Subs in Jeep TJ. Ill answer any questions on your installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Subs in Jeep TJ. Ill answer any questions on your installation

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Subs in Jeep TJ. Ill answer any questions on your installation

I have installed subs into two jeeps so far, Both have been TJs. If any one has any questions please post them here. If you attatch a picture that will be best but I will try and guide you through it. I made a custom box to fit my subs, They are 2 12inch JLs with a 1600 watt amp. I dont use the amp to the max becasue there is no need to. please post questions

suba.jpg   subas.jpg  

Last edited by WhitestAfrican; 11-18-2012 at 08:27 PM..
WhitestAfrican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's just what I purchased a Jeep for in 02,a flippen 1600 watt subwoofer system I could install for the street!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

does that sub box have the recommended air volume for both of those subs? i have a kicker cvr 12" in a similar box that is a little bit smaller and it is the minimum size.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
does that sub box have the recommended air volume for both of those subs? i have a kicker cvr 12" in a similar box that is a little bit smaller and it is the minimum size.
It does not meet the air space you are suppose to have, but I have had no problems with it so far, Kicker does a good job with their boxes so you should be Okay.
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Pete3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you place the amp? I'm not sure where to put mine afraid of water
Pete3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete3 View Post
Where did you place the amp? I'm not sure where to put mine afraid of water
You can lift up your backseat and lay it under the seat, Mine is mounted under the seat so it does not bounce around. Enough room under there too because the seat sit reletivly high off the ground
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/
Is where this belongs maybe?lol Not in tech!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
how do i move it there?
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
You really must have a deep hatred for subs. I also never realize why "some" audio threads get moved to that forum. It see's hardly any traffic and most TJ audio questions can be answered here. But hey, I'm not a mod.

OP answer this question for me: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/s...b-box-1429211/

The original designer of the box said it was impossible, but I still want it to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
No, for the box/sub to function, you have to have roughly half (for a 10" sub, 4") the diameter for sound wave clearance. Otherwise you can run compression problems and even possibly damage the driver. But to do that without modifying the seat, you'd have to raise the seat a whole lot more then 1". The only other choice would be a front-firing setup which exposes the drivers to turbulent wind topless which could also damage them.

And honestly, if done properly, the modifications to the seat make it MORE secure then it was before. The first seat I did was tested to the failing point which was enough pressure to break the metal mounts themselves. The ONLY Downside is the seat is firmer then it was stock, but still plenty comfortable for average passengers.

On the flip-side if you just don't want to mess with the seat, then a behind-the-seat, down-firing box is the best choice for Jeep Wranglers that like to run topless. It gives you the best sound over all situations. Do NOT run rear or up-firing unless you never take the top off as bass-loss at highway speeds is tremendous in those configurations. Down-firing it is minimum. And you can make your own insta-trunk with the sub taking up one side (passenger side) and the amp on that or the underside of the roof. It obviously does take up some room but, it's the least you'll get without doing the in-seat or other very custom setups.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OP answer this question for me: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/s...b-box-1429211/

The original designer of the box said it was impossible, but I still want it to happen.[/QUOTE]

Okay well, I do not reccomend putting those subs in or under the seats, It will not sounds as good as you would like it to. The plan looks good in that other picture. If you would like me post the box specs I will because that may be helpful to others looking to put subs in. I have made another box like mine for my friend and he loves it. Try to make one like the picture above.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather put them under the seat. I just don't want to take up any space in the rear. The subs and amp will only run me around $400, and then materials for the box maybe ~$100. I'll try it and see what happens.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is the specs for the box above in the picture, You can mod the box to fit your needs but this is how I made it. This is for 2 12 inch subs...... This picture will not load
audiodrawing.jpg  

Last edited by WhitestAfrican; 11-18-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: add picture
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I made my box out of 3/4" mdf wood, it isnt a kicker box. Ive had my amp under my seat for years and had no problems, and i ratchet strap my sub box down to the floor hooks on either side of the trunk area.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
BigBlue21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I recently took everything out of my jeep to bedcoat the interior, When i hooked the sub and amp back up wierd stuff was happening, when i plugged it in my radio turned on without the key being on and my amp started smoking, any ideas?
BigBlue21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
WhitestAfrican
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue21 View Post
I recently took everything out of my jeep to bedcoat the interior, When i hooked the sub and amp back up wierd stuff was happening, when i plugged it in my radio turned on without the key being on and my amp started smoking, any ideas?
I have never heard of that before. Try and take your radio out and look at the wires going into the radio. Your REM wire or remote wire should be connected to a red wire that says "12 volt not consistant" make sure your remote wire is hooked up to that. check your ground wire too becasue maybe you need to regrind a spot and make a new sorce. please keeps us updated on if it has worked or not.

Tags
amp , music , radio , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.