Starter or Mega Fuse problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Starter or Mega Fuse problem?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
MattMansXJ007

Starter or Mega Fuse problem?

My 1998 XJ was running fine then cold hit & bout 5-7 days ago started slow cranking. & thought was cold starts then went from almost didn't start at gas station to won't start at home, this past Friday on Black Friday, guess that's good time as any in a way lol. Anyway it's not even turning over really it was then stopped & just made click so figured ok starter motor or drained battery so since the battery sucked took out to test also but it actually was drained but not bad but had only 520 crank amps & was a refurbished or st, so decided changed out & put a yellow top deep cycle in. Then tested starter & the motor was fried or solenoid fried. So got new one & changed out.

But when I did I noticed a sheet in new starter that said 1996 XJ had a Mega Fuse that was design flaw by Chrysler & they've said to change to fusible link, did they fix that on XJ by1998? Mine doesn't have mega fuse just a wire ontop another wire but does look like it might if had one? So I'm confused there. Also when I went to put on new battery the + cable cane out in my hand! So looked at it & the guy has spliced in a 4ga cable into the factory red + cable for some reason & idkif if he did bcuz of that or WTF is going on.
So I installed starter & wired back fuse enough for connection to check new starter & it cranked right up so I figured ok I can get a new cable & replace it do washed up & cane out & when turned it over it started to but then stopped, & made weird noise again like it slow started but then just killed? I tried to turn it again & the lights & all went off again like b4 when I thought battery was dead but know that optima is brand new do not it, so "safely" lol squashed cables together to c if connection or st, & lights came on when tried to turn over but making clicking noise like strayer is out again! So wtf is my jeep blowing the solenoid or did get bad part or is the + cable BS causing it all &/or bcuz of Mega Fuse? I'm stumped & really don't wanna pay my shop to fix an electrical gremlin or st that could really rack up shop labor hours & parts!

PLEASE anyone that knows what's going on with my jeep or had similar problems, please let me know st. Thank you

MattMansXJ007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMansXJ007 View Post
My 1998 XJ was running fine then cold hit & bout 5-7 days ago started slow cranking. & thought was cold starts then went from almost didn't start at gas station to won't start at home, this past Friday on Black Friday, guess that's good time as any in a way lol. Anyway it's not even turning over really it was then stopped & just made click so figured ok starter motor or drained battery so since the battery sucked took out to test also but it actually was drained but not bad but had only 520 crank amps & was a refurbished or st, so decided changed out & put a yellow top deep cycle in. Then tested starter & the motor was fried or solenoid fried. So got new one & changed out.

But when I did I noticed a sheet in new starter that said 1996 XJ had a Mega Fuse that was design flaw by Chrysler & they've said to change to fusible link, did they fix that on XJ by1998? Mine doesn't have mega fuse just a wire ontop another wire but does look like it might if had one? So I'm confused there. Also when I went to put on new battery the + cable cane out in my hand! So looked at it & the guy has spliced in a 4ga cable into the factory red + cable for some reason & idkif if he did bcuz of that or WTF is going on.
So I installed starter & wired back fuse enough for connection to check new starter & it cranked right up so I figured ok I can get a new cable & replace it do washed up & cane out & when turned it over it started to but then stopped, & made weird noise again like it slow started but then just killed? I tried to turn it again & the lights & all went off again like b4 when I thought battery was dead but know that optima is brand new do not it, so "safely" lol squashed cables together to c if connection or st, & lights came on when tried to turn over but making clicking noise like strayer is out again! So wtf is my jeep blowing the solenoid or did get bad part or is the + cable BS causing it all &/or bcuz of Mega Fuse? I'm stumped & really don't wanna pay my shop to fix an electrical gremlin or st that could really rack up shop labor hours & parts!

PLEASE anyone that knows what's going on with my jeep or had similar problems, please let me know st. Thank you
OEM circuit protection for OBD-II vehicles is using a segment of 10AWG fusible link wire in the OEM 6AWG lead. The MEGA fuse was not used as OEM on the XJ - the only fuses were in the OBD-I PDC, where a pair of MAXI60 fuses was used.

However, retrofitting a MEGA fuse (adding a stud on the other tab of the PDC baseplate) is a common mod, and worthwhile.

If that fuse has been eliminated, I recommend that you replace it ASAP. It's there for a reason!

The stud on have two wires on it from the factory - a feeder lead from the battery, and the alternator output lead. The starter motor lead is separate.

