Stereo getting no power. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stereo getting no power.

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
jayjitsu

Stereo getting no power.

I'm trying to install a new pioneer head unit to replace my old stock one in my 1997 TJ. Today I went out to replace it after splicing the wires for the wiring harness and doing all the prep work, and found out the stereo still would not work. I was hoping that the reason my old stock stereo did not work was because of the head unit itself, but I was not so lucky. I was hoping you guys could help me out with a few questions that would help me troubleshoot.

The first question I have is why the head unit is not getting any power. My Jeep has a host of electrical problems (like having to punch the steering wheel for the turn signals and wipers to work). I changed the fuse and still no help. Any ideas on why this is?

Secondly, on the wiring harness that I purchased from Wal-mart has three adapter things. One large gray one, one smaller gray one, and one small black one. Most of the wires seem to come out of the large gray one, but it does not connect anywhere. The smaller gray and black ones both have connectors, does anyone have any idea why this would be or if it's even a problem?

Lastly, the black wire that comes out of the plug that goes into the back of the stock head unit goes connects somewhere else than where all the other wires go. It seems to go through the firewall behind the top left corner of the passenger air bag. Does anyone know why this is/where it goes to/ and if I have to connect anything in the same spot from the after market head unit?

Thanks a ton!

jayjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Not sure on the first one. Check the yellow and red wires where they connect to the new radio. Yellow should be constant positive, Red should only be positive with the key on.

Second,
The plug is made to fit many vehicles. Just plug in the ones that match your Jeep. My 97 Grand sounds the same as yours. I only used the 2 smaller plugs, gray and black.

Third,
I think you mean the black wire that has a female spade connector on it that was originally connected to the factory radios chassis? If so that's your ground wire. You need to splice it to the black wire on your new harness. The connector on the black wire should look almost like this:

If the ground is not hooked up that would be the first thing I would try. No ground=no power.
This may also help. Of the two grounds shown, only one should be used on your jeep.

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
jayjitsu

I found out through another post that the ground was indeed not connected, but the black wire actually comes out of the plug that all the wires come out of (the one that attaches to the rear of the factory head unit). I have a longer black wire that i just connected to the matching black wire of the wiring harness, which i believe was a mistake. I found out i might have to connect this to the ground on the jeep, likely the easiest place would be where the current one is connected.
jayjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
power , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.