Temperature sending unit?? Temp gauge CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Temperature sending unit?? Temp gauge CJ?

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Goondock
2010 JK Wrangler 

Temperature sending unit?? Temp gauge CJ?

I installed a new water pump, thermostat and fan clutch on my amc 360 in my 1982 scrambler.. started the jeep up and let it run for a while.. it seems like everything is working properly but the temp gauge is only moving a little bit. it is the standard gauge cluster form the cj that has the fuel and the temp along with the miles and spedo. The fuel gauge jut stopped moving as well. is that gauge cluster grounded somewhere?

I tested the wire for the temperature sending unit. I took a 12 volt test light grounded it on the negative terminal turned the key on and stuck it on the end of the temperature sending unit wire and the test light pulsed with power.. shouldn't that be lit up solid? what would cause the light to pulse?

any insight would be great. i am nervous to drive the jeep because i don't want o be driving around and have it over heat.

Unread 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
james04si

1977 CJ5 

over in the cj forum you might find better help than here for any cj related issues. John Strenk is the man when it comes to gauges and testing them. Here is his link for testing the gauge circuits http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...eQuickTest.htm
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Goondock
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks James, i asked the same question on CJ8.com and have gotten some insight. i believe i am just going to order new internal gauges and see if that fixes the problem. i got the fuel gauge working last night but the Temperature gauge reads max..

i believe it is a bad strap between the two gauges. from what i have read that strap is supposed to give + or- 5 volts i have 12 which leads me to believe there is a bad strap. but they don't sell that separately . so new gauges here i come.

Thanks for the reply.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.