Speaker Upgrade - Need Some Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Speaker Upgrade - Need Some Help!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
PCfirefighter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Speaker Upgrade - Need Some Help!

Have a '99 TJ ... New Owner of a Jeep

Looking to upgrade speakers all around.

Dash Speakers: Would anyone suggest going from 4x6 to 5.25? I know I would need a adapter. Does it sound better? Would any suggest component for the dash speakers or straight 5.25

Sound bar : Its a 2 speaker sound bar with 5.25 in them. I def want to upgrade these. Stay with 5.25 or go 6.5? I do want to component, so is it easy to add the tweeter? There is padding around the sound bar, and I guess i will have to cut into it.

I am upgrading by head unit and already been purchased.

PCfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCfirefighter View Post
Have a '99 TJ ... New Owner of a Jeep

Looking to upgrade speakers all around.

Dash Speakers: Would anyone suggest going from 4x6 to 5.25? I know I would need a adapter. Does it sound better? Would any suggest component for the dash speakers or straight 5.25

Sound bar : Its a 2 speaker sound bar with 5.25 in them. I def want to upgrade these. Stay with 5.25 or go 6.5? I do want to component, so is it easy to add the tweeter? There is padding around the sound bar, and I guess i will have to cut into it.

I am upgrading by head unit and already been purchased.
PCfirefighter,
I may be slightly biased towards 5.25"s in the dash, but I love them. 6.5"s are the way to go in the sound bar. Below is a link with several customer reviews if you are looking for some first hand experience with 5.25"s in the dash.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...inmfg-1325275/

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
enjoislipknot
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why not go the right way and get 5.25 in back and 4x6 in the dash...then say two tens in the back or a single ten. dont mess around with "bass" be bumping!!
enjoislipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The right way would be 4 matching speakers or a properly amped front stage; not 4x6" speakers.

I say go with 4 5.25" If you're adding a sub and the 6.5" in the soundbar if you're not. You don't really need components...amplifying the dash speaker gives a better result.
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^
What gily said. 5.25's in the sound bar works fine too. They are so close to your ear they are only good for fill IMO. Fade the sound bar's down and focus your sound stage on the dash speakers. Put some foam enclosures behind the dash speakers for a little added clean.
100_0793.jpg  

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoislipknot View Post
Why not go the right way and get 5.25 in back and 4x6 in the dash...then say two tens in the back or a single ten. dont mess around with "bass" be bumping!!
Care to elaborate on your "right way" theory?

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
PCfirefighter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys! ....
PCfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
enjoislipknot
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG

Care to elaborate on your "right way" theory?
Well eh my right way would be a mono block amp and 2 channel amp with probably a good 0 ga. Wire set pretty good hu with pre amp outputs and a couple tens considering that's all the bigger you can fit in a jeep. But I just don't think 5 1/4 are very sufficient for bass..technically they are mid range.. that's def. My opinion but I like good bass with good treble as well.
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i had the pods in my 05 and replaced the OEM speakers with infinity 4". I used the adapter brackets in my 00 and they were ok but i traded that one in on the 05 that I have now. When I went to upgrade the speakers, I tried the 5.25 brackets and the tweeters were buried behind the dash and didn't sound that good so I used the pods and it was a huge difference.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think anyone was tryin to substitute midrange speakers for sub bass...Most people want to replace their scratch paper oem junk...we help with the sizes and hope they audition speakers to pick the right brand.

I've seen 4 15's in a jeep each with their own amp...profile on car domain actually saw the vehicle in Miami. There are a few jks with fiberglass craziness that made the show circuits in 2008ish. It's usually overkill...most listeners would be fine with an 8" near them (look at how many people are happy with their upgraded center console sub. Others have no interest or money for a sub...for them spending money on a quality set of midrange speakers is the best route.

For those who want more, a good quality 10 or 12 in the right enclosure backed with rms at the high end of the subs handling will hit harder than expected for a jeep.

The reason to pair the subs with a decent front stage; 5.25's, amped is better is because if you're investing all that money and running quality threads you might as well have some lyrics with your bass.

I guess it depends on whether you dig SQL or spl.
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
enjoislipknot
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
I don't think anyone was tryin to substitute midrange speakers for sub bass...Most people want to replace their scratch paper oem junk...we help with the sizes and hope they audition speakers to pick the right brand.

I've seen 4 15's in a jeep each with their own amp...profile on car domain actually saw the vehicle in Miami. There are a few jks with fiberglass craziness that made the show circuits in 2008ish. It's usually overkill...most listeners would be fine with an 8" near them (look at how many people are happy with their upgraded center console sub. Others have no interest or money for a sub...for them spending money on a quality set of midrange speakers is the best route.

For those who want more, a good quality 10 or 12 in the right enclosure backed with rms at the high end of the subs handling will hit harder than expected for a jeep.

The reason to pair the subs with a decent front stage; 5.25's, amped is better is because if you're investing all that money and running quality threads you might as well have some lyrics with your bass.

I guess it depends on whether you dig SQL or spl.
I guess I dig spl and sq
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Correct. Factory 4"x6"s are junk, and unless you buy another junk replacement from the dealer, you need some form of an adapter to go 4"x6" or 5.25". Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were getting at...I thought you were suggesting that a 4"x6" is a better choice than a 5.25".

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
patman2k
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Polk makes some 50w 4x6's that are great for the dash speakers. They are also marine grade, so they won't mind getting a little wet. The 40w have the tweeter that sticks out too far and they won't mount properly without spacers.
patman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Nyteryder3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

for my money the best thing i have found is to keep the stock 4x6's in the dash and upgrade the rears to 6.5's. I also added the sky-dock with two 4"s that have made a huge difference. I also added a 10" subwoofer in the rear. all in all my system sounds solid. The sky-dock does a great job of sending sound directly to you and the passenger.
Nyteryder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyteryder3
for my money the best thing i have found is to keep the stock 4x6's in the dash and upgrade the rears to 6.5's. I also added the sky-dock with two 4"s that have made a huge difference. I also added a 10" subwoofer in the rear. all in all my system sounds solid. The sky-dock does a great job of sending sound directly to you and the passenger.
4x6 and 6.5 is a pretty large size gap. As all ready said the best set up will come from having speakers all the same size. IMO the best set up for a Jeep is 5.25" all around with a sub (all amped of course). Personally I have infinity kappa 5.25 in the front and 6.5" in the back because I don't want a sub taking up space and figuring out where to put another amp that wont die from water. For me the bass is fine.

I have the nalin brackets in the front with coax speakers. If I were to do it again I would also get the nalin tweeter brackets and components. Right now the front highs struggle because the dash speaker covers are so stifling and point sound down.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sound bar , speaker , speaker replacements , speaker size

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.