Stock Speaker assistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stock Speaker assistance

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
dmbrown26
2004 WJ 

WJ New HU - New Speakers are Horrible

I just bought an 04 Freedom Edition, first Jeep and I love it! I originally bought it to drive for 14 months and then give to my son who will be 16 by then, but I'm seriously considering keeping it, or getting a newer one after giving him this one

I just replaced the HU with a JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS and it sounded pretty good, but the stock speakers sounded worn, I do not have the Infinity amp.

I had a pair of Kenwood speakers, I think they were 1664 somethings, and put them in. Now this thing sounds awful No Bass at all and the dash speakers sound mush louder than before.

I've searched thru and read as much as possible on JeepForum and a few other sites. The consensus is that the dash speakers are not just tweeters, but I'm not sure about that. I'm considering disconnecting them to see if the sound improves but I'm betting I need to pull these Kenwoods, at least from the front, and get some deeper 6x9s.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I've heard some people recommending Infinity Reference, Rockford Fosgate, Polk Audio, and I think I saw a JBL. Problem is I think most people are using the built in amp or have an aftermarket amp. I do not.

Can anyone recommend a good 6x9 speaker for the front that will run off my JVC that will fill in the bass?

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, I could not find it. I'm 43, have 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a hermit crab. I'm no audiophile as you can tell, but what I have now is horrible and I know if I go to a Best Buy, etc and ask, I may not get the best advice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

dmbrown26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did a quick look over of the JVC unit you purchased and it looks like a decent player. 4.8volt preouts are nice but useless if you're not going to run an external amp. FYI, Alpine for a mere $130 or so has a 45 watt x 4 RMS universal Power Pack that will really bring most speakers to life. Also I recommend Focal Speakers. You might find a good deal on the Focal CVX Polyglass 6x9's, they are discontinued due to their new Performance series but sound excellent. Nice neutral sound and push out quite a bit of bass. With a matching set of CVX Polyglass speakers in the rear (also discontinued but findable online) and that Alpine Power Pack you will have one rocking stereo all for under $450 matched with that JVC you purchased. Also in time if you decide you could add a loaded subwoofer and have a nice, well rounded system that will leave you wanting to buy your son a different Jeep.

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your new radio is likely 12-15 WPer channel RMS. about the same as stock. If you want to use this withour an amp look for new speakers with high sensitivity(>88). The higher the better the sound.
I put 4-way 5.25 in the front and 3-way 6.5 in the sound pods and they are better than stock. Not a screaming system but better.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You are not going to get bass from a mid. You need to add a sub if you want bass.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.