Steering Column Electrical connection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Steering Column Electrical connection

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
jeledgerwood
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Steering Column Electrical connection

I recently bought a 99 TJ with a 6 cyclinder, 5-speed. The airbag trouble light is lit all the time, the horn & cruise control don't work. I took the airbag off thinking that an electrical connector was unplugged, but all looked connected. There are no blown fuses. I still think it is something in the steering column. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

jeledgerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Better be very careful removing air bags. That goes off in your face while working it can kill you. As for the problem its probably the plate between the wheel and column its called the clock spring.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

1999 JEEP WRANGLER CLOCKSPRING MOPAR W/ CRUISE Control on eBay!
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
jeledgerwood
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I followed procedure when removing the airbag, I saw the clock spring, but all the connections looked good. How does it go bad? Just not sure on how it works. Can you explain?
Unread 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Im not really sure of exactly how it works either. They just wear out or they can be damaged while installing a lift or steering box. People dont think and they spin the wheel while the box is free. You cant just spin the wheel or you will damage the clock spring. That may very well be what happened to yours.
Unread 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
jeledgerwood
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I'll add a post if that fixes it. Thanks again.
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Myjeepdestroys

Replace the clockspring yet?
Myjeepdestroys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag , cruise control , electrical , horn

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.