Stock TJ speaker sizes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stock TJ speaker sizes

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Dragonmaster

Stock TJ speaker sizes (need to know ASAP)

what are the stock speaker sizes in an '02 TJ? Don't want to go outside and measure, it's -36 plus winchill down to -52 right now, and I've never really looked at them.

Thanks,

Edit: Search was useless, could I fit a 6.5" speaker 1.58" deep in the sound bar?

Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP

Last edited by Dragonmaster; 01-13-2005 at 12:15 AM..
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The fronts are 4x6 but they are not a standard 4x6 size so you can't just install regular 4x6 speakers there. I don't have the link handy but there is an adapter plate you can install there that converts it to take a better quality round coaxial speaker.

The speaker bar comes with 5.5" speakers but 6.5" speakers can be installed without any modifications. Avoid the 'S' style 6.5" speakers which are deeper due to a bigger magnet, they won't fit into the speaker bar.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #3
Dragonmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The fronts are 4x6 but they are not a standard 4x6 size so you can't just install regular 4x6 speakers there. I don't have the link handy but there is an adapter plate you can install there that converts it to take a better quality round coaxial speaker.

The speaker bar comes with 5.5" speakers but 6.5" speakers can be installed without any modifications. Avoid the 'S' style 6.5" speakers which are deeper due to a bigger magnet, they won't fit into the speaker bar.
What do you mean by S style? Is it listed in the product description somewhere, or is it just a generic term to describe a larger magnet? Please inform.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dragonmaster; 01-13-2005 at 12:37 AM..
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
jasonX

Go to www.crutchfield.com and click on "What fits my car?" I've had really good experiences using Crutchfield; the speakers will come with all the adapters, installation instructions, etc...

P.S. It's around 80 degrees here in south Texas
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
dude960

Dragon:

I was also able to mount a 6.5" speaker in my sound bar. The sound difference between a 5.25" and a 6.5" is huge, I strongly recommend going that route.

With respect to the s type question, my experince shows that what you will find from most manufacturers is 2 or 3 types of 6.5" speakes. Get the ones with the lower power handling (and price tag) these are the ones that have a smaller magnet and are meant to be hooked directly to head units or modest amplifiers. The more expensive and larger magnet speakers are for high power applications.

The infinity line is a good representation of this and is what I have in my TJ.

Hope this helps
dude960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
Dragonmaster

Sweet, the 6.5's I got free with the purchase of my deck (some decent pioneers) only have an 1 5/8" mounting depth and the "what fit's my car" thing on crutchfield has some witha mount depth of 2 1/8", so they should work. Hopefully will have new MP3 deck and speakers installed in a week after they arrive.
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
Txnjeep

I got my 4x6 polk MOMO's and the 5 1/4 polk MOMO's . The 4x6 cam with a mounting bracket and wiring harness. The 5 1/4 came with wiring harness but i had to get some male connectors to make the harness fit from radio shack. Got them from crutchfield, and everything was free except the speakers of course . All in all took about 45 min to install since all i have is a multi tip screwdriver, small wire cutter dykes and small pliers. More money in jeep and less in tools ..BAH

good luck
[URL=http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade/member_view.asp?id=113338]View My Special Ops Brigade Page[/URL]
Txnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.