Stock stereo vs afternarket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stock stereo vs afternarket

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stock stereo vs afternarket

My Tj doesn't have a radio. I can buy a stock unit for 20 bucks or get a nice head unit for 50-90 bucks. I do appreciate good, loud music with the top off And have polk/Sony speakers in the jeep. Will the stock unit be a significant let down compared to a nicer one?

rippinlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably should have put this in the electronics thread. Oops
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And I'd use the cassette for my iPod. I do that in my xj
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just one note I want to put out there.
Stay away from those with the stupid removable face plate unless you're in a high-theft area. Our Jeeps are dusty, the electrical connections on the back of the face plate don't like dust or vibration. I can't get the buttons on mine to work the way they should consistently. Sometimes while driving the damned face plate just turns off or scrambles itself, resetting the pins on the back fixes it.

One minute the volume button changes volume, next it's changing the station, next it's changing the settings. It's not broken, just frustrating.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer a good "Head Unit" when cruising the streets at 2am.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
Just one note I want to put out there.
Stay away from those with the stupid removable face plate unless you're in a high-theft area. Our Jeeps are dusty, the electrical connections on the back of the face plate don't like dust or vibration. I can't get the buttons on mine to work the way they should consistently. Sometimes while driving the damned face plate just turns off or scrambles itself, resetting the pins on the back fixes it.

One minute the volume button changes volume, next it's changing the station, next it's changing the settings. It's not broken, just frustrating.
I am dealing with that right now with my removeable face plate. Though, I do need to have one out here.

And, I would go with a new head unit. Easy to install, and more features then the stock unit. Mine is a sony, and I can plug my classic Ipod right into the stereo itself and control it through the stereo.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed a $130 pioneer a couple years ago with a USB plug on the face. I'll never install a stereo again without something like this. I must have a few hundred songs in different directories that has me never listening to the same song on any given day.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have an alpine head unit which I've had a few yrs now. ..its gotten pretty wet more than once. ..I've removed the face plate almost every single time I've gotten out of the jeep & its still holding up with NO issues. ..the writing on some of the buttons is mostly rubbed off...but I had my doors off for September-April a yr or 2 in a row when I was at school & all the dirt getting in didn't help that.

As for sound, I have stock speakers & the sound quality was greatly improved over my stock radio.

I say get one with a removable face plate; just get a quality one. I've had my jeep "broken into" 5 or 6 times in the last 2 or 3 yrs...I like having the removable face plate

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I need the removable faceplate. No getting around that. I think I'll stray from the stock unit, although $20 dollars sounds so nice
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Kenwood Excelon should be here today and I can't wait to get that baby installed. The ability to hook up my iPhone or any other USB device to play music off of is totally worth it. The specific one I ordered has both a front and rear USB connection. I plan to route the rear cable into my glove box and keep an external hard drive in there with a library of music.

I'm also anxious to see how much of a better quality of sound it puts out.
Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
...I plan to route the rear cable into my glove box and keep an external hard drive in there with a library of music.
You may want to stick with a solid state drive.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
You may want to stick with a solid state drive.
Ya good point. I'll probably just use a USB thumb stick, 32 gb for $20 would work out great.
Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.