Subwoofer Help - Pioneer TS-SWX251 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subwoofer Help - Pioneer TS-SWX251

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
jeepbreath
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Subwoofer Help - Pioneer TS-SWX251

Guys,
I have just finished installing a new head unit and front/soundbar speakers in a 2000 TJ. I chose the Kenwood KMR-330 marine receiver and Polk DB 521's and 651's for the front and rear speakers. I polyfilled behind all of the speakers too. The high's and mid's are great, but as everyone knows, it's lacking bass. I immediately started looking at sub choices and came across SirGCal's in seat sub box, which is an awesome idea and perfect for concealing the sub. I do hope to do this one day when I have the tools and space to build it out. In the meantime, I came across this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ount/TS-SWX251

It contains a 10" shallow mount sub, and the dimensions are only 19x12x6, which would fit between the mounts for the two car seats I'm hauling around. It is also downfiring, which I've read is the best for open top cruising. I have a Kenwood KAC 6104d mono amp rated at 200 watts RMS to push the sub.

My questions are: Has anyone had any experience with this sub, and how would one recommend mounting it so that it would be secure, but could be removed if need be rather easily (pad lock and hasp?). Also, it looks to be covered in carpet, so would anyone cover it in something else to try and add water resistance to the sub? Finally, I believe I would be mounting the amp under the rear seat, attached to the bottom of the seat so it's off the cargo area to protect against possible moisture. Any thoughts on the amp mounting?

Thanks,
RB

jeepbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

seems a lil high n price for the sound you would probably get out of it. But i have no first hand experience with that particular one. as far as weather proofing it, you could coat it in fiberglass resin, sand and spray it. Mounting, you could get some L brackets and use any wierd type of screw/bolt just not a phillips or flat head.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
jeepbreath
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know the MSRP is $219, but it can be had for less than $120 online.

Thanks for the reply thus far.
jeepbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
lraesly

Jeepbreath,

Did you ever install this subwoofer? Where?

Best,

Lee
lraesly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Marine13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever end up getting this subwoofer and if so how is it?
Marine13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
lraesly

Marine13,

I just bought it and will have it installed this week. I paired it with an Alpine PDX 6 amp which may be overkill...

It fits nicely in the way back of my 2011 two door wrangler. Leaves room for packages, groceries, etc. I am thinking of securing it to the cover of the hidden compartment (and maybe replacing the cover with a metal one) with a lock. This would allow for the rear seat to be folded up (by slipping out the compartment - otherwise the speaker blocks the seat).

I'll post results in a new thread once done.

Lee
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
lraesly

Cubby cover is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Security-Products-2007-2011-Unlimited/dp/B002Y31A1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317776599&sr=8-1
Lee
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Marine13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response!
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
lraesly

I just got the sub installed and it's pretty impressive... at least for my discriminating tastes (if I do say so myself ).

I'll post a more complete review this weekend including some photos. But.. Alpine PDX 6 and Pioneer tw-sws251 both recommended if you're looking for a compact sub solution.

Lee
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
SirGCal

Actually, of the pre-packaged options out there, this is probably one of the best for topless jeeps. It should work nicely for what it is.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Marine13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraesly View Post
I just got the sub installed and it's pretty impressive... at least for my discriminating tastes (if I do say so myself ).

I'll post a more complete review this weekend including some photos. But.. Alpine PDX 6 and Pioneer tw-sws251 both recommended if you're looking for a compact sub solution.

Lee
Show us some pics of how you installed it please.
Unread 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
iavthanutz

sub enclosure

Did anyone try to put this speaker under the backseat? Instead of building a custom box and putting it in to the seat I was thinking about just hollowing out the bottom of the back seat enough to fit this sub enclosure under the seat?
iavthanutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
SirGCal

In effect, that is exactly the same thing. You have to hollow out the seat and remove the framework to make the in-seat box anyhow. You would have to do the same to 'put' something like this in the same spot. And I doubt it would support the seat like the custom built box would. You're better off laying it on the floor as others have.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.