Suggestions on Satellite Radio/Audio Choices - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Suggestions on Satellite Radio/Audio Choices

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-13-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Rubie Nubie

Suggestions on Satellite Radio/Audio Choices

I'm looking into a new H/U and an
upgraded speaker set-up for my '04 Rub.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a short list of questions.
1. Sirius or XM, which is better, and why...
2. Looking to fit a Satellite ready H/U don't
really want to use the add-on kit. Which
brand/model would you recommend.
3. Where would one install the adapter and
the ant. so it wouldn't interfere with top removal.
4. What would you recommend for a speaker
upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch
the front 4x6s with a set of 5 1/4's.
5. Any other opinions suggestions or do's+don't
would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Last edited by Rubie Nubie; 10-13-2004 at 01:05 PM..
Rubie Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubie Nubie
I'm looking into a new H/U and an
upgraded speaker set-up for my '04 Rub.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a short list of questions.
1. Sirius or XM, which is better, and why...
2. Looking to fit a Satellite ready H/U don't
really want to use the add-on kit. Which
brand/model would you recommend.
3. Where would one install the adapter and
the ant. so it wouldn't interfere with top removal.
4. What would you recommend for a speaker
upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch
the front 6x9's with a set of 5 1/4's.
5. Any other opinions suggestions or do's+don't
would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dave
First, this question will be answered better in the radios and electrical section . I would go with Sirius, simply because Howard Stern has signed on with them . Receiver, I went with Pioneer. Ant., I had mine mounted on the inside of my jeep, ran up through the roll bar padding near the front window (well hidden of course). Can you switch the front speakers to 6x9's? I know they make brackets to fit larger speakers in the front, but 6x9's? And to answer #5, I turn this over to SirGcal; SirGcal, if you please........
[COLOR=red][B]MODS: [/B] [/COLOR] [B]4.5 RE SUPERFLEX / 33inch SSR'S / WARN REAR BUMPER / JEEPERS & CREEPERS T-BODY / J&C DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM / J&C FRONT & REAR DIFF GUARD / WARN XD9000i WINCH & RECOVERY GEAR / ARB BULLBAR / PSC FULL ROLL CAGE / L.E.D TAILLIGHTS / IPF 930 SUPER RALLY LIGHTING / COBRA 75 WX ST CB / POWER TANK PT-10 OBA / TOM WOODS C/V / GARMIN 60CS GPS[/B]
[COLOR=red][B]CURRENT PROJECT:[/B][/COLOR] [B]Nth DEGREE ARMOR INSTALL[/B]
ONE JEEPBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went with XM and I'm really enjoying its ad-free (except on TV feed news channels like Fox, CNN, CNBC, etc.) content. And considering Sirius has lost $5B in the past five years, I'm not so sure they'll win in this contest between XM and Sirius. Now that I know that America's trash-jock Mr. No-Class Howard Stern has gone to Sirius, I'm even happier with my choice of XM.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
James04TJ

I went with XM for the exact reason that Jerry mentioned. The industry is very cost heavy and XM has a huge customer base compared to the other.

Pioneer has most of their units XM ready and you can get a small external tuner that will interface with any XM ready Pioneer head. I mounted my antenna out on my hood and it performs well. I notched out the windshield washer jet to pass the antenna wire.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
incubus2012

i have xm in both my vehicles and love it. i havent listened to fm since. i cant comment on sirrus since i dont know about it, but even if u choose that it will still be leaps and bounds over fm. i love talk radio and there is talk on 24/7, plus the sound quality is great
incubus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
SirGCal

I personally don't care for either of them.. But that's just my personal preference. From installing the systems though, I will say this.

The realistic differences between Sirius and XM right now are simply that Sirius seems to be more expensive, has a few less channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRadio.com
XM is 68 Commercial-Free Music Channels, 33 Channels of News, Sports, Talk & Entertainment, 21 dedicated Channels of XM Instant Traffic & Weather, and the Deepest Playlist in the industry with access to over 2 million titles! All for just $9.99 a month with no contracts.
+$6.99/month for multiple recievers up to 5 total recievers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius.com
You'll get exclusive access to 65 channels of the best 100% commercial-free music, plus 55 channels of sports, news and talk.. (For Only $12.95/mo or a special one time fee of $499.99 until 12/31)
+$6.99/month for multiple recievers up to 4 total recievers.

