a lot of my hearing in the process, and grew up. Except for SPL competitions and outdoor parties, there is no sense in subs over 400w honestly. Chicks don't think deaf guys are very cool, just an fyi. A good balanced system always sounds good, but if you need over 400w in bass, your system is poorly designed IMO. Now as for novice, I was never impressed with the car audio shops and their band of hacks. No clue about electrical theory, and to this day I'm constantly schooling the younger folks in how power and ground should be done. What you take from the battery, you must give back, so that 0 ga wire is of no use coming off the battery if you don't equally beef your ground strap from the battery as well.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

having 4 12s on 5000rms is not a system. a nice well rounded system has a even match of lows mids and highs. most consist of a nice set of components, amp, single sub and a nice head unit. there are a lot of people here that have nice systems in there jeeps. most would just rather put the money into making the there rig capable then hitting 150db in the lanes.

i have a sub running 150rms in my truck and it moves panels dont need no more.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
SirGCal

Yup, I built Competition SQ and SPL rigs for 20 years... But going insane on the power is really stupid accept for showing off and taking up all of your storage space in which a Jeep is so precious.

My Mustang when I was 16 had 4 12s, two 8's, and a dozen fill speakers in multiple configurations to get the SQ good until I realized too much was bad for SQ. Getting loud was easy (like child's play easy), and boring TBH. Doing high quality SQ was darned hard, doing it in a Jeep was even harder, but it is possible.

Insane overpowered systems just serve no purpose. Volume levels over 100dB (quite low actually, most stock systems can achieve this) can damage the hearing permanently. I've warn protection most of my life and am one of the 'lucky' ones but... Even when I had my Jeep, driving in it topless I wore ear plugs (my motorcycle protection plugs). So unless you have to flex your 'peen' for whatever reason; and honestly extreme SQ will earn you more credit anyhow that a window shaker ever could.

In a topless Jeep though, a good 4-8:1 ratio is nice to keep the balance smooth with the bass-loss while topless. Hence why 400-500W RMS is the sweet-spot for real-world rigs. And done properly, can hit hard enough to cause actual physical pain to the close listeners...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Mainsail
2005 WK 

I love a good sound system, but to me there’s nothing that screams ******bag louder than hearing that thumping and distortion while I’m waiting at a red light. It makes me wish it was legal to put a bullet through their stereo. There are far better ways to upgrade a jeep. JMHO.
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Wow, I sure didn't expect the sound quality bashers to come out. The past system I ran sounded excellent. And I only go up to about 1500w RMS. Anything really over that is too much bass. It's not about hitting the highest db with me. I just really enjoy the panel shaking lows. ^Mainsail. Yeah, I cannot stand that either. But those are the guys who have no intention in bettering their sound quality, they just want to be the loudest. They are the ****** bags that give people like me a bad image. I turn my music down when approaching stops, and when driving in neighborhoods.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
91Z28
2001 TJ Wrangler 

IMHO it's the wrong kind of vehicle for a great sound system, no room for a sub other than the center console(unless you want to install in the rear and say goodbye to the little cargo space you have) all the factory speakers are firing in stupid directions, there's no room to hide any amps, wiring, to make it look clean and still be functional as a jeep, if you want a good sound system buy another vehicle, or a 2nd vehicle, the best you might get "acoustically" in a jeep is what i would consider total ****.
91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
Wow, I sure didn't expect the sound quality bashers to come out. The past system I ran sounded excellent. And I only go up to about 1500w RMS. Anything really over that is too much bass. It's not about hitting the highest db with me. I just really enjoy the panel shaking lows. ^Mainsail. Yeah, I cannot stand that either. But those are the guys who have no intention in bettering their sound quality, they just want to be the loudest. They are the ****** bags that give people like me a bad image. I turn my music down when approaching stops, and when driving in neighborhoods.
See, and there is your error also... Assuming you 'need' power to get volume or clarity either one. You do need power for the speakers you plan to execute properly, but that's it. I've seen tiny little subs running on very low power execute insanely powerful (and low) sound levels... Hitting over 150dB and down to 18Hz with 200W... And if I remember right now, one of the world records is something like 175dB on some 10W of power out of a 6" sub... Obviously specifically build but... No SQ there.

