Sub amp. Anything better for under $100? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sub amp. Anything better for under $100?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sub amp. Anything better for under $100?

Looking for some feedback.
I recently upgraded my sub from an old JL w3 10" to an alpone type R 10". My amp is an alpine v12 mrv-100m, puts out 150-200w rms at 2ohms (200@14.4v). The old jl bumped pretty good but the type R is underpowered, rated at 600w rms.

Is there any amp I could get for say $75-$100 that would be better than the little alpine I have? Something 400-600w at 2ohms. I see Boss and Pyle amp in that price range. But I don't really want to ditch my alpine for flea market junk.

Thanks

jbab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
CrutchfieldMark
2004 WJ 

Try looking at one of our Sound Ordnance amps. This one is a little over your price range but really jumps up the power and you get a 3 year warranty. Worth a look. http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rJPLc11....html?tp=35834
CrutchfieldMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
ShowroomShine
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You need to look at Craigslist for used deals. DO NOT buy Boss or Pyle, you will get what you pay for.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

if i were you, i would look for a used amp on craigslist that has roughly 800-1000w of power, and dual channel. for your current sub, only use one channel. this will give you the option to add another sub later on.

used amps in the 800-1000w range usually run $100-150 on my local craigslist. these are usually alpine or sony amps.

if you dont know what i mean by "dual channel", its time to do some reading.
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Swacos_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Audio pipe ap10001d

Prob best your goona find for the price new. I seen on EBay for 130 something. I'm running the 18001d. Main reason I run it is because if something happened to it, it wouldn't hurt so bad but still is a good amp. that is there ap line.

Big 3 [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/big-3-a-1231543/[/url]
Swacos_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Used gear would be a great option, if I could find a deal. But good god, the prices on CL and fleabay for used amps! How the heck do you find a deal? Do people really think this crap is a deal?
Local CL listing here. MTX JH600 $125 used. Or 134.95 for the same amp as a refurb from techtronics with free shipping a return policy and warranty.
Jl audio 500/1 On local CL, used 4 years old $250, new on sonicelectonix $199, shipped free 1y warranty.
Maybe a good deal, jl 600/1 $200 used on CL. 299 new.... But personally I can see paying that for used electronics!
If its 200 new 175 used isn't a deal... I'd think 100 or less would be fair and 60-70 or less a good deal. Am I just way out of line?

As for dual channel amps. I don't think I need or could use one. Can you wire a 2chnl amp to a dual 4ohm VC sub to run at 2 ohms. Or in some set up that would work? I have no plans to add a second sub, no room for it in my TJ.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You could just put each channel to one voice coil.....

Apart from that here's a Dual 400x1 RMS 1000x1 Max @2ohms which would definitely be a step up, it's $110. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=267-5011 It's not quite got the oomph the sub wants, but it's double what you've got with clean looks close to your budget.

I'm gonna echo the others to keep an eye on craigslist for it. I've bought a LOT of gear over craigslist and been very happy with it. Total cost of my 61' 1080p tv + nice sony 7.1 receiver, all 7 speakers and blu-ray player? 400 bucks. All in like-new condition. If you're willing to wait a couple weeks for the right person who either needs the cash or doesn't know what they have to post it up you can get some GREAT deals. I don't like ebay because you can't make them show you it works before you pay, Pawn shops usually have the available gear to demo amps before you buy, and you can get some pretty decent used gear at them if you're willing to stop few several to find the right thing.
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna make a pawn shop run this week too and see what I can turn up. I'm totaly open to used gear. But it's got to be a good deal. Any input on what to look for and what is fair to pay is very welcome.
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Stick to name brands (kicker, kenwood, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, stuff like that. Cheap brands like boss and lanzar tend to overrate their amps' output), anything in that power range is going to be 200+ new, so if you can pick it up around 100 you're doing well. Don't read the wattages off of the amp, they always plaster the max all over it. There's almost always a model number so keep a smart-phone handy for googling. Make them test it or get a written guarantee signed by the guy who checks you out that you can return it if it doesn't work. Pawn shops don't have the normal set of guarantees you get from traditional stores.
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look around for a refurbished infinity amp. They usually run around 600 watts rms at 2 ohm and you can pick them up around $100. I used to run an infinity 611a with my type r. I switched to a soundstream audio stealth that puts out less watts than the infinity but in a much smaller footprint. For it on eBay for about $120. As far as small amps on a budget it's been reliable enough. Agree with others a boss or Pyle amp would only be a place keeper and you just be wasting your money, since your current amp could be that place keeper.

Tags
amp , amplifier , audio , sub woofer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.