Speaker keeps shorting out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Speaker keeps shorting out?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Speaker keeps shorting out?

I'm not the most knowledgeable about speakers but I have replaced them many times without problem. This time, I haven't been so lucky. I replaced the speakers in my sound bar with a pair of Pyles a few weeks ago. They're crap so I bought a pair of Kickers the other day. I installed them without any problems but when I turn the radio on, one speaker makes a god awful noise like an air horn and then all the speakers go dead. I turn off the radio and turn it back on and the same thing happens, sometimes immediately, sometimes after a minute or two. I removed the speaker and I don't see anything wrong. If I hold it in my hand and turn on the radio, it's fine. If I told it in the place where it goes in the sound bar, no problem. It's where I start putting screws in that gets me. I don't see any metal touching though. Very confusing.

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What head unit? oem? Are these amped? It sounds like a "power" problem (clipping) and not the speaker.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see how it could be an amp thing... I replaced the two 6 inch speakers with another pair of 6 inch speakers a month or so ago and they worked fine. I didn't like the sound quality at all so I upgraded to better speakers, rated to handle even more power from the amps. These work fine when I'm holding it in my hand but when I actually start screwing it in the sound bar, that's when it goes bonkers.
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That the problem only happens when you screw the new speakers to the soundbar was the needed clue. It sounds like the speaker's negative connection point is tied to the speaker's frame and you likely have the wires switched + for - where they connect to the speakers. So when you mount the speakers, you are shorting the + speaker wire to ground because it is probably connected to the speaker's negative connector which sounds like it is also connected to the speaker frame.

Switch the speaker wiring where it connects to the speaker, + for -, and I'm thinking that will cure the problem.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you Obi-wan Jerry... =)
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think this was it because I did put in new speakers a month ago and just didn't like them. I'm sure I hooked them up the same way.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Think about it... the speakers work fine until you screw them in so the speaker frame touches metal on the Jeep. That says the speaker frame is "hot" and shorting the amplifier output to ground. The only way that can happen is if the speaker frame is somehow "live". Usually however, the speaker frame is isolated from the + and - speaker connections so something is wrong with the speaker or there is a speaker wire shorting from the - or + speaker connection to the speaker chassis.

So either the speaker has a defective design so its frame is touching the + side of the speaker connection, or you reversed the speaker wiring connection to the speaker (+ going to the - side and visa-versa) and the speaker's negative connection is common to the speaker frame.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
casperbrown
1993 XJ Cherokee 

try to put black tape on the speaker mounting holes in order to keep it from coming in contact with the screw and shorting it out (if it is shorting out the tape should insulate and prevent current from traveling from point a to point b) if shortings the problem than the tape should remedy it.
casperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll play with it a little more tonight. Messed around some last night and couldn't figure it out. When I put the speaker up in the hole of the sound bar, it's not touching anything. If I move it to the side, it hits something and shorts out. I checked the amps and their grounded and all the connections are fine.
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

maybe the terminals are hitting something in the soundbar enclosure and shorting that way. You've had them in and out a few times so check to make sure the wires didn't get accidentally screwed through also.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
SirGCal

It sounds like it's simply shorting out somewhere. Check the wires to make sure it's not chaffed somewhere (first guess). Make sure the terminals on the speaker aren't touching something... If you need to, you could use foam baffles (they won't affect sound, but will insulate the speaker from touching anything) and mount them that way. If it's a short directly around the speaker, that would solve the problem. Still the proper way would be find what's shorting and properly fix it...

Other thoughts; Are your terminals simply metal? Is putting the speaker in causing them to come together and touch?

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think they're touching anything... nothing. I can hold it in the soundbar hole and it's fine... but if I move it to the side at all, it hits something and the speaker makes a noise and then cuts out.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
SirGCal

It sounds like it's shorting out on the soundbar... Have you tried at least taping up the terminals with electrical tape?

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

No because I found it hard to beleive they were actually touching anything but I suppose it's possible. I'll do that tonght and see if anything chnages. It amost seemed like the side of the speake was hitting something but I know that can't be it. I've actually stuck the speaker on the roll bar while reaching for something and the magnet holds it there... it played fine so it's not the speaker itself but apparently the terminals that are hosing it up.
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I switched the speakers, meaning I put the one on the left side on the right and vice versa... no more problems. Doesn't make any sense. There's no difference in the speakers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.