Switch/Relay help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Switch/Relay help

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Switch/Relay help

I'm eventually going to wire my up my fogs that I got for my birthday in May, just haven't got around to it. They are just cheap walmart lights, 55w bulbs, but probably going to put something like 100w bulbs in. I am looking to wire them myself, as the wiring it came with doesn't include relay and has a cheap switch. I am looking to use a Carling rocker type switch.

This is where I am confused. When purchasing a switch, do I want a SPST or SPDT switch? Same goes with the relay; SPST or SPDT? I want to get this right the first time, and I'm sure some know what is best. Any takers?

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For a basic fog lamp circuit, all you will need are a SPST ON-OFF (not momentary) switch and a SPST relay. (Most, if not all automotive relays are SPST or SPDT.)

I may want to talk you out of the 100W bulbs since a cheap fog lamp housing may not be able to handle the additional heat. If you do end up going the 100W route, you will also need to upgrade the wiring to 12 gauge or 10 gauge on the power and ground leads directly for the lamps.

Switch Types:

Relay Types:

(A typical 30Amp ISO/Mini-Relay w/ Mounting Tab shown above. Commonly called a "Bosch relay."

Anyone of the relay types above will do. The 'single-87' (SPST) and '87-87A' (SPDT) terminal relays are the most common. If you can locate a 'dual-87' (SPST) terminal relay as shown in the first pin-view diagram above would be a bonus. The 'dual-87' terminal configuration just makes wiring two lamps a little easier and cleaner. Nothing else.

Typical Fog/Driving Lamp schematic:

Another representation:

(87A terminal, center, not used)
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Wow. Thank you for all that information! That will help me a lot! As far as the bulb wattage, the housing is metal and has glass lenses, is it wrong for me to assume I will be ok with higher wattage bulbs? I know if I do that, I will need larger gauge wire, but that wont be a problem (just a little more expensive)

Again, thank you Slithering_Joe. It's members like you that make this forum an awesome place!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.