Where was the 4AWG lead spliced in? From the battery, or from the alternator? If it's from the alternator, you need to replace the fuse (whether you get another stud for a MEGA fuse, wire in an ANL fuse holder, or replace the OEM 10AWG fusible link wire - which you have to get from the dealer, so far.)

A "clicking noise" when starting has a couple of potential causes, in your case:
- Failed/failing starter motor solenoid contacts (the plunger pulls in & the drive pinion kicks out, but current does not flow to the main motor.)
- Failed/failing starter motor relay (in the PDC - but it's a much quieter "click.")
- Failed/failing primary lead between the battery and the starter motor.
- Failed/failing starter motor mounting (power comes IN on the mains lead. It grounds through the mount screws & pad. If it comes loose, it may not get full current flowing through it, and that may not be enough to spin the motor. Even without a load, you're still looking at 160-180A to spin the thing!)

I am assuming that the clicking noise is coming from underhood, so we can draw the inference that the ignition electrical switch (atop the column, down by the firewall, I believe) is still okeh.

Good luck!
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
MattMansXJ007

Thanx that's lot help. Yea Idk what the hell the guy b4 me did I had to get a new Kenwood 255-U head unit & 4 new Rockford Fosgate speakers cuz he wired his old ones wrong & backwards at all 4 speakers & head unit! Plus did st Fd up in power, ground , & remote wires! So the the voice coils were blown in 3&1/2 months of me buying it & the CD player was bout to cuz motor was starting to go out to. The guy was a grade A DA! The only reason I say mega fuse is bcuz apparently Chrysler did put them on OEM year 1996 at least I've got the recall about it in my hand that Chrysler sent out(TSB 08-41-95) so either they did use mega fuse in 96 then switched back in 97 or b4 2001 & put back in the fusible link the old 1s had I guess. Ur def right bout all the wiring cuz diagram shows a smaller wire coming to front of junction box then a long fuse or link with nuts hold it & another bigger wire on other terminal that looks to battery wire. I think he took out the fuse or link (idk y ) & maybe spliced the starter wires & Battery wires together & then spliced new battery terminal lead in there to ? Idk it's all messed up I'm gonna undo it tomorrow morning after my church bible study but wanted to get a basic "what the heck could be wrong or could he of done wrong. & etc. " b 4 I opened into it . But the main thing I don't get is that I bought the XJ 7-9 months ago then it drove great other than new tires till bout 3 months ago the fuel pump was going out bcuz screen cabs off. & clogged pump, then 4-6 weeks later the alternator went out, the guy said the battery was close to but had just been purchased in August 2012, but he put in a reconditioned battery & they suck & only had 520 crank amps when XJ calls got 650-750 depending on ca or cca, but then bout a week ago & 4 weeks after alternator this problem started but was just slow starts & thought it was cold starts cuz if weather changing hear in SC, but started doing all this stuff I'd talked bout earlier Wednesday or Thursday then Friday morning it went completely out & the starters solenoids prong that has power wire soldered to it was loss as heck. & the thing was just clicks. & not shooting the gear out. But put new 1 in. & replaced with a yellow top optima deep cycle battery with 750 ca. & 900 cca so I'm thinking it's gotta be the wiring. & the junction box but idk y it just started up when cold came tho? The power wire maybe slowly worked its way loss I'm thinkn. & caused it plus the starter was close to toast but thinkn he had the low amp in there & by pure accident the low amp didn't blow the thing or st like that & now that I've upgraded to the proper amps or actually bout 100-150 over each it's maybe firing new starter, since it only started up bout 3-4 times b4 it went right back to doing the same as old 1. What do u think on that assumption?
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
MattMansXJ007

Hey idk if this will help in helping me diagnose problem but hope so. The 1st pic of the sheet shows mega fuse for 1996 but other years supposedly used this or a 10AWG fusible link or st? the other pics r what mine looks like & the last pics show how he spliced the power cable from box & power line to starter into the 1 new + cable that leads to terminal. Which he didn't crimp just spun them around each other! So that's y it originally came off in my hand on Friday but when put new battery & starter in & got cable connected enough to start it did start good but only 4-7 times then started back with the old Stanton's if sometimes no lights or acc cone on other times they do but soon as I try to turn over it clicks like starter solenoid blew or motor blew again or relay got fried or st? Could it b bcuz how he did this crap instead of fusible link or mega fuse? Here's pics.
image-1071163316.jpg

image-45624221.jpg

image-1784157066.jpg

image-2196453292.jpg

image-3494641969.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.