Subwoofer Mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subwoofer Mounting

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 07-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
pnarkiew
2008 WK 

Subwoofer Mounting

Hello,
I am pretty new to the car modification scene, and had a question that might be really stupid, but then again I don't know much about car audio. I own a 2008 WK and noticed that in the trunk on the ceiling there is a fairly deep groove from about halfway back in the trunk to above the rear seat head-pieces. I am fairly interested in adding a subwoofer to the vehicle, and noticed that an Earthquake SWS 8" or 10" in its smallest possible box (11"x11"x3" for the 8" sub) would fit well in this groove (i dont even think it would even block vision out of the rearview mirror at all).
Is it possible to mount a subwoofer the ceiling of a vehicle and get good sound? Would it be possible to mount this subwoofer in such a way? I wouldnt be worried about such a tricky mounting option if I didnt routinely use up just about all my trunk space.

I really appreciate any response. Again, my knowledge of audio electronics is limited, but I do know when I'd like to get a little deeper and better sound out of my system. Thanks for your time.

pnarkiew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
SirGCal

Ya, in a fully enclosed vehicle this is possible. You'll probably want it to point toward the rear glass still though (unless this spot is WAY back in the rear). Firing direction can greatly change the results. But I doubt you'll really get a 3" deep box (don't forget material and face depth...) up there without blocking your view... but...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
SmileofFury
2005 WK 

pnarkiew, did you already install your sub? I'm trying to add a sub as well, but like you, routinely use the entire cargo space, rear seats folded down and everything. Just trying to find out what some other solutions are.

I'm looking at using two 6.5" Kickers (10CVT654) in a 4" x 15" x 24" box on the left side of the cargo space. This would only take up 96 sq inches of floor space in the cargo area and the box would only protrude 4" toward the center of the cargo area from the left quarter paneling.
SmileofFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
pnarkiew
2008 WK 

Hey SmileofFury,
I ended up not putting the sub in, but put some Vision X LED Xmitter bars on my yakima roof basket instead =D I just wasnt willing to give up any space, so i guess adding a sub wasnt for me. If i woulda done anything though i probably woulda gone with the stealthbox.
pnarkiew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
SmileofFury
2005 WK 

Cool, thanks. Yeah, stealthbox is probably the best space saver. I think I might try to make my own...

My First DIY Fiberglass Sub Box

Lot of good info in the comments as well.
SmileofFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio , mounting , speakers , subwoofer , trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.