Steering Wheel Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Steering Wheel Upgrade

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
schobbs
2009 WK 

Steering Wheel Upgrade

Sorry if this may be common knowledge/dumb question. But my wife and I recently purchased a '09 WK and it has the RER Nav unit in it. When looking at Jeeps we test drove a '11 Liberty with Nav and we both much preferred the steering wheel controls on it. If I was able to find a steering wheel off a '11 Liberty would it be as simple as swapping them out and it all working? I've read some on the Patriot Forum (another vehicle we test drove that has the same controls as the Liberty) and they are able to add the buttons for VR and UConnect to their steering wheels just by plugging them since Jeep is already wired for them. Wasn't sure if that was the same in my case as well if I had the proper steering wheel.

schobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You'll have to make sure (prob by calling the dealer) that the stereo you have will work with SWC and if it will your going to need to get the harness for it as well that runs from the column to the stereo.
As for the Uconnect...just because the stereo has the phone emblem on it does not mean the system is installed. If you can go through the setup menu and get to the BT setup then you may be in luck. If it does not have it I have heard that the control module is close to 400 bucks. I had to look into a new mic for a factory BT in a Ram pickup...186 bucks for just the mic!
Like I said your prob going to have to make a call to the dealer with the VIN and see if they can tell if your WK is pre wired from the factory or not. Might be more headache and hassle to install it than it's worth if it's not.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
schobbs
2009 WK 

My Jeep is already wired for BT, I guess I should word my question differently.

If I were to take this steering wheel out

and put this one in

would it be plug and play for the audio/bt/etc. I know on the Patriots (and I assume Liberty since it has the same steering wheel) that not all of the steering wheels have the button for VR and Uconnect but they can buy them for ~$30, plug it into their steering wheel and they work. No extra wiring needed.
schobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.