Sub enclosure idea, need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sub enclosure idea, need opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-05-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
idcx3

Sub enclosure idea, need opinions

I am currently running a fasgate DVC power 12 mono bridged to a fasgate power 1000A2 amp..my enclosure is a 1.25 sealed Qlogic wedge style box = WAY to much power to the sub,lack of any deep base and on deep notes the sub makes a noise that sounds like its trying to detonate...this is all at the lowest gain settings

My solution,
Just got off ebay where i found another power 12 DVC for 150 My idea is to build a custom enclosure basically to the dimensions of the back cargo area ( i dotn have my back seat in because no one likes me )in this enclosure i am going to have 2 seperate spaces apx, 2 feet wide and 4 feet long ( however long the jeeps back cargo area is) the subs will be apx 1 foot away from the back of the seat firing directly in the back.

I had the idea of porting one of the enclosures and keeping the other enclosure sealed tight so i would get both the punch base and the deep rumble of a ported box any know if this idea would work?

Also, what would be the ideal way of connecting this system? both subs are DVC, so there are many ways to connect them...any help appreciated!

idcx3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
SirGCal

The specs for the Rockford Fosgate Power 1000a2:

250x2 @ 4 Ohm
500x2 @ 2 Ohm
1000x1 @ 4 Ohm

Now, from what I can find on the net, Rockford does not recomment running below 4 Ohms bridged on that amp although some people have reported 2 Ohms no problem, 1 Ohm detonation.

Now.. The problem. How is your single DVC wired?

Do you

1) have the pos & neg from the amp going only to one coil of the speaker? (VERY BAD!)
2) have the positive and neg from the amp going to both positive and negative coils? (Parallel)
3) have the amp pos to the coil 1 pos; the coil 1 neg to the coil 2 pos; the coil 2 neg to the amp neg (Series)

If your speakers are 2 Ohms per coil the following will result.
1) 2 Ohm load. (however will blow the speaker easily since one coil is not powered)
2) 1 Ohm load. (Running to the amp bridged, the amp is in ganger and putting out way too much power, likely around 3000w potential at 1 Ohm)
3) 4 Ohm load. (Running the amp at recommended bridge.)

If the speaker has 4 Ohm coils, then the following will result.
1) 4 Ohm load. (Still bad. Never run only one coil of a DVC)
2) 2 Ohm load. (likely overpowering for your sub still showing 2000W to the speaker)
3) 8 Ohm load. (Running the amp at 500W, likely within the power range of the sub. Should sound pretty good)

Now for more info:

if the new speaker isn't exactly the same as the old one, I wouldn't put them together. They would likely sound mushy together.

Porting one and sealing the other is a great idea for good sound, however, never do this on the same amp. The speakers respond different and will sound very muddy together like this most often.

Running the amp at minimum gain is not a great idea. Try to keep it at least above 1/4. This allows the amp to actually function. Running at minimum gain doesn't let the amp work and it is most likely clipping. (sounding like the speaker is going to pop)

As far as how I'd run it? It ALLL depends on:
- what the sub are specifically
- what components are backing the system up
- what power the components have
- how many components there are (other speakers)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.