Tail Light or Brake Light Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tail Light or Brake Light Mount

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
MCanavan

Tail Light or Brake Light Mount

After searching for all sorts of CB radios, antennas, and mounts for the last few weeks I've narrow down everything except the mount. Which is a better option for mounting the antenna, a tail light mount from Quadratec:

Or the Rocky Road brake light mount:

Also which antenna is better for running trails with overhanging branches:
Everhardt Tiger
Everhardt SOTT

MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
newjeeperguy

I would stay away from the rock-it mount. I have seen several people on the forums complain about them being too thin. I have the TeraFlex mount and like it. It's allot thicker then the one they sell at Q-tec.

I looked at the Rocky Road one and heard nothing but good things about it. I didn't want to shorten my antenna to run such a high mount though.

I would suggest the Teraflex and a 3 foot Tigerflex. It will only stick above the roof line a couple inches so it not going to get whacked around a whole bunch any how. I can take some pics of the T-flex w/3 foot tiger if you need.
newjeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
MCanavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeeperguy
I would stay away from the rock-it mount. I have seen several people on the forums complain about them being too thin. I have the TeraFlex mount and like it. It's allot thicker then the one they sell at Q-tec.

I looked at the Rocky Road one and heard nothing but good things about it. I didn't want to shorten my antenna to run such a high mount though.

I would suggest the Teraflex and a 3 foot Tigerflex. It will only stick above the roof line a couple inches so it not going to get whacked around a whole bunch any how. I can take some pics of the T-flex w/3 foot tiger if you need.
With the Rocky Road mount I would pick up a 2 foot antenna because it will be too high with a 3 foot. I do like the Teraflex mount though. Where did you get it and how much did it cost? As for the Tiger, does it sway back and forth on the highway and when struck by branches? I want an antenna thats stiff but that can take hits from branches. Also which side is better to mount, driver's side or passenger side? I am thinking the passenger side because I want to run the coax through the hole for the third brake light.
Unread 01-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
newjeeperguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanavan
With the Rocky Road mount I would pick up a 2 foot antenna because it will be too high with a 3 foot. I do like the Teraflex mount though. Where did you get it and how much did it cost? As for the Tiger, does it sway back and forth on the highway and when struck by branches? I want an antenna thats stiff but that can take hits from branches. Also which side is better to mount, driver's side or passenger side? I am thinking the passenger side because I want to run the coax through the hole for the third brake light.
Yeh, I wanted the longer range of the 3 foot antenna over the 2 foot. However if you don't need that for just trail use, the RR mount should be fine if you like that type. If you have a hard top its more of a pain, with a soft top it shouldn't matter much.

I got mine on sale at http://www.alljeep.com/ for 30 shipped but I think DC4WD sells them also.

If your going to get a tail light mount and don't have a preference over which side I would suggest the driver side because of the nifty grommet (in the driver side corner) that lets you have a much cleaner install.

The 3 foot Tiger on a Tera mount does not flex much on the Highway at 75 MPH. I don't have a spring on it though. I do run a tennis ball on it just in case but have yet to hear it thump the hard top. On the road or trail.
Unread 01-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
MCanavan

Quote:
Yeh, I wanted the longer range of the 3 foot antenna over the 2 foot. However if you don't need that for just trail use, the RR mount should be fine if you like that type. If you have a hard top its more of a pain, with a soft top it shouldn't matter much.

I got mine on sale at http://www.alljeep.com/ for 30 shipped but I think DC4WD sells them also.

If your going to get a tail light mount and don't have a preference over which side I would suggest the driver side because of the nifty grommet (in the driver side corner) that lets you have a much cleaner install.

The 3 foot Tiger on a Tera mount does not flex much on the Highway at 75 MPH. I don't have a spring on it though. I do run a tennis ball on it just in case but have yet to hear it thump the hard top. On the road or trail.
Do you have a picture of the grommet? I was thinking of installing it on the passenger side so I can wire it through the hole in the tailgate.
Unread 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
newjeeperguy

Yes I posted it in another thread about grounding I think It,s in the driverside corner by the roll bar. Where the wires for the taillight go through.

Unread 01-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
MCanavan

Quote:
Yes I posted it in another thread about grounding I think It,s in the driverside corner by the roll bar. Where the wires for the taillight go through.

So do I wire the coax through this from the wheel weld?
Unread 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
newjeeperguy

Quote:
So do I wire the coax through this from the wheel weld?
Yeh, goes through a hole at the taillight.

Up through the wheel well (its protected by a plastic drop down cover) up through that grommet. Along the tub and to the radio.

The other end comes out by the tailight and goes up to the antenna.

Here the whole thing
Unread 01-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
MCanavan

Quote:
Yeh, goes through a hole at the taillight.

Up through the wheel well (its protected by a plastic drop down cover) up through that grommet. Along the tub and to the radio.

The other end comes out by the tailight and goes up to the antenna.

Here the whole thing
That's awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Now you think the Tiger is the best option or should I go for the stiffer SOTT?
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
newjeeperguy

I have never had a problem with the TigerFlex being to bouncy. However if you feel this would bother you at all I would go for one of the 3/8" antenna's from Everhardt. Either the 1 wave Super Tiger or the 1 1/2 wave Sott.
Plus with those two choices you can get a tunalbe tip. The tiger flex only comes in the cut to tune option.
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
MCanavan

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the TigerFlex being to bouncy. However if you feel this would bother you at all I would go for one of the 3/8" antenna's from Everhardt. Either the 1 wave Super Tiger or the 1 1/2 wave Sott.
Plus with those two choices you can get a tunalbe tip. The tiger flex only comes in the cut to tune option.
I think I'll go with the Super Tiger because it is tunable and in between the stiffness of the Tiger Flex and Sott. As for mounting the antenna I have heard you need a stud mount. I really want a quick disconnect so would a quick disco/stud mount combo be best or can I just run the quick disconnect? Also what is a good caox to get?
Unread 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
newjeeperguy

Quote:
I think I'll go with the Super Tiger because it is tunable and in between the stiffness of the Tiger Flex and Sott. As for mounting the antenna I have heard you need a stud mount. I really want a quick disconnect so would a quick disco/stud mount combo be best or can I just run the quick disconnect? Also what is a good caox to get?
I think that would be a good antenna choice.

I really like that firestick quick disco stud mount that walcott sells. http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=586
I wish I would have seen them before I bought the regular kind from the truck stop.
I have heard that the external ones hold the antenna tighter then the internal type do though.

Coax I would really recommend RG-8X known as mini-8. It is thicker and has a better shielding then RG-58. Usually only cost a little more per foot then the plain RG-58.
Unread 01-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
newjeeperguy

Yes you can run a regular stud mount and a quick disco. Here is the one I use. Picked up from a truck stop.

Unread 01-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
MCanavan

Will the external disconnect rust and be harder to take off? I was thinking of getting the internal one just because it protects the disconnect thingy and also soft of hides the fact that the antenna can just be taken off. Also would it make more sense to get the disconnect/stud mount instead of getting a stud mount and then stacking a disconnect on top of it?
Unread 01-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
MCanavan

Quote:
I think that would be a good antenna choice.

I really like that firestick quick disco stud mount that walcott sells. http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=586
I wish I would have seen them before I bought the regular kind from the truck stop.
I have heard that the external ones hold the antenna tighter then the internal type do though.

Coax I would really recommend RG-8X known as mini-8. It is thicker and has a better shielding then RG-58. Usually only cost a little more per foot then the plain RG-58.
Whats a good brand of coax? Also I know with the quick disconnect QD4A mount I need a PL-259 connection, do I need this same connection for the Uniden Pro 510XL? I noticed on walcott there is a nice Wilson coax but it comes with an FME connection, what is this?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.