Tailgate LED Strip for Reverse Lights Only? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tailgate LED Strip for Reverse Lights Only?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Tailgate LED Strip for Reverse Lights Only?

I was just curious is anyone knew how to set up one of those LED tailgate stripes for reverse lights only. The previous owner smoked the taillights and my windows are tinted so I really can't see much when backing up at light. Also, I don't think the LED stripe would look too good with running lights, brake lights, or turn lights, so I just want it to turn it when reversing. It looks like they typicaly just plug into the tow harness. Does any one know how to set this up?

Unread 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Also, does any one have any pics of one of these set ups on a Grand Cherokee?
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

I have one on the rack of my ZJ. Honestly it doesn't throw much light. I'd recommend finding another led source if you want some use able light. But for wiring, my Recon plugged into the trailer plug, hard tapped the reverse line.
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Dozzer295
1993 ZJ 

For Aux. reverse lights I would suggest a cheap pair of fog lights with a relay taped into your reverse light wire, or if you so desire to you could run a separate switch and be able to turn them on or off on demand. I have used cheap AutoZone or Wal-Mart fog as aux reverse lights on both XJs that I have had and probably going to add a pair to my current ZJ. I've mounted them under the bumper tucked up nice and tight to the bumper and I have never had a problem. I personally prefer to Wire mine onto a separate switch so I can used them indecently of the factory reverse lights if I need to.
Dozzer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Where would you recommend mounting these reverse lights? I think they would look awkward on or under the bumer of a WJ. I thought about getting some of those reverse lights you put on the trailer hitch, but not sure they would fit with the way the hitch is mounted on the bumper with the towing package. Maybe another option might be moving the roof rack as far back as possible and mounting them on there, but I don't think it would light up as well. Any ideas?

Not my car:

Unread 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2000 GC Limited. I have a similar problem since my backup lights don't work at all. I plan to install inexpensive 35 w light units inside the bumper about where the plastic bumps out. I will mount them on the inside of the bumper and cut a hole for them to stick out. As to wiring, I'm not sure if the wire still works, but its located inside the left panel near the tailgate. I need to check the wire to see if it has power; if it does, then I'll wire it directly into the harness. I do not have a trailer hitch or I would go directly to the hitch wire and save me a lot of work.

Good luck with your work effort. BTW, some of the LED lights available now are very bright and would work well as replacements for the existing bulbs. The real challenge is to wire the darn things so they work when you want them to do so.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.