Sub decision - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sub decision

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Anachron474

Sub decision

I planned on getting one 10" sub (rockford fosgate punch stage 1, 200W). However I was going to put it in a Bestop Insta-trunk, which is 11" high by 11" deep. I know people have put subs in those trunks, but maybe not 10s? 11x11 seems too tight for the box.

Two 8" subs would fit in for sure, but would take up most of the trunk. Also, if I'm looking for quality and not loudness, would one 10" 200W sound better than two 150W 8s?

Anachron474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
omnipseudo

As far as quality..it depends on what type you're talking about. SQ (sound quality) will be better with 2 8s. They will be more punchy, tight and faster response as the voice coils work faster. A 10 will provide with deeper response, but not as tight.

I have 2 10" kicker CVrs in the back of my TJ, and they are more than enough. With the top off and going 75 down the highway, the bass is still very loud, and with the hardtop on, ive had to reinforce my windows lol. Not too sure about the instatrunk and how theyll sound through that though...maybe someone with more expereince there can tell ya
Unread 07-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
SirGCal

Omni is dead on...

All things considered... The 8" will be better in SQ but the 10" could have more overall potential...

And no, the 11x11 box would be ok for a 10" sub... The opening will just be aorund 9.25" with 10" at the outside diameter leaving you 1/2" more room top and bottom. No problem. But I'd also go for down-firing anyhow making that even easier...

The biggest thing to worry about is internal volume. Also, use 5/8" MDF or thicker when making your boxes.

If you vent the trunk at the speaker area the trunk will have little to no impact on sound.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Anachron474

thanks guys, I went with the two 8s and will be installing everything soon
Anachron474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.