Temperature sending unit?? Temp gauge CJ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
2010 JK Wrangler 
Temperature sending unit?? Temp gauge CJ?

I installed a new water pump, thermostat and fan clutch on my amc 360 in my 1982 scrambler.. started the jeep up and let it run for a while.. it seems like everything is working properly but the temp gauge is only moving a little bit. it is the standard gauge cluster form the cj that has the fuel and the temp along with the miles and spedo. The fuel gauge jut stopped moving as well. is that gauge cluster grounded somewhere?

I tested the wire for the temperature sending unit. I took a 12 volt test light grounded it on the negative terminal turned the key on and stuck it on the end of the temperature sending unit wire and the test light pulsed with power.. shouldn't that be lit up solid? what would cause the light to pulse?

any insight would be great. i am nervous to drive the jeep because i don't want o be driving around and have it over heat.

qUittErs nEVeR wIN...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
1977 CJ5 
over in the cj forum you might find better help than here for any cj related issues. John Strenk is the man when it comes to gauges and testing them. Here is his link for testing the gauge circuits http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...eQuickTest.htm
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
2010 JK Wrangler 
Thanks James, i asked the same question on CJ8.com and have gotten some insight. i believe i am just going to order new internal gauges and see if that fixes the problem. i got the fuel gauge working last night but the Temperature gauge reads max..

i believe it is a bad strap between the two gauges. from what i have read that strap is supposed to give + or- 5 volts i have 12 which leads me to believe there is a bad strap. but they don't sell that separately . so new gauges here i come.

Thanks for the reply.

qUittErs nEVeR wIN...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.