Sub power? Bad Ground? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sub power? Bad Ground?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Mattk11

First check your settings in your amp. Some have a hi/low input selector. If you are using RCA inputs it should be set to low, if you are using speaker inputs, it should be set to high. Next check your crossover points. The sub amp should be set to low pass, then set your cross over point up around 100-120 so you know your sub will register. If you hear it then turn it down slowly to about 80Hz where it should be.

Double check your polarity on your sub. If it is out of phase the gain can be turned all the way up but the bass will be non-existent. Experiment with switching the wires around and see if that helps.

Another idea. Check to be sure that your box is airtight. If not, you will lose bass.

That leads me to an additional thought. Is your box built to spec to match your woofer? Ie, if your woofer requires a box that is .55 cu ft, but your box is too small, the bass will suffer. If it is way too small it can be non-existent.

Mattk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11
First check your settings in your amp. Some have a hi/low input selector. If you are using RCA inputs it should be set to low, if you are using speaker inputs, it should be set to high. Next check your crossover points. The sub amp should be set to low pass, then set your cross over point up around 100-120 so you know your sub will register. If you hear it then turn it down slowly to about 80Hz where it should be. Double check your polarity on your sub. If it is out of phase the gain can be turned all the way up but the bass will be non-existent. Experiment with switching the wires around and see if that helps. Another idea. Check to be sure that your box is airtight. If not, you will lose bass. That leads me to an additional thought. Is your box built to spec to match your woofer? Ie, if your woofer requires a box that is .55 cu ft, but your box is too small, the bass will suffer. If it is way too small it can be non-existent.
Box is small but it's within the recommended range. Thanks for the other info. Don't have time to check all that tonight but I'll get to it. Update will come
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
Indy

Phase won't affect volume, at all. Box size and tuning will affect quality of sound but won't make a loud sub quiet unless it's majorly out of whack.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Mattk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Phase won't affect volume, at all. Box size and tuning will affect quality of sound but won't make a loud sub quiet unless it's majorly out of whack.
Weird, it sure effected the volume into Jeep when my sub polarity was backwards. In fact it was a considerable improvement when I got the polarity correct. I just had plus and minus reversed because my speaker wire was hard to see. Bass is considerably diminished if your sub is out of phase and especially if you have some frequencies that overlap with your mid-woofers.
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What gauge wiring are you using? Is it what the amp requires? Also check the settings on you read unit. Some units (especially alpine) have 2 sub settings,1 is based on overall volume and one is based on signal regardless of volume. You'll want the second type in the jeep.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
What gauge wiring are you using? Is it what the amp requires? Also check the settings on you read unit. Some units (especially alpine) have 2 sub settings,1 is based on overall volume and one is based on signal regardless of volume. You'll want the second type in the jeep.
Gauge is correct. Head unit has no 1 2 select. I've narrowed the problem to the sub amp
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaringmove
Gauge is correct. Head unit has no 1 2 select. I've narrowed the problem to the sub amp
I thought we narrowed it down to this a few posts ago. getcha a 500watt alpine vpower monoblock. I've had it on 2 type r 12s. Sounded great, have it hooked up in my moms Tahoe.
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #23
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez
I thought we narrowed it down to this a few posts ago. getcha a 500watt alpine vpower monoblock. I've had it on 2 type r 12s. Sounded great, have it hooked up in my moms Tahoe.
I'll definitely look it up. Thanks
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
Weird, it sure effected the volume into Jeep when my sub polarity was backwards. In fact it was a considerable improvement when I got the polarity correct. I just had plus and minus reversed because my speaker wire was hard to see. Bass is considerably diminished if your sub is out of phase and especially if you have some frequencies that overlap with your mid-woofers.
There isnt a correct though. Your subs swap polarity constantly and it will see the same amplitude on both sides. What youre describing is cancelation, different problem. Usually, and i say usually as there are no hard and fast rules, cancelation only becomes a real issue when youre running more than 1 speaker on the same channel. Even then location, direction etc will increase/decrease the effect. If you have 2 subs wired out of phase to each other there is a magical spot between them that is absolute silence (in theory). Same theory that noise cancelation systems use.

A 'decent' (read more expensive) amp will have a switch to swap polarity to change phasing. A 'good' (even more expensive) amp will have a dial that you can fine tune phasing. Each system is different and running 1 phase *may* provide more volume than the other. Its easy enough to experiment. But take the exact same 'quiet' phase system into a different environment and the whole game changes. Its more about that since the polarity itself doesnt matter.

I recently did my first system in a long time in my mustang. I use super high end (a long time ago and not really) amps that allow phase correction by swapping the wires around either way,volume is the same through the 1 sub. Im just happy my old school punch amps still work well, theyve been in storage for the last few cars.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #25
Mattk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
There isnt a correct though. Your subs swap polarity constantly and it will see the same amplitude on both sides. What youre describing is cancelation, different problem. Usually, and i say usually as there are no hard and fast rules, cancelation only becomes a real issue when youre running more than 1 speaker on the same channel. Even then location, direction etc will increase/decrease the effect. If you have 2 subs wired out of phase to each other there is a magical spot between them that is absolute silence (in theory). Same theory that noise cancelation systems use. A 'decent' (read more expensive) amp will have a switch to swap polarity to change phasing. A 'good' (even more expensive) amp will have a dial that you can fine tune phasing. Each system is different and running 1 phase *may* provide more volume than the other. Its easy enough to experiment. But take the exact same 'quiet' phase system into a different environment and the whole game changes. Its more about that since the polarity itself doesnt matter. I recently did my first system in a long time in my mustang. I use super high end (a long time ago and not really) amps that allow phase correction by swapping the wires around either way,volume is the same through the 1 sub. Im just happy my old school punch amps still work well, theyve been in storage for the last few cars.
Again strange. Strange on my end. I could see my sub moving in and out but could barely hear it. The phase selector in my head unit did nothing I don't have a phase switch in my amp. Swapping the wires around fixed the problem and the bass exploded out if my system. I must have had cancellation in its most perfect form.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Had you tried manipulating those wires prior? It could just have been a bad connection. Wouldn't that be a riot?!
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE="gily25"]Had you tried manipulating those wires prior? It could just have been a bad connection. Wouldn't that be a riot?![/QUOTE

Yes tried that

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.