Subwoofer in Overland WJ Please Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subwoofer in Overland WJ Please Help

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
dhaliwalia
2003 WJ 

Subwoofer in Overland WJ Please Help

Im loooking to install a subwoofer into my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wj Overland, which has the infinity sound system. I have the stock nav head unit and would like to keep it. There is already a stock amp and the speakers on the front doors are considered subwoofers but I think another amp may be needed. Can some please walk me through the process and adding a sub to my sound system and the cables and parts I will need?

Thanks!

dhaliwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
JohnnyBertone
2003 WJ 

Unfortunately you'd need a new radio head with subwoofer RCA out, depending on why size subwoofer and amp you'll need a wiring kit which comes with power wire with inline fuse, antenna cable and ground cable, then you'd need an amplifier just for the subwoofer, a subwoofer and a box, and about 2 hours
JohnnyBertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Actually you wouldn't have to replace the radio. Search and buy a high to low audio converter. They even sell them at walmart. As for sub and amp it all depends on what you want, then just buy an amp install kit. As for the converter you would tap into your rear speakers and plug your RCA cables into that. Also some amps have the converter built in, in which you would just tap into the rears and run that into the amps high input.
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
JohnnyBertone
2003 WJ 

I thought the high and low pass splitters were expensive that's why I didn't suggest one but yea you could do that too
JohnnyBertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5261_PAC-LC2.html
you get a loc and a control knob in one.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-DB1212.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-P300X1.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VX-XKIT42.html
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
WJefy
2004 WJ 

Just did this in my '04 Overland. Wjjeeps has the pin out wiring diagram for your Infinity amp. You'll need the remote turn on lead from that location, as well. I used a $20 PAC generic Hi-low converter, but someone in a different thread posted a $30 PAC converter that just plugs in (cannot verify functionality). Good luck!
image-2913946604.jpg

image-803250490.jpg

WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
wjguru86

Most amplifiers have high level inputs on them and would not require purchasing a separate one.
EDIT: sorry bubbadiesel didn't notice you already mentioned that. I'm also going to add that you are going to be tapping into the speaker output of the factory amp. not the audio input from the radio. You can grab the signal from any speaker. And you only need to grab one if you're only running one subwoofer.
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.