subwoofer!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > subwoofer!!!!!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
garrett

subwoofer!!!!!

i have a 05 with a stock 8 in the center console do you guys think i could go buy a aftermarket subwoofer and switch them out and put a 300 watt amp or so on. would that sub that work good? or would it rattle loose and sound crappy or would it not work at all? please give feedback on what you guys think! thanks!!!!

garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, first off I doubt it would fit without modification. The stock sub is very thin. Also, you will need an aftermarket deck with pre-outs in order to plug the amp in.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would not put anything in the center console.

Buy a 10" sub and amp... mount it behind your rear seat in a custom box.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
garrett

why not put anything there if i put a box under the back seat is easy to see and steel plus it would be cheeper to just put a aftermarket small 8 inch sub (one that would fit) what do you mean pre outs on the deck?
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett
why not put anything there if i put a box under the back seat is easy to see and steel plus it would be cheeper to just put a aftermarket small 8 inch sub (one that would fit) what do you mean pre outs on the deck?
Isn't worth it to put one in the console, it will sound bad compared to what you can do for not much more money.

If the box is made right, and bolted down correctly, it will look stock and not stand out to thieves at all.

On your headunit, you need a remote turn on for your amp, along with the audio out cables to go to your amp.

Unread 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
xtremebikr04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You dont need an aftermarket radio with pre-outs to run an amp, they have a $20 adapter that you tap into your speaker wires and on that adapter are pre-outs, its meant to be used with factory stereos or stereos that dont have pre-outs.
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
garrett

ya hey rocky i was just lookin at your profile pics how did you get that gps that is bad a! does it flip up? i have a hand help i keep haha in the console! oh ya and how doesy our flow master sound? ive been thinkin about puttin one of those too oh and back to the sub what size amp would you recomend to power that 10?
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
An amplifier plugs into pre-outs (plugs, RCA connections, not speaker wire) on the back of the deck. That's how it gets it's signal. Then your sub plugs into the amp with speaker wire...

I suggest you find out a little about how aftermarket systems work, and take some measurements of the console.. I haven't checked myself, but I find it very unlikely that any aftermarket sub would fit in there. I would take Rocky's advice and look into getting a small sub box built instead of worrying about trying to fit it in the stock location.

http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ya hey rocky i was just lookin at your profile pics how did you get that gps that is bad a! does it flip up? i have a hand help i keep haha in the console! oh ya and how doesy our flow master sound? ive been thinkin about puttin one of those too oh and back to the sub what size amp would you recomend to power that 10?
That is the Jeep Garmin Trail Guide... made for Daimler Chrysler. What you see is what you get, and it is removeable and can tuck away and you can shut the door that says JEEP on it.

Here is the sub I have:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10DVQ'&Ser=KPE&C at=SUB

Here is the amp I have:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF611A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

Sounds perfect when mounted in the box built to the specified dimensions.

Unread 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremebikr04
You dont need an aftermarket radio with pre-outs to run an amp, they have a $20 adapter that you tap into your speaker wires and on that adapter are pre-outs, its meant to be used with factory stereos or stereos that dont have pre-outs.
Yeah but if you're wanting the sound quality and good bass of an aftermarket system, this is not the way to go. It's basically a cheap fix that sounds bad in comparison to even a lower end brand name $150 deck.. say a lower end Pioneer with pre-outs.

Plus if you buy a brand name deck you will usually get pre-outs for your other speakers in case you wanted to power your midrange/tweeters, and other capabilities, like mp3, satellite radio, etc built in.

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
That is the Jeep Garmin Trail Guide... made for Daimler Chrysler. What you see is what you get, and it is removeable and can tuck away and you can shut the door that says JEEP on it.

Here is the sub I have:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10DVQ'&Ser=KPE&C at=SUB

Here is the amp I have:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF611A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

Sounds perfect when mounted in the box built to the specified dimensions.
Kappas.. VERY nice stuff Rocky!

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
gawdzkitchen

There are several subs that are thin enough to fit either in the console or even under the front seats. Crutchfield.com will tell you what will work, then go online and find the one you want at a better price. Just my $.02.
Orange Jeep Club Member #1
gawdzkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
garrett

ya thanks guys
Unread 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
garrett

one more question.. how do i get my pics on my profile?
Unread 01-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Adam98TJ

I just built a box that fits in my "add a trunk," put 2 8in Rockford Fosgates in with a 300w amp. The thing pounds. Plus...harder to steal. I would stay away from the console speakers.
Adam98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.