Sub Build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sub Build.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sub Build.

Took a trip to lowes today to buy some MDF, bondo, wood glue, ect ect.

Gonna start building a new sub box to replace my old POS in the back of the TJ. This is gonna house a single 12" Image Dynamic IDQ sub, running off a Alpine PDX 1.600.

I'm looking for previous build ideas. What did you build? Dimensions and measurements? Ect ect. Thanks

Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look at www.just4effect.com for your ideas. He's building a box for my Alpine right now.
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeXJ View Post
Look at www.just4effect.com for your ideas. He's building a box for my Alpine right now.
I've seen his stuff. It's okay, over priced, but I'd rather build my own. Not wanting to give up the whole "trunk" area.
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i am building my own version of this http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_320.htm

ridiculously overpriced which is why im going to build my own version of it, i like it because if you lock your tailgate it would be "harder" for someone to take it. It's also hidden pretty good for wandering eyes, down firing design (best for open top driving)
ticconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Overpriced? Not really. Highest quality you can get.

And as for it taking up the whole trunk area, those are the trunk style enclosures. He makes single enclosures that sit on the right hand side of the cargo area.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573538
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

the dimensions will be diferent for every sub. they all need different volumes of air.

and downfiring is the best option for a topless wrangler.

and what in the world do you need bondo for?
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spife7980 View Post
and what in the world do you need bondo for?
layer bondo, layer fiberglass, layer bondo...sand, paint = waterproof and nice finish
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeXJ View Post
Overpriced? Not really. Highest quality you can get.

And as for it taking up the whole trunk area, those are the trunk style enclosures. He makes single enclosures that sit on the right hand side of the cargo area.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573538
$170.00 plus shipping for a single 12" box is pretty pricey. Granted, everyone has to make money, to each his own.

I'm not here to argue. Just looking for ideas on who others have built. I'll be between .65 and 1.00 cu. ft.
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my just4effect.com box because sure I could buy mdf, carpet, a terminal cup, rhinoliner, and make my own but it would just be a pain in the butt trying to figure out all the angles to make it fit snug. Ron does and awesome job. Not to mention the price of my box was $175 and that was shipped door to door. It is well worth the money, if I saw it in person, I easily would have been willing to pay more.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

Here is mine that I made. Looks like part of the console and it fires down so no one knows it is there. It is a 10 but a 12 would fit. hope it helps
cj-dash-006.jpg   cj-dash-007.jpg   cj-dash-002.jpg  
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
layer bondo, layer fiberglass, layer bondo...sand, paint = waterproof and nice finish
what are you trying to achieve by fiberglassing a box? if your going to use a square-ish design like the ones listed so far straight up mdf is a better plan. fiberglass is weak over flat areas as it flexes too much while mdf is much more rigid for MUCH less money.

and usually when people say bondo they mean body filler. you mean bondo brand resin. if you are intent on glassing a box look into a local boat store or something and get some good resin. the bondo brand has a quick dry formula or something and it sets up very fast giving you a limited work time.
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spife7980 View Post
what are you trying to achieve by fiberglassing a box? if your going to use a square-ish design like the ones listed so far straight up mdf is a better plan. fiberglass is weak over flat areas as it flexes too much while mdf is much more rigid for MUCH less money.

and usually when people say bondo they mean body filler. you mean bondo brand resin. if you are intent on glassing a box look into a local boat store or something and get some good resin. the bondo brand has a quick dry formula or something and it sets up very fast giving you a limited work time.
/sigh...thanks not my first rodeo with bondo/glass work. Appericate the effort though.
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

idk. just letting you know. trying to be helpful. sorry

/steps out of thread
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
/sigh...thanks not my first rodeo with bondo/glass work. Appericate the effort though.
He/We are only trying to give you suggestions which you asked for. For someone with so much experience with bondo/glass work you would think they could design a simple box for a sub.
ticconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticconi View Post
He/We are only trying to give you suggestions which you asked for. For someone with so much experience with bondo/glass work you would think they could design a simple box for a sub.
Thanks...

Back on topic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.