Subwoofer security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subwoofer security

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
ahosko13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subwoofer security

Hey guys I'm lookin to buy a subwoofer for the jeep. I know with the hardtop on and the hard doors it will be relatively secure if I get the windows tinted so its not visible, but Im wondering if any of you guys have a setup in your jeep that looks nice and keeps it secure, especially with the top off. By the way im taking out the back seat so I will have all that room back there. Any ideas? If you have a setup could you post pics or a link to what you have in mind. Thanks

ahosko13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
joshhtfld
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You most likely will have to custom make something like the tuffy trunk box, I plan on making a similar design because my amp and capacitor are mounted to the top of the box and the tuffy design doesn't give me the adequate height needed
joshhtfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
a_springfield
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am just make a fiberglass covered box then bolt the box down from inside then use one way screws to mount the sub in the box.
a_springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best way to do it is to keep it unseen, so you might want to try a box mounted to the tailgate. There are some commercial versions available if you don't want to build one.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-135-0...l-console.aspx

Looked at this at all? If you're fine with an 8" sub that's about as secure as it's gonna get

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Secure trunk style ftw...got mine from just4effect.com but many members have copied the design. If you run the seat you might like sirgcals in the rear seat enclosure.
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unseen isn't good enough......I mean, anyone who hears the bass is going to know it's there and easy pickings if it's just hidden.

I just built a custom down firing box for 2-10"s to fit between the rear seat and the tail gate. Since the subs are down firing they can't be taken out easily and they're protected from the weather. The top of the box is almost flush with the fender humps height wise. So, now I'm going to cut a piece of wood that goes from each of the two fender humps and fits flush against the back of the rear seat and the tail gate. It will be mounted down by studs counter sunk in the wood and nuts put on underneath. There will be carpet over the studs. When I get home I'll try to post a few pics of what I have done so far.
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat and I thought about doing a tailgate mounted box. I saw in other posts that SirGCal said that the subs will have a much shorter life being exposed on the tailgate. I loked at the justforeffect boxes and think I would run into the same issue with running no top or back seats in the summer. I wish someone made a down firing center console so it could be stealthy and protect it from the weather.

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only way to keep subs perfectly secure is to not install them, because no matter what you do, they can always just steal the Jeep. Obviously that's not the situation here, so you have to be as secure as possible. Bolting AND strapping the box to the floor, down-firing the subs in a ported box behind a plexi face attached with one-way screws, and covering the box/amplifiers for a stealth appearance. Simply hearing the bass won't do much...unless you're really hitting it hard and not rattling, they have no reason to follow you thinking they'll get a good score. If you're just parked, tinted windows tend to draw attention, but having a totally flat "trunk" cover behind the front seats with some random junk tossed on top should be enough of a deterrent. Pretty much if you make your vehicle look/sound like you put some serious effort into a quality system, they'll think it's quality and take it. If you make it so it sounds good but looks like ***, they'll be likely to pass on by when you're parked.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My seat stays in, but I built this for mine. It's not the best pic, but you can see it made from aluminum diamond plate. Keeps things out of sight.

2009-05-25-refurbishing-trailer-018.jpg
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That looks nice. I took my back seat out to run my dogs in the back, so putting a sub somwhere is going to be challenging. I might just end up building a box for the Tuffy center console and throwing an 8" sub in there.

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're running with dogs in the back I'd go with a full-bed shallow box with down-firing subs, to allow you SOME vertical room for your dogs. You can probably even step up the box where the subs are, and shallow out where the dogs would sit. You'll need a good amount of bracing to stiffen up the box, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. Sounds like a good project.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
ahosko13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That diamond plate looks like a good idea, how big of a sub do you have in the trunk? Ive been thinking about putting it there, but i can't afford to buy the box off a website. My dad and I have decided to try to make some plans that will allow space in the trunk and have some drawers. (i saw a guy on here that put a sliding drawer in the back with different compartments, and I thought that was a nifty idea) I think that ill incorporate the diamond plate into it thanks for the idea.
ahosko13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like the diamond plate....may have to borrow that idea on finishing mine. Here is a picture of the box I just built. The 10's I have only require about .38 cubic ft each (sealed). So, it's quite small.

Here it is from the top....it fits snug up against the back of the rear seat.

Here's a shot with the gait open. The corners are notched to fit the hinge / latch, etc.

Here it is leaned over to see the bottom.

I was going to cut the top panel to reach across and then carpet everything, but I'm tossing the diamond plate idea around.
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Down firing subs behind the seat should works good.
I have a setup of 2 - 10" subs. You have to move the seat forward and open the back door to even get that to move. It wont shimmie upward. As long as the back gate is locked there slim chance of them taking it (in my case)

The back seat helps keep it hidden.
Put an alarm with shock sensor to help deter and at least make noise / call attention. (i have a two way so i know if something is disturbing my jeep)

You can also use bolt brackets to slow them down (also helps incase of a wreck it dont come flying at you as easily.)

I have a husky and he does not mind sitting in the back on the seat. (although he mostly sits up front with me)

What i'd like to do is modify the back seat release cable from its original location. If that seat does not move forward, there is 0 chance of my sub getting removed in a timely fashion.

Tags
audio , security , subwoofer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.