Soundbar speaker connection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Soundbar speaker connection

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
LTR223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Soundbar speaker connection

I went to replace the speakers in my soundbar and noticed that the speakers have four connections to them instead of the usual two. The new ones I bought only had two connections apeice. Why the extra?

LTR223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
mattiemo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the extra wires would go o the tweeter in the speakes(the little speaker in a 2-way speaker) i dont know that tjs ever came with a factory amp. but my cry. cirrus has a factory amp with 4 wires per a speaker. you can just cap off the wires but keep in mind the wires intended to go to the tweeters may have a bass blocker or the amp may be set up to only allow higher freq. to the tweeters. if it sounds like you arnt getting any bass out of the speakers try the other set of wires
mattiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
LTR223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. The current speakers are Alpine SPR 174A 160w and need replacing and so I bought some Pioneer speakers but they did not have the sound like the Alpines do. Still searching.
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you may want to try running new wires (tuck them away later if they make a difference) just to see if there is a bass blocker in the line. It's easier than looking for the actual capacitor (altho it's usually near the speaker).
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
TMar

I assume something was wrong with the Alpines? If not Pioneer is a few steps down from Alpine.
TMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
LTR223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gily25: Thanks for the info. I will look for the blocker.

TMar: The tweeter came loose and was sounding real bad. I then had a GREAT idea and glued it back. WRONG! Sounds horrible now. I use to think that Pioneer was the best but obviously not.
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of audio companies have had major shifts over the years. Many have been bought out by "junk" audio companies as a way to use to the recognized brand to push their cheap equipment. No matter what you buy, cheap brand good brand competition brand, always try to run a google search and see what people are complaining about. You may still want to go with your preferred or budget friendly brand but then you can beware of certain issues and models you may want to avoid. Unless you're on a strict budget a lot of times it's good to avoid the "lowest" level of a brand's offerings, just because they don't spend a lot of time in development for that price point. Pioneer is a perfect example of this...they have their "Wal mart" selection but then every year they sponsor a build competition with their higher level equipment.

What kind of head unit are you using? You may need to adjust the settings to make the pioneers sound better.
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
LTR223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It is a Sony. Not sure of the model but it came with the jeep and it works. Even plays different types of cd's and mp3 compatible. The front comes off but I can not figure out how to do it though. I am often suprised when I come out of a store that it has not been lifted.
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sony is known to have a high level of distortion and poor sound filters which may lose your ability to control the speakers to the degree that you'd like. Speakers with a paper cone have a harder time ignoring these sensitive sounds (think of how nicely a bose wave radio with it's paper speakers generates sound so effortlessly) but speakers with cones made of fiber, plastic, kevlar have an easier time ignoring subtle sounds. These kind of speakers usually have a tweeter mouted to them to produce the missing sounds and the "non-paper" cone is better for producing low freqs. This is something for all Jeepers to keep in mind, we typically avoid the paper b/c we want waterproof but if using an inexpensive h/u here is another reason to avoid.

Can I assume that the pioneers are paper cone?

Is it a flip down face? Those are the trickiest faceplates to remove. You do whatever you do to let the face down (like putting in a cd) then you either tug it gently left or right and it'll release from the wheel that pulls the face up and down.

If it isn't a flip face there should be a button in one of the corners of the face that "ejects" the face from the rest of the unit.
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
LTR223
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the Pioneers. It is a flip down and I will try removing it hopefully today. Thanks for the info.
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
JeepJeep31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

LTR223

When I put a set of Pinoneers in my sound bar I went to bestbuy and got a speaker adapter for 5 bucks that plugs right into the facorty wires.

I had to adjust the output for the base through my new JVC head unit so that it sounded good and clear.

Sorry so late but I did this about a year ago and it was simple.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.