Stealth HEI Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Stealth HEI Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stealth HEI Problems

So my duralast ignition control module burned out in the middle of death valley and took my coil with it. I decided it was time to upgrade instead of buy the same crap that left me stranded. I ordered a HEI distributor from summitracing and then found out it was not California legal. Unfortunately the 300$ Davis Unified distributor is not CA legal either.

Then I heard about stealth HEI and bought a Borg Warner HEI module for a 1979 Impala just like internet people said to, and wired it up according to the diagrams. I have it grounded well.

Now when i try to start the jeep i get a little bit of evidence of it trying to spark and then it floods. I have played with timing, made sure i have no resistor wire between power and the module and the coil. I have tried swapping the purple and orange wires like someone suggested.

I have a 1990 YJ with a Howell EFI kit installed. Almost every part has broken and been replaced, so nothing is old and janky.

At this point I am considering finding the most expensive duraspark module and calling stealth HEI a fail. The jeep runs fine with a standard ignition module.

Any other ideas or tests i should try?

rat9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Other question

If i have a stock coil and a borg warner ignition module but no resistor wire, is this going to burn something up? How much resistance should I add in if this is not a good plan... 1 Ohm?

Maybe this is why my crappy duralast module died in the first place.
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i have replaced the BWD HEI module with a BWD Select HEI module and now i can idle when the timing is near -5. Any throttle and it dies. I have measured the voltage at the positive terminal when it idles and it is >12V so i think my wiring is fine.

Why does my timing have to be off so far and why is it running so rough?
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat9 View Post
So my duralast ignition control module burned out in the middle of death valley and took my coil with it. I decided it was time to upgrade instead of buy the same crap that left me stranded. I ordered a HEI distributor from summitracing and then found out it was not California legal. Unfortunately the 300$ Davis Unified distributor is not CA legal either.
If it's CA. Smog legal you are looking for,
For around $130-$160 you can get a MSD 6 series module that IS CA. LEGAL to run with your factory distributor and coil.

Also, MSD has the cap, adapter, rotor & plug wires that are CA. legal for the large cap/rotor upgrade.

--------------------

If you want to go low budget,

Gut the module that failed, Spend $20-$25 on a GM style HEI module and reuse the factory connectors so the GM module isn't noticed by inspectors.
(The 'Stealth' part is hiding the HEI module in the case of the Jeep/Motorcraft module.)

Quote:
Then I heard about stealth HEI and bought a Borg Warner HEI module for a 1979 Impala just like internet people said to, and wired it up according to the diagrams. I have it grounded well.
Depends on which 'Internet People' you listen to!

Try here,
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/HEI01.html

Quote:
Now when i try to start the jeep i get a little bit of evidence of it trying to spark and then it floods. I have played with timing, made sure i have no resistor wire between power and the module and the coil. I have tried swapping the purple and orange wires like someone suggested.
Unless you manually took the resistor wire out of the harness, it's still there, and all factory Jeep/Motorcraft ignitions have one.

Quote:
I have a 1990 YJ with a Howell EFI kit installed. Almost every part has broken and been replaced, so nothing is old and janky.
Howell EFI kits normally run better with the 7 Pin GM style HEI module instead of the 4 pin early (Carb type) modules.

Quote:
At this point I am considering finding the most expensive duraspark module and calling stealth HEI a fail. The jeep runs fine with a standard ignition module.

Any other ideas or tests i should try?
Expensive doesn't mean 'Strong'.
Most of these replacements are made in 'China' or somewhere equally backwards, and quality control doesn't exist.

Your hard earned dollars would be better spent with MSD module and tach adapter/filter to the Howell unit.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for responding! Yesterday I ordered the MSD 6A module, and I have placed orders for the Ford Cap, the ford adapter, rotor, cables, and a blaster 2 coil. The MSD stuff has CARB numbers, but are the ford parts going to get me in trouble with smog on a jeep?

Most of the wiring harness was home-made so i think the resistor wire was removed long ago. What is this tach adapter thing you mention? Is that this: http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-8920-Magnetic-Tachometer/dp/B00029JMLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303339219&sr=8-1 ?
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Side note

You are right about more expensive not being stronger. The Borg Warner module and duralast module are the SAME price but the duralast feels about half as heavy. Also the pcb inside it is literally 1 square inch, and i didn't have to cook the potting, it just easily came out with a little prying.

Tags
hei , ignition , module , spark , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.