Subwoofers/Amp..Opinions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subwoofers/Amp..Opinions!

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Subwoofers/Amp..Opinions!

So, currently i have (1) Pioneer (12") Subwoofer, wired to (1) American Legacy 600 Watt Amplifier.

The amp is "bridgeable", you could call it. A.K.A I can run more than one sub off it.

But, how much can the amp take without over-doing it? Just wondering if I can put (2) Pioneer (12") Subwoofers to the (1) Amp.

Is that too much? I read somewhere online (PROBABLY B.S.), that the amp can only take how many watts the subwoofer can.

For example, if (1) Subwoofer was rated for 400 watts, and i wanted (2) Subwoofers, I would need at least a 800 Watt Amp.

Online, i read that my Pioneer (12"), is rated for 1300 Watts. This confused me, as i certainly do not have a 1300 Watt Amp.

Does any of that make sense? Thanks in advance.

acurrier2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Look at RMS ratings and Peak ratings. Most speakers have a range.

For example, this Pioneer: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130W309...11#details-tab

Is rated for 50-400 watts RMS. That is the "constant" power it will accept from an amp. The Peak rating is 1,400 watts. You want an amp that has an RMS rating somewhere in there, probably towards the higher end of the range, without exceeding the range.

For example, this amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M135...34#details-tab
Has an RMS rating of 210 Watts, and a peak of 750 watts. So based on watts, it would be fine. I don't know enough about ohms and all of the wiring differences available, so wait on someone else to come along with more knowledge on that. But whenever I have run a pair of subs, it was a 2-channel amp, not a mono one like the one I linked. Separate wires to each sub from the amp.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info!! I would be using the same ground wire, remote wire, etc. that is wired to the amp, just different wires(obviously) from the same amp to the 2nd subwoofer.

But keep the answers/opinions coming!
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully buying another subwoofer tomorrow. but i need more info!!
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What you read is true. If you had 2 400 watt subs, they would need 800 watts together, so you would need a 800 watt amp.
If you can find out the RMS rating of the sub you have and the ohm rating, and then find the RMS power of the amp you have, we could tell you if adding another sub would work or not.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

After reading this, i believe the RMS rating is a max of 300 (which is good, because i want (2), and i have a 600 watt amp). Is that too slim of a margin?

Yiu guys tell me, do it or upgade the amp first?

Sorry for all the questions, as this is my first DIY sound system experience. Id rather not walk out from a store to find my XJ burning to the ground, due to a bad setup.
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So if I understand you the subs are 300 watts each? Any idea what ohms they are.
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I wouldn't pay attention to the wattage....I would pay attention to the impedance. Run 10 woofers of you want but don't go below the amount of Ohms your amp can do.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for not replying for a couple days, been outta town. I currently have 2 subwoofers running off the 600 watt amp. It is a 2 channel amp. Damn thing keeps going off on me. Theres a red "protectant" light that comes on, and the amp/subs stop working.

Call me stupid, but im assuming its too much for the amp? Probably going to have to upgrade. Any ideas? Any suggestions on amps? Maybe ill post some pics up to see if theres any obvious triggers for why this happens. When they work, they work awesome. No problems, until it all goes down hill....lol
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's why you need to figure out the ohms of the subs.
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

4 ohms. unless i cant read. that happens sometimes...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSW3...ml#details-tab
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. They are the same subs, right? I assume you have them hooked up bridged. If so, just hook one subwoofer to one channel, and one sub to the other channel.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You seem to be a little lost. A few tips - legacy brand car audio is about the worst you can buy. That 600 watts is probably more like 150 watts. They hyper-inflate their power numbers to sell them. Legacy is one of the classic "flea market" companies. Secondly, bridgeable means you are combining both of the channels to a mono channel. You can run AS MANY subs as you want off of 1 channel as long as the impedance is correct. However each sub will get less power the more you add.

Trust me, that amp is probably on its way out, their quality is bottom of the barrel. The whole wattage thing isnt very well understood, I have a 1200 watt sub, I can run it all day with 200 watts... it just wont be very loud.

The sub you listed right there is perfect for that amp. Its a single 4 ohm voice coil which is what a 2 channel amp wants when running mono. If you want louder bass, you are going to have to upgrade, perhaps buy a second pioneer and get a quality mono amp...
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It has to be the amp. I had both subwoofers (yes they are the same), correctly wired to the amp. Looks like ill be buying another amp. Any suggestions?
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Again, if they are both 4 ohm subs and you had them hooked up in parallel bridged on the amp, the impedance was too low for the amp hooked up that way. If you hooked one to one channel and the other to the other channel, the impedance would be ok, and it would probably work, just not be very loud. But I agree, I've never heard of American legacy amps.

My vote is always Rockford fosgate, but I think JL is another top one, and ken wood and pioneer ain't bad. Look for an amp that can do 600 watts at a 2 ohm load. A mono amp would be cheaper also.

Tags
amplifier , pioneer , subwoofer , watts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.