Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which speakers to replace factory speakers

732 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
I have the cheaper radio in my jeep. Think it's the 130 but it doesn't have blue tooth on it. The sound is terrible. Several questions....
1) If I replace the factory speakers with an upgraded speaker, will that radio (head unit) be good enough to get better sound quality with upgraded speakers.
2) If so....what brand is the best? I've heard the factory system with the alpine speakers and it sounded pretty good. So are the alpine speakers fairly good speakers? I've seen where a lot of people are using the Kicker speakers and a few other brands (can't remember their names). Which speakers are the best for the factory cheaper radio.
3) Does my radio have an amp? Will I need an amp for better quality speakers?
4) My radio doesn't have a sub woofer in the back so would it be better to add a sub as well and will it work with the factory radio I have now?

Several months ago I was at Car Toys talking to them about different radios and speakers. I told him that years ago, I had a 2003 TJ and had them replace the radio and speakers. Told him that I didn't like the way the radio sounded after I did that. In fact told him that the factory sounded better than what they put in. He told me that's because the factory speakers have paper for the front of the speakers and that gives a better sound that some of the after market speakers that don't have paper. Not sure what he meant by that exactly. I thought all speakers were made the same way as far as having paper on them.

What I want is to be able to hear the base more. Not the boom boom boom base that these younger people like. But I do like to hear the base. So, is the factory radio capable of producing the base sound I'm looking for and does it already have some kind of an amp built in? Will just replacing the speakers with better quality speakers make a noticeable difference or do I really need to upgrade the whole system.....radio, amp, sub woofer and new speakers? I don't really like after market radios that much. The unit themselves just doesn't appeal to me. If I did upgrade the radio, I would want to do it with a Double Din radio I think. Actually the radio I really like is the one that is in my Dodge RAM pickup. It's the 430N. But I don't want to spend that much on a head unit.

Anyhow....any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The 130 most likely doesn't have an amp. For bass response, an amp and a sub is the fix. Aftermarket radios will fit with very minor mods and will deliver much more options and better sound.

You will need a CANBUS interface for any aftermarket radio, which will also allow you to keep your steering wheel controls.I can't say anything about speakers as I left my stock ones in when i went with my Pioneer HU. I'm planning on adding an amp at some point but I need to do other things to the Jeep first and my sound is decent.

You can pick up a 430N reasonable if you look, it's in the range of a good aftermarket price wise, and that becomes more plug and play but double din aftermarket units have become even better and like I said, require very little to fit and work.

#3 ·
Could I just add the amp and sub to the factory radio? Right now the speakers I have are so bad. One in the sound bar sounds like there is a screw rolling around in there when I turn the base up. I hate it. Playing a CD sounds a lot better than the radio does. I'm trying to come up with something that isn't too expensive but yet has better sound than I have now.

#4 ·
#5 ·
the head unit just sucks big time. Any head unit will sound better. The Kicker speakers are a relatively quick and easy fix for the speakers:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm

I added the Joying Android head unit, you can see my thread on it here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/just-ordered-android-head-unit-joying-jeep-specific-3829473/

I love it, but it is not for everyone. I have 4 of the above mentioned 77KICK10 speakers as well, and it made a HUGE improvement. For bass you will have to get a sub. I have the Kicker VSS and I love it, but is is pricey:

http://www.kicker.com/SWRA411

my Father in Law got the Stealthbox, and it also is pricey but it sounds pretty great

#6 ·
Just to add, the new Joyings are a much improved product. I had an older Joying 4.4 HU in my Ram and loved it. Based on that unit, my buddy just bought a Joying Android 6 unit for his Ram. The tuner issues seem to be gone and the versatility of this unit is great. Pretty reasonable too, about $300. If I didn't already have a good Pioneer 4100NEX, I would be installing a Joying in the Jeep. I may still do it in the future.

#8 ·
Joying is a Chinese brand/reseller of Android head units. Not Android Auto, but full on Android in a head unit.

Kind of like having an Android tablet slapped in your dash.

Joying 4.4 is in reference to the older units running Android 4.4

The current models run Android 6.0

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
@Mike-Mike

On your 8", does the screen block anything important and does the base unit fit in the stock opening? Need the Metra Kit for double din?

Any thoughts if the 10.1 will fit and not block the vents and cubby?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.