System/Custom box virgin, please go easy... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > System/Custom box virgin, please go easy...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-29-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
FutureZJOwner

System/Custom box virgin, please go easy...

Hey all. When I get my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V-8 4X4, I'm gonna do it right. I want a custom sound system that has major MAJOR bass, high decibel levels, and clarity. I am not even sure of the total parts for a custom sound system, I know the head unit, amp (amps in my case), and subwoofers, box, and is there anything else? Also, is it hard to put together the wiring needed for such a custom system, or is it relatively easy? I will search around later, I really appreciate the help..

Sean

FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
Cowthief

Depending on how many amps or subs you have you might need several caps or a whole seperate battery. I am about to add 4 12 inch subs or 3 15 inch subs in the back of my cherokee and i am looking to just have a side battery that i can switch on when i am running high bass. Also they just came out where you can connect more than on cap together. 20v caps run about $200 and 12v caps run around 100. You will also need wiring kits...mono kit for one amp and a duel amp kit for 2 amps. The dual wiring kit isn't cheap i saw one for around $150.
Dual 1 inch tweeters,
Pioneer 6.5 indash dvd/cd/mp3 player
6.5 tv's in headrest
Altezza tail lights, 760W Pioneer amp,
1,500 watt JBL amp
20 inch Edge Crystal Concepts
[url]hometown.aol.com/cowthief/[/url]
Cowthief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
FutureZJOwner

Hey thanks, what are caps? And howdo you keep the accesory battery from running out of juice?

thanks!

Sean
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:37 PM   #4
Quan

I'm a newb at this but i can give you info from what i have learned from listening to my friends talk. Caps are capacitors.. pretty much what they do is they take care of the power to the amps... if you ever see someone pounding their system and you see their headlights dim a little bit.. or their interior lights or the lights on the deck dim... they need a capacitor because the subs/amps draw too much power. The second batter i believe can be wired in to get charged by the alternator.. but i am not sure. hope my rambling helps some.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Cowthief

The alternate battery is hooked up to the alternator. But you have to give it time to charge after a long time of pounding your music. What i do is listen to the radio or something or just turn my subs off. The other day i was playing it hard for about 30 minutes...shut my jeep off and tried to start it and had a dead battery. Sucked very much lol. I am thinking about building my own custom box myself. Right now i have a compitiion bandpass which is very nice.
Dual 1 inch tweeters,
Pioneer 6.5 indash dvd/cd/mp3 player
6.5 tv's in headrest
Altezza tail lights, 760W Pioneer amp,
1,500 watt JBL amp
20 inch Edge Crystal Concepts
[url]hometown.aol.com/cowthief/[/url]
Cowthief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2002, 08:55 PM   #6
boosh

i have a 93 zj and i have replaced every thing electical. i have a cap, gel cell battery, 165 amp alternator and 4 gauge wire every where grounds and every thing. i get no more dim i have 2 amps running and they pull together alittle over 110 amps of jucie themselfs when there at peak i wouldnot recommed the duel battery unless your charging system can handle it. you'll be hurting your self rather then helping, becuase your puting more stress on you alternator and it won't charge your primary battery to full charge much less a secondary. and the box building isn't that hard as long as you know what your doing and stay a way from fiberglass unless your experianced with it. measure twice and you should be fine.

mike

k&n gereation 2 intake and killer sound system! So far

*just totaled* 93 jeep grand cherokee
k&n gereation 2 intake, gibson exhust, low temp thermostat and killer sound system
boosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
eltj

Lets make things less confusing.
You dont need dual batteries unless you running serious current from a large system (1500 watts +). The second batter is the main power sorce for the system unless wired for more voltage in a spl vehicle. The proper way to charge both the car and system battery is with a power isolator. It takes power from the alternator and splits it to both batteries. You cant just put a battery in line with another and get a proper charge from the factory charging system.
A system like the one your talking about will be fine with caps. You want 1farad for every 1000 watts.
The key to building a good system is to making it efficent. Using 2awg in a zj will be better than 4 becuase you have a fairly long run. Good grounds heavy guage speaker wire and even a high out put alternator will all help this.
The only reason you should need another battery is if you plan on running alot of accesories and alot of power. Other wise use quality caps and wires and you should be fine. Look at this link to help with some ideas and questions you might run into.
http://www.the12volt.com/index.asp
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
BrandonD7

Have you decided on what you wanted? First thing you should do is decide how much you want to spend. Wiring can get expensive, depending on how much power you are running. I'm guessing you also want new speakers to replace the stock ones, and maybe an amp for them too. Other than that you got everything major listed.

BTW I wouldn't worry about extra batteries/caps until you see a problem, I would add a second battery if you plan on running your system with the car off for a long time, but like has been said it is a temporary fix, it still has to draw power from the alt.
BrandonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.