Speaker suggestions 2-10" or 1-12" ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Speaker suggestions 2-10" or 1-12" ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

SeatBox Speaker suggestions 2-10" or 1-12" ?

I have a 2001 Jeep TJ, I lifted the seat using tuffy seat brackets and I am looking to put in one of these speaker boxes:

I have the choice of 2-10" speakers or 1-12" speaker. and I am stuck with a mounting depth of 5.25 (5 1/4)

I am limited to about 1 foot of air space.. so two 10's would have to be rated at .5 if I understand this correctly.

What would you suggest?

Also.. adding to the mix of things and using the same box, what brand speakers are you using?

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!

Last edited by Unscathed; 11-02-2007 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: clarification
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you looking for heavy bass, or tight sound quality?

If you're just looking to boom...then go with one 12...if you want a better, tighter sound, then IMO go with the 2 10's.

But I'll even change it up a bit more and say that I have that same setup in my TJ and I'm running only one 10 and it hits hard.

The TJ has very limited space so a little goes a long way.

I'm certain SirGcal will chime in anytime now...
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I want heavy, but I don't want sloppy.. so if I had to choose, it would be tight bass over all..

I listen to alot of bassy rock music like Korn and such.. occasional pop..

I am used to sound systems in cars that are closed up.. not jeeps... it's a different world

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely a different world. If it were me I'd go with the two 10's...I think that'll give you tighter kick drum bass.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed

I am used to sound systems in cars that are closed up.. not jeeps... it's a different world
Not necessarily true. While Jeeps aren't as sealed or "soundproof" as other vehicles, with an appropriate box/sub combo, you can make a Jeep sound pretty good.

For the sake of full disclosure, I run 2 10" Infinity subs in a hardtop YJ, which makes a difference. With decent sound-isolating material such as Dynamat or cheaper knock-offs, you can make the sound in a Jeep sound as good as most other vehicles.

With all that said, if you're running with a soft top or run topless often, it won't make much difference, so don't waste your money on my suggestions. Just enjoy the boom you get from a down-firing sub and call it good.

And for the music you said you listen to, go with 2 10's. It'll sound more defined and will keep your hearing for another year or two longer than with 12's...
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
orangez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

im not a wrangler owner but ive done a crapload of searching on subs in wranglers and almost everyone says the best way to keep the bass in, even with the top off is a downfiring box either inside (SirGCal's design) or behind the backseat. just my 2 cents. but back to the original question, i think you would be better off with 1 12, than looking for a pair of subs that fit into those requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonethelunkerl View Post
now all i need to do is learn how to work on my own stuff, that is prolly 5-10 years down the road though
orangez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.