Both get cheaper if you pay in bulk.

Most people choose by content. But alot of people choose by going with the brand their preferred after-market manufacturer uses. Like Alpine is XM and Clarion is Sirius. Soon however, manufacturers will offer units capable of recieving both formats so that will also no-longer be a limiting factor (look for Eclipse and Alpine to be one of the first to do it.) So this could effect your second question and you might have to decide; which is more important. Satellite radio choice or manufacturer radio brand choice? Luckily both brands have some excelent manufacturers backing them. Alpine is the only one I'm currently aware of that has an on-board reciever though. Requiring only an antenna which I think is even included with the unit on the Alpine CDA-9820XM. This could be both pro and con to the item but it's an option.

The best place for the antenna is on the highest flat surface of the vehicle. If you have a TJ or other wrangler, this poses a small issue and people have gotten creative with their placement. The recievers are small enough to be tucked in a number of places but the antenna does need to have a pretty good shot to the sky. Some people put them on the cowl and that seems to work ok. Others have put the slim ones under the cloth on the sound-bar and that seems to work ok too. Neither of these are ideal options but there is no ideal spot in a wrangler. I've even heard of people mounting them to the spare tire mount somehow and having fair luck with that location also. It really depends on the area you live in and if you need to depend more on the satellites or groudn repeaters more to which you might choose. On any vehicle with a solid roof, no question somewhere uptop is the best for the antenna. Not to close to a rack or other item.

As for your forth question... I'm not sure which vehicle comes with 6x9" upfront. Did you mean the 4x6" fronts of a wrangler? That would be a good idea if so... The round speakers, in my opinion, have a smoother sound and distort less than off-shaped speakers.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
Rubie Nubie

Sorry about the placement, thanks for the move
Thanks to everybody for the help I really appreciate it.
And sorry for the typo, I guess I'm showing my age...4x6
instead of the incorrectly stated 6x9's...
Anybody else have any other ideas.
Rubie Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Sirius has lost $5B in the past five years, I'm not so sure they'll win in this contest between XM and Sirius. Now that I know that America's trash-jock Mr. No-Class Howard Stern has gone to Sirius, I'm even happier with my choice of XM.
They have lost money, but the stock for Sirius has jumped up and has done nothing but rise since the announcement that Howard Stern will be Blessing their airwaves. No-class? That's why you got to love him. I guess it's just personal preference there Jerry. I'm sure Howard's glad you're an XM listener (not to rip on XM, got it in my wife's car).
[COLOR=red][B]MODS: [/B] [/COLOR] [B]4.5 RE SUPERFLEX / 33inch SSR'S / WARN REAR BUMPER / JEEPERS & CREEPERS T-BODY / J&C DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM / J&C FRONT & REAR DIFF GUARD / WARN XD9000i WINCH & RECOVERY GEAR / ARB BULLBAR / PSC FULL ROLL CAGE / L.E.D TAILLIGHTS / IPF 930 SUPER RALLY LIGHTING / COBRA 75 WX ST CB / POWER TANK PT-10 OBA / TOM WOODS C/V / GARMIN 60CS GPS[/B]
[COLOR=red][B]CURRENT PROJECT:[/B][/COLOR] [B]Nth DEGREE ARMOR INSTALL[/B]
ONE JEEPBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #9
Chrisca

Look at http://www.xmradio.com/xm_direct/

Tuner and antenna is $49 and the cable adapter is $49.

This will allow you to hook XM into many, many factory & aftermarket systems, very easily.
Unread 10-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #10
Jeep Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm selling my sirius antenna and tuner for $75 if anyones interested.
Jeep Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
James04TJ

Here are some pics of the hood mount:

Trimmed the corner of the washer jet to pass the antenna wire:
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #12
mattd

I went with the alpine 9820XM head unit. It's the only model with the sat receiver already installed. I can't complain but others might since you don't get to see the channel number/title/artist all at the same time. It has plenty of power and works fine in a vertical mounting position. Put the antenna under the rollbar padding, it works fine there, won't mess up your paint, and nobody knows you have it. I put the head unit in a tuffy console and left the blank plate in the dash.
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.