Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Sub

513 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SirGCal 
#1 ·
undefinedHas anyone put a 8" JL sub to replace the center stock sub on a 04 sport with the 7 speaker setup. i was wondering if it was alot of work to do it?

#2 ·
You have to build a custom box to hold the sub and have enough internal volume for the sub to function correctly and still let the e-break function correctly. It takes a bit of wood work and/or fiberglass work but it can be done. Difficulty entirely depends on your skill level with the materials.

Here's an example: Doug's Console Job.

#3 ·
Recommended setup?

Which setup do you recommend?

I was going to replace the factory speakers with 5 1/4 (F) and 6 1/2 (R). Do you recommend mounting in factory locations or going with pods? What about seperate tweeter for the fronts? Mount them somewhere else?

In regards to the factory sub, can it be used with an aftermarket system? I would replace the HU and pick up a 75W or 45W RMS x4 amp for the four speakers. Does the factory sub sufficiently fill with some low end base? Should I replace and the center console or do what you did with the rear seat?

Do you sell the rear seat sub?

What about amp mounts? under the front seats?

thank you. There should really be a sticky thread with all these FAQs.

#4 ·
WranglerWanted said:
Which setup do you recommend?

I was going to replace the factory speakers with 5 1/4 (F) and 6 1/2 (R). Do you recommend mounting in factory locations or going with pods? What about seperate tweeter for the fronts? Mount them somewhere else?
Seporates aren't necessary in the noisy environment of a Jeep Wrangler. They can add a touch of high-end support but they are easily added later and I wouldn't focus on them right now.

WranglerWanted said:
In regards to the factory sub, can it be used with an aftermarket system?
Yes, but it's output is very limited and it won't keep up with a moderately updated system.

WranglerWanted said:
I would replace the HU and pick up a 75W or 45W RMS x4 amp for the four speakers.
As long as the speakers can take the power, sounds good.

WranglerWanted said:
Does the factory sub sufficiently fill with some low end base? Should I replace and the center console or do what you did with the rear seat?
Either is a good option. It depends on your skill level and/or cost limit. I like the in-seat becuase it uses ZERO internal storage room. You still have the console and trunk for putting things... But a good console or down-firing behind rear seat works very well also.

WranglerWanted said:
Do you sell the rear seat sub?
Not openly. I have sold a few but I don't do it by habit. They are also usually pretty expensive for ME to build one for someone. I do, however, have the full builders schematics for any compitent carpenter to build it using 5/8" MDF online.

WranglerWanted said:
What about amp mounts? under the front seats?
Those were custom designed off of 'L' brackets and drawer sliders purchased from Home Depot.

WranglerWanted said:
thank you. There should really be a sticky thread with all these FAQs.
I've been told that alot but I'm not a moderator and honestly, a small thread like this isn't warranted a sticky. What I should do is put together a compilation of all the common options and what not.. but I don't have the time.... right now..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.