Point is simply, you do not NEED 1500W RMS (nor the extra alternators/batteries/etc. that are required for such an extreme install) to get insanely powerful and/or clean sound crossed the board. That's really 80's style thinking... My old rig would hit 135dB no problem with zero footprint on the vehicle. And do it with SQ winning competition sound. Now that's something cool. No huge box taking up the trunk, etc. The replacement subs for it would have hit the 140's with even better clarity. Simply put, it's easy to get VERY painful sound levels, with extreme clarity, without going to stupid high power levels. So why would you really want to?! That's the whole point.

I don't care if your system is 'capable' of 1 MILLION WATTS of power sustained... If you're listening to it at safe levels in a car, you're not using it. Period. So what's the point?

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
IMHO it's the wrong kind of vehicle for a great sound system, no room for a sub other than the center console(unless you want to install in the rear and say goodbye to the little cargo space you have) all the factory speakers are firing in stupid directions, there's no room to hide any amps, wiring, to make it look clean and still be functional as a jeep, if you want a good sound system buy another vehicle, or a 2nd vehicle, the best you might get "acoustically" in a jeep is what i would consider total ****.
Actually that's not true itself. Thought I proved that back in 2002 with the SQ comp 2k TJ using zero internal footprint (and no center-console either)...

Quote:
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
See, and there is your error also... Assuming you 'need' power to get volume or clarity either one. You do need power for the speakers you plan to execute properly, but that's it. I've seen tiny little subs running on very low power execute insanely powerful (and low) sound levels... Hitting over 150dB and down to 18Hz with 200W... And if I remember right now, one of the world records is something like 175dB on some 10W of power out of a 6" sub... Obviously specifically build but... No SQ there.

Point is simply, you do not NEED 1500W RMS (nor the extra alternators/batteries/etc. that are required for such an extreme install) to get insanely powerful and/or clean sound crossed the board. That's really 80's style thinking... My old rig would hit 135dB no problem with zero footprint on the vehicle. And do it with SQ winning competition sound. Now that's something cool. No huge box taking up the trunk, etc. The replacement subs for it would have hit the 140's with even better clarity. Simply put, it's easy to get VERY painful sound levels, with extreme clarity, without going to stupid high power levels. So why would you really want to?! That's the whole point.

I don't care if your system is 'capable' of 1 MILLION WATTS of power sustained... If you're listening to it at safe levels in a car, you're not using it. Period. So what's the point?
I would like to know what system you had, sounds brilliant. Care to share?
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
SirGCal

Quote:
I would like to know what system you had, sounds brilliant. Care to share?
It's very public knowledge.. the SirGCal in-seat setup... For TJs it was one of the to-do things cause I gave away the plans to do it instead of charging for it. The pic of the win in the finals is one of the last ones of me still walking also.. Long ago... Before MS really took over and put me in the wheelchair for good. I actually beat out two local stores also, pissed em off. One of them was the one who paid for the gear in my rig at one point (they never competed directly with me at that time), though it wasn't an expensive build by any measure. I was still fat in that picture too... go figure...

Projects are on my website in my sig. I actually sold the Jeep to a kid who's going to give it a good home. I can't give it the 'beating' it so deserves anymore'... It was dieing sitting in my driveway going < 100 miles a year for the last 5 years. The particular audio project is here: http://www.sirgcal.com/2ktj/

Quote:
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are some Wranglers with built systems on cardomain.com a few nice fiberglass setups and there was a slick acrylic/plexi one there last I knew.
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I must be looking at the wrong thread, I never saw a post about bashing sound quality. Now the first thing is, 1500w rms, by who's math? That is still way past reasoning, unless your system is poorly designed and inefficient. Remember, anyone with cash in hand can buy a pile of equipment and make a lot of noise. An artist uses a minimal amount of power to achieve plenty of volume, thru efficiency. All you have to do is look at Bose. If you learn science, and physics, you can achieve what rookies claim can not be done.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.