teraflex tail light antenna mount - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
xltj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 759
teraflex tail light antenna mount

there is an optional hole on this mount. has anyone had any issues not using this hole? just curious how sturdy it will be with a 3' or 4' antenna installed.

xltj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
FTW Rubi
Registered User
 
FTW Rubi's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ft Worth
Posts: 97
use the hole, there is a difference. However my sag me be from one of the sons using it for a hand hold or step.
FTW Rubi is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
xltj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTW Rubi View Post
use the hole, there is a difference. However my sag me be from one of the sons using it for a hand hold or step.
Thanks. I did notice the mount can move quite a bit without that optional hole. I'll probably return it since I'm not big into drilling into the painted body of the jeep. I've got some extra angle aluminum and will mount it to the tailgate using the existing holes where the tire carrier used to be
xltj is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
xxxflhrci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,648
I did not use the hole. However, my antenna is only a 3 ft Fire Fly. It shouldn't put too much stress on the mount.
xxxflhrci is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
rastadog
Member
 
rastadog's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 293
Tj

I just installed my mount Monday. In my opinion, not drilling and using the hardware is the wrong decision for 2 reasons:
  1. The mount is to actually ground your antenna to the body of the jeep.
  2. The bolts, that have no nuts, that hold the tail light to the body aren't going to survive even a moderate pull on the antenna.

My instructions actually say to sand the inside of the hole so the bolt is actually touching bare metal to properly ground the antenna. I used my dremel and then after I secured the antenna I wiped it with alcohol and smeared a good glob of silicone for rust protection. It also helps if you have long arms to reach up there.

happy wrenching!

2001 Anniversary Edition Wrangler
2.5" OME HD Lift on ProComp M/T 32"s. Aussie Locker in front. Skid Row armor & fresh radiator fluid.
XM Satellite Radio - SKYFi2 and some cosmetic mods.
rastadog is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Scrambler82
Registered User
 
Scrambler82's Avatar
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I've got some extra angle aluminum and will mount it to the tailgate using the existing holes where the tire carrier used to be
Make sure to mount the Angle centered on the rear of the vehicle.

No matter what Mount you use (I like the Alum. Angle idea) you will need an additional ground strap to guarantee the ground connection.
The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.
The Antenna/CB System will not work as well without a good ground.

Take a braided strap approximately 1/2" wide with Ring Lugs on each end and run a connection for the Aluminum Angle to the Frame. securing it along the way.
Use S/S External Tooth Star Lock Washers between the Ring Lugs and the metal mounting point and between the Ring Lugs and the head of the bolts.
You can use some Conductive Paste on it too, won't hurt.

The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
xxxflhrci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastadog View Post
I just installed my mount Monday. In my opinion, not drilling and using the hardware is the wrong decision for 2 reasons:
  1. The mount is to actually ground your antenna to the body of the jeep.
  2. The bolts, that have no nuts, that hold the tail light to the body aren't going to survive even a moderate pull on the antenna.

I took care of both issues, by drillng a hole thru the middle of my mount and tub and putting in a rivet in it, before I bolted the tail light back on. Doing that gave me a good ground and strengthened the mounting points, but didn't leave me with any extra holes in the Jeep that can be seen if I decide to take the antenna off later.
xxxflhrci is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
xltj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
Make sure to mount the Angle centered on the rear of the vehicle.

No matter what Mount you use (I like the Alum. Angle idea) you will need an additional ground strap to guarantee the ground connection.
The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.
The Antenna/CB System will not work as well without a good ground.

Take a braided strap approximately 1/2" wide with Ring Lugs on each end and run a connection for the Aluminum Angle to the Frame. securing it along the way.
Use S/S External Tooth Star Lock Washers between the Ring Lugs and the metal mounting point and between the Ring Lugs and the head of the bolts.
You can use some Conductive Paste on it too, won't hurt.

The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.
I'm not familiar with a 1/2" wide braided strap? Could you provide a link for me?

Some of the antennas come with a grounding wire, so I was thinking to just add a wire attached to the antenna where it mounts, and run it through the tailgate break light hole, and into the jeep, and find some place to mount that end. Wouldnt something like that work?
xltj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Teraflex mount - hole behind tail light xxxflhrci Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 1 12-03-2007 01:45 AM
Attn: Teraflex tail light cb mount owners el guapo Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 3 08-21-2007 01:46 PM
teraflex cb mount (tail light) Drilling question woodb Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 4 11-21-2006 06:16 PM
Who makes a wrangler tail light antenna mount Gary Gill Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 10 08-16-2005 06:10 AM
Q about CB antenna tail light mount.. Shinner Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 9 03-10-2004 11:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome