Speaker Upgrade - Need Some Help! - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
PCfirefighter
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 44
Speaker Upgrade - Need Some Help!

Have a '99 TJ ... New Owner of a Jeep

Looking to upgrade speakers all around.

Dash Speakers: Would anyone suggest going from 4x6 to 5.25? I know I would need a adapter. Does it sound better? Would any suggest component for the dash speakers or straight 5.25

Sound bar : Its a 2 speaker sound bar with 5.25 in them. I def want to upgrade these. Stay with 5.25 or go 6.5? I do want to component, so is it easy to add the tweeter? There is padding around the sound bar, and I guess i will have to cut into it.

I am upgrading by head unit and already been purchased.

PCfirefighter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
NalinMFG
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCfirefighter View Post
Have a '99 TJ ... New Owner of a Jeep

Looking to upgrade speakers all around.

Dash Speakers: Would anyone suggest going from 4x6 to 5.25? I know I would need a adapter. Does it sound better? Would any suggest component for the dash speakers or straight 5.25

Sound bar : Its a 2 speaker sound bar with 5.25 in them. I def want to upgrade these. Stay with 5.25 or go 6.5? I do want to component, so is it easy to add the tweeter? There is padding around the sound bar, and I guess i will have to cut into it.

I am upgrading by head unit and already been purchased.
PCfirefighter,
I may be slightly biased towards 5.25"s in the dash, but I love them. 6.5"s are the way to go in the sound bar. Below is a link with several customer reviews if you are looking for some first hand experience with 5.25"s in the dash.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...inmfg-1325275/

NalinMFG is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
enjoislipknot
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 6
Why not go the right way and get 5.25 in back and 4x6 in the dash...then say two tens in the back or a single ten. dont mess around with "bass" be bumping!!
enjoislipknot is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
gily25
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,262
The right way would be 4 matching speakers or a properly amped front stage; not 4x6" speakers.

I say go with 4 5.25" If you're adding a sub and the 6.5" in the soundbar if you're not. You don't really need components...amplifying the dash speaker gives a better result.

iPhone app user; excuse typos...thanx.
gily25 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
bobthetj03
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,291
^^
What gily said. 5.25's in the sound bar works fine too. They are so close to your ear they are only good for fill IMO. Fade the sound bar's down and focus your sound stage on the dash speakers. Put some foam enclosures behind the dash speakers for a little added clean.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0793.JPG  

Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
NalinMFG
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoislipknot View Post
Why not go the right way and get 5.25 in back and 4x6 in the dash...then say two tens in the back or a single ten. dont mess around with "bass" be bumping!!
Care to elaborate on your "right way" theory?
NalinMFG is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
PCfirefighter
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 44
Thanks for the info guys! ....
PCfirefighter is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
enjoislipknot
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG

Care to elaborate on your "right way" theory?
Well eh my right way would be a mono block amp and 2 channel amp with probably a good 0 ga. Wire set pretty good hu with pre amp outputs and a couple tens considering that's all the bigger you can fit in a jeep. But I just don't think 5 1/4 are very sufficient for bass..technically they are mid range.. that's def. My opinion but I like good bass with good treble as well.
enjoislipknot is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
terpsmandan
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,167
i had the pods in my 05 and replaced the OEM speakers with infinity 4". I used the adapter brackets in my 00 and they were ok but i traded that one in on the 05 that I have now. When I went to upgrade the speakers, I tried the 5.25 brackets and the tweeters were buried behind the dash and didn't sound that good so I used the pods and it was a huge difference.
terpsmandan is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
gily25
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,262
I don't think anyone was tryin to substitute midrange speakers for sub bass...Most people want to replace their scratch paper oem junk...we help with the sizes and hope they audition speakers to pick the right brand.

I've seen 4 15's in a jeep each with their own amp...profile on car domain actually saw the vehicle in Miami. There are a few jks with fiberglass craziness that made the show circuits in 2008ish. It's usually overkill...most listeners would be fine with an 8" near them (look at how many people are happy with their upgraded center console sub. Others have no interest or money for a sub...for them spending money on a quality set of midrange speakers is the best route.

For those who want more, a good quality 10 or 12 in the right enclosure backed with rms at the high end of the subs handling will hit harder than expected for a jeep.

The reason to pair the subs with a decent front stage; 5.25's, amped is better is because if you're investing all that money and running quality threads you might as well have some lyrics with your bass.

I guess it depends on whether you dig SQL or spl.

iPhone app user; excuse typos...thanx.
gily25 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
enjoislipknot
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
I don't think anyone was tryin to substitute midrange speakers for sub bass...Most people want to replace their scratch paper oem junk...we help with the sizes and hope they audition speakers to pick the right brand.

I've seen 4 15's in a jeep each with their own amp...profile on car domain actually saw the vehicle in Miami. There are a few jks with fiberglass craziness that made the show circuits in 2008ish. It's usually overkill...most listeners would be fine with an 8" near them (look at how many people are happy with their upgraded center console sub. Others have no interest or money for a sub...for them spending money on a quality set of midrange speakers is the best route.

For those who want more, a good quality 10 or 12 in the right enclosure backed with rms at the high end of the subs handling will hit harder than expected for a jeep.

The reason to pair the subs with a decent front stage; 5.25's, amped is better is because if you're investing all that money and running quality threads you might as well have some lyrics with your bass.

I guess it depends on whether you dig SQL or spl.
I guess I dig spl and sq
enjoislipknot is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
NalinMFG
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
I don't think anyone was tryin to substitute midrange speakers for sub bass...Most people want to replace their scratch paper oem junk...we help with the sizes and hope they audition speakers to pick the right brand.
Correct. Factory 4"x6"s are junk, and unless you buy another junk replacement from the dealer, you need some form of an adapter to go 4"x6" or 5.25". Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were getting at...I thought you were suggesting that a 4"x6" is a better choice than a 5.25".
NalinMFG is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
patman2k
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 5
Polk makes some 50w 4x6's that are great for the dash speakers. They are also marine grade, so they won't mind getting a little wet. The 40w have the tweeter that sticks out too far and they won't mount properly without spacers.
patman2k is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Nyteryder3
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 52
for my money the best thing i have found is to keep the stock 4x6's in the dash and upgrade the rears to 6.5's. I also added the sky-dock with two 4"s that have made a huge difference. I also added a 10" subwoofer in the rear. all in all my system sounds solid. The sky-dock does a great job of sending sound directly to you and the passenger.
Nyteryder3 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 7,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyteryder3
for my money the best thing i have found is to keep the stock 4x6's in the dash and upgrade the rears to 6.5's. I also added the sky-dock with two 4"s that have made a huge difference. I also added a 10" subwoofer in the rear. all in all my system sounds solid. The sky-dock does a great job of sending sound directly to you and the passenger.
4x6 and 6.5 is a pretty large size gap. As all ready said the best set up will come from having speakers all the same size. IMO the best set up for a Jeep is 5.25" all around with a sub (all amped of course). Personally I have infinity kappa 5.25 in the front and 6.5" in the back because I don't want a sub taking up space and figuring out where to put another amp that wont die from water. For me the bass is fine.

I have the nalin brackets in the front with coax speakers. If I were to do it again I would also get the nalin tweeter brackets and components. Right now the front highs struggle because the dash speaker covers are so stifling and point sound down.
freeskier93 is offline  
Reply

Tags
sound bar , speaker , speaker replacements , speaker size

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
help w/ speaker upgrade no amp wrscpc07 Stereos, CB & Ham Radios & GPS & Electrical. 13 02-10-2012 03:24 PM
Speaker upgrade in 97 TJ seaeagle Stereos, CB & Ham Radios & GPS & Electrical. 56 04-26-2011 07:41 PM
speaker upgrade RickyLisk Stereos, CB & Ham Radios & GPS & Electrical. 0 10-19-2010 05:13 PM
Speaker Upgrade TylerFlip Stereos, CB & Ham Radios & GPS & Electrical. 10 10-17-2009 08:47 PM
speaker upgrade for under $100 bikerack Stereos, CB & Ham Radios & GPS & Electrical. 8 05-17-2005 10:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome