teraflex tail light antenna mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > teraflex tail light antenna mount

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

teraflex tail light antenna mount

there is an optional hole on this mount. has anyone had any issues not using this hole? just curious how sturdy it will be with a 3' or 4' antenna installed.

Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
xltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
FTW Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

use the hole, there is a difference. However my sag me be from one of the sons using it for a hand hold or step.
FTW Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTW Rubi View Post
use the hole, there is a difference. However my sag me be from one of the sons using it for a hand hold or step.
Thanks. I did notice the mount can move quite a bit without that optional hole. I'll probably return it since I'm not big into drilling into the painted body of the jeep. I've got some extra angle aluminum and will mount it to the tailgate using the existing holes where the tire carrier used to be
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
Unread 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

I did not use the hole. However, my antenna is only a 3 ft Fire Fly. It shouldn't put too much stress on the mount.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed my mount Monday. In my opinion, not drilling and using the hardware is the wrong decision for 2 reasons:
  1. The mount is to actually ground your antenna to the body of the jeep.
  2. The bolts, that have no nuts, that hold the tail light to the body aren't going to survive even a moderate pull on the antenna.

My instructions actually say to sand the inside of the hole so the bolt is actually touching bare metal to properly ground the antenna. I used my dremel and then after I secured the antenna I wiped it with alcohol and smeared a good glob of silicone for rust protection. It also helps if you have long arms to reach up there.

happy wrenching!
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I've got some extra angle aluminum and will mount it to the tailgate using the existing holes where the tire carrier used to be
Make sure to mount the Angle centered on the rear of the vehicle.

No matter what Mount you use (I like the Alum. Angle idea) you will need an additional ground strap to guarantee the ground connection.
The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.
The Antenna/CB System will not work as well without a good ground.

Take a braided strap approximately 1/2" wide with Ring Lugs on each end and run a connection for the Aluminum Angle to the Frame. securing it along the way.
Use S/S External Tooth Star Lock Washers between the Ring Lugs and the metal mounting point and between the Ring Lugs and the head of the bolts.
You can use some Conductive Paste on it too, won't hurt.

The Tailgate is not a good grounding point so the extra strap will endure a good ground.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastadog View Post
I just installed my mount Monday. In my opinion, not drilling and using the hardware is the wrong decision for 2 reasons:
  1. The mount is to actually ground your antenna to the body of the jeep.
  2. The bolts, that have no nuts, that hold the tail light to the body aren't going to survive even a moderate pull on the antenna.

I took care of both issues, by drillng a hole thru the middle of my mount and tub and putting in a rivet in it, before I bolted the tail light back on. Doing that gave me a good ground and strengthened the mounting points, but didn't leave me with any extra holes in the Jeep that can be seen if I decide to take the antenna off later.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
Make sure to mount the Angle centered on the rear of the vehicle.

No matter what Mount you use (I like the Alum. Angle idea) you will need an additional ground strap to guarantee the ground connection.
The Antenna/CB System will not work as well without a good ground.

Take a braided strap approximately 1/2" wide with Ring Lugs on each end and run a connection for the Aluminum Angle to the Frame. securing it along the way.
Use S/S External Tooth Star Lock Washers between the Ring Lugs and the metal mounting point and between the Ring Lugs and the head of the bolts.
You can use some Conductive Paste on it too, won't hurt.

I'm not familiar with a 1/2" wide braided strap? Could you provide a link for me?

Some of the antennas come with a grounding wire, so I was thinking to just add a wire attached to the antenna where it mounts, and run it through the tailgate break light hole, and into the jeep, and find some place to mount that end. Wouldnt something like that work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.