Stereo wire colors for ZJ here! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stereo wire colors for ZJ here!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stereo wire colors for ZJ here!

So I was bored today and figured I'd mock something up in photoshop for the ZJ owners who want to replace their factory headunit. Heres what each wire does, in color! I noticed the colors in the ZJ are slightly divergant from the sticky at the top of this forum but trust me, I have tested these and replaced my headunit, these are correct Good resource, should be bookmarked or saved somewhere. And btw, ground is a separate connector that clips onto the radio's chasses. The grey wires look like brown to some people, I thought they looked mostly grey with a little bit or brown tint to them.Take note that the blue wire in the harness IS NOT the amp activate wire. The green w/ red stripe, however, is the amp activate wire. And, these wires carry line level output to the amp underneath the rear seat, they do not go straight to the speakers so do not worry if your speakers have different color wires attached to them. PM or post here with any questions

This was done from a 97 ZJ with the factory Infinity Audio system.

I'll add another one for the amp later, but I dont feel like doing another one of these with like twice the wires just yet

(and yes I am aware I put three e's in green)

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

** NOTE, I just figured out what the mute wire does. The mute wire is intended to allow mopar accessories control over the stereo. For example, the mopar uconnect bluetooth handsfree kit will come with a pin that you insert into the mute position on the connector. When a call is received, it will send a signal through the mute wire to pause your current audio

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
So I was bored today and figured I'd mock something up in photoshop for the ZJ owners who want to replace their factory headunit. Heres what each wire does, in color! I noticed the colors in the ZJ are slightly divergant from the sticky at the top of this forum but trust me, I have tested these and replaced my headunit, these are correct Good resource, should be bookmarked or saved somewhere. And btw, ground is a separate connector that clips onto the radio's chasses. The grey wires look like brown to some people, I thought they looked mostly grey with a little bit or brown tint to them.Take note that the blue wire in the harness IS NOT the amp activate wire. The green w/ red stripe, however, is the amp activate wire. And, these wires carry line level output to the amp underneath the rear seat, they do not go straight to the speakers so do not worry if your speakers have different color wires attached to them. PM or post here with any questions

This was done from a 97 ZJ with the factory Infinity Audio system.

I'll add another one for the amp later, but I dont feel like doing another one of these with like twice the wires just yet

(and yes I am aware I put three e's in green)

Unread 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

You just saved my bacon. Thank You. My stereo sounds like an old 1960 Dart center speaker. I found a blue wire in the drivers side wire harness disconnected now all I have to do is prove it is the negative wire to the door speaker if it is I don't have to take apart my doors to figure out what is going on(-;
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

you have saved me as well, the note with remote amp has gotten me

Upcoming Projects: Digital Camo Paint Job mod , 4" Superlift, 33" Tires, ARB Bumber, Tire Mount on Hitch

Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80

R.I.P
1998 ZJ 5.9L Limited - Platinum
1997 ZJ 5.2L V8 - Mud Flooded the Engine - Donor Jeep now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I named mine Jezebel because she used to be the most powerful thing in the world, but now shes just an old, dirty ***** whose been around the block a few times.
AcidAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

thank you very much. I would have had a very frustrating morning without this.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.