Starting to hate jeeps :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Starting to hate jeeps :(

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
RazeRogers

Starting to hate jeeps :(

Okay, today i was driving my 2007 jeep wrangler x unlimited...everything seems fine...i press the gas in and nothing happens. It would kick in but then again when i push the gas..no go...so i stopped it at the post office and ran in real quick grabbed my mail ..came back jumped in, worried of course, start it up and it barely cranks and i decide to drive it home. Get home...debating if its a fuel pump or maybe just water in the gas...then decide to go get some heet to put in it. Jump in to start it back up and then nothing. i try again and again still nothing. so i angerily get out of my jeep go inside toss all my stuff at the wall, mostly because i JUST bought it a month ago. Look online with no real help that i can find with the situation...decide to charge the battery...and boom works. i drive it to get gas and some heet, but this time when i press the gas, its got go..and i just come home thinking maybe it was just water in the gas, but still kinda not sure....JUST NOW decided i was hungry and was going to go get something. Hop in my jeep and then no start AGAIN. its pouring rain so i figured ill just wait til tomorrow to charge the battery. I come back in and read up more on the 2007 jeeps and find nothing but electrical probs and now I am really debating keeping it...Any ideas? or suggestions...what does it sound like to you all? I really need this jeep to work because i dont have a job at the moment so i cant just get another...plus not much of money at the moment...

RazeRogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well did you buy it as is or with a 30 day or 90 day warranty?

Any noises at all when you turn the key? Lights work?

Easy checks. Clean and tighten the power and all grounds (grounds on the battery on the alternator and on the engin and chassis). Drive over to Oreillys or AZ and have them load test your battery and alternator.
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

How old is your battery? If it's the original battery, then it's possibly 4 years old. The newer JKs have a bunch of computers running the Jeep, so if your battery is low, you'll have problems.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
RubiBlack04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A good excuse to buy an Optima Redtop battery I wish my battery would die so my wife would 'let' me have one
RubiBlack04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

its ~4 years old now so "just bought it" doesnt mean stuff can't happen. if it barely cranked then my first thought is battery (4 years old is an old battery) or the alternator. if it has problems while running then im leaning toward the alternator unless the battery is really far gone. like it has been said and will be said, there are other things that are easy checks, but these are certainly worth checking.
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Brother, you think you have problems? Try a 21 year old Wrangler.

But seriously, since charging the battery seemed to help I'd start there. Have the battery and alternator load tested to make sure those are in good working order. Like already mentioned, modern vehicles are highly computerized. Low voltage/current will wreak havoc and may make the vehicle act like it is possessed. Also make sure the battery cables/grounds are tight and clean. Start with that and see what it does for you.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Battery man!!! Charge it a couple of hours and messure between the poles after diconnecting the charger with a voltmeter.
Should be around 12V. Start the engine. Messure again. If alternator work it Will raise the voltage to 13.5-14.5V when engine is running. Then you know If you have alternator trouble or just a bad batt. If everything works like described, buy a new battery and your life Will problebly be good again. Lol
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFcavedweller View Post
like it has been said and will be said, there are other things that are easy checks, but these are certainly worth checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
Easy checks. Clean and tighten the power and all grounds (grounds on the battery on the alternator and on the engin and chassis). Drive over to Oreillys or AZ and have them load test your battery and alternator.
Ahem
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Brother, you think you have problems? Try a 21 year old Wrangler.
Try a 30 year old...

To the OP, after saying such hateful words about the jeep...say 10 hail mary's and go to your local exorcist and ask for a quote.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
RazeRogers

Jeep's as is. Today, I'm going to go get a new battery and hope that's all it is and not the alternator. Possibly the optima redtop and thanks for all the advice! and being friendly! hail mary's said...let's get to work!
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Do not wasye money on a optima. Total garbage. Just go to sears and buy a gold or platinum die hard. First check for coroded or loose battery cable,then check for a loose wire at the starter. Keep cursing the Jeep and the gods will make you pay. Now go wax it.
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

And clean your mouth with some very strong chemicals! 
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My grand and TJ do silly things when the battery or its connections get bad or too dirty. I will second getting a Die Hard.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
RazeRogers

i did...i got the gold...optima was too much lol...but yeah seems to be doing great now. I honestly got scared when i read about electrical problems on my year, but new battery seems to have done the trick..and it was the stock battery...so yea you guys helped out a lot and relieved some stress by reading your thoughts...alternator was good too..! so now i can go back to loving my jeep!
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never hate on your Jeep! It just needs a little TLC from time to time

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , electric , fuel , gas , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.