Sound System upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
MudBoner

Garage
Sound System upgrade

I am not that knowledgeable with how the electrical side of things with my jeep but I have people who can help install the systems. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise of what a difference it would make if I replaced my stock amp with an upgraded version but kept my speakers stock. I am looking for a little more bass and sound (we all know that the stock system is kind of crap) because with the top off I have to blast my speakers and its just not what I wan to do. Also if people could send some recommendations on what brands to use, that would be great. I have read up on a few threads of what kinds are better than others but I would like to know from people that have the systems themselves. Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

While a better amp will certainly help your sound, replacing the stock speakers is almost a necessity. They are most likely not rated for the additional power you would be putting in to them. There are better speakers available that will fit and be compatible with the increased power that the amp will be pushing.

As I'm not really an audiophile, I'll let others weigh in with what they have found to be a good combination.

Also, if you fill out your profile, that will help us help you.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard to get much bass in an open Jeep. But as cranbiz said above, speakers are really key to getting a significant improvement in sound quality. Polk's DB series of speaker have a great reputation among Jeepers and are highly moisture resistant too. They don't take a lot of power to drive them fully so they work very well with just a head unit that doesn't also have an external higher wattage amplifier.

There is a new radio out by Sony with an honest 40 RMS watts per channel x 4 for a total of 160 RMS watts, that additional power can really perk up a sound system. This is the one I'd like to replace my current lower power Sony head unit with... https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEXM100B...f_rd_i=desktop

That Sony, which also includes Bluetooth which I am jonesing for in my Jeep radio, has about double the normal wattage power when compared to other similar car stereos